Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

? about GOOD Chainrings

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

? about GOOD Chainrings

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
? about GOOD Chainrings

I just got into the fixed gear craze, I've been riding a Schwinn Paramount and now a Trek T1, I'll put a review later.

It comes standard with a Stronglight CT2 49T 130mm chainring and a 15T cog. I want a 42/15 and 42/17 combo depending on the riding that I do, 49T is too tall, I'm practically cruising downhill.

I want a comparable or better chainring, in quality. I could only find the Stronglight in Europe, I think they are french, correct? Anyone know a dealer in the US, or a comparable chainring in black

Thanks,
Oscar
Old 03-06-08, 04:16 PM

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a 144 drivetrain
Old 03-06-08, 04:19 PM
out of shape

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
business cycles can get you the stronglight, i think. you could just get a 17 and a 19 cog, though; you may not be able to get a 42 in a 144bcd stronglight ring.
Old 03-06-08, 04:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why do you say to go with the 144? For the type of riding that I do, I want a high 60 to low 70 gear inches.
Old 03-06-08, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the same bike, with the same stock chainring but got rid of the 15T cog straight away since it was too small (whats up with that Trek, 1/8 chainring and chain but 3/32 cog??) and replaced it with a EAI 18T. It's perfect for me now, and no problem up or down. Chain and chainring are still doing good and can't see why I should replace them.

The bigger the chainring, the more street-rezpekkt u get!
Old 03-06-08, 05:06 PM
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kemfizix
why do you say to go with the 144? For the type of riding that I do, I want a high 60 to low 70 gear inches.
he meant a 144bcd. Basically chainring bolts have various bolt diameters. 144bcd is common for track chainrigs because they are usually the ones with 1/8 thick chainrings and these are very easy to find when you want to keep you drive chain at 1/8th. When you have a different bcd it is common that it is going to be 3/32nd thickness which is usually a road chainring.
This man explain better than I do:
https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#chain
Old 03-06-08, 05:07 PM
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
My experience has confirmed time and again: steel chainrings will outlast aluminum chainrings of the same width several times.

7075-(T6) aluminum chainrings will outlive 6061-(T6) aluminum chainrings 2 to 1, due to the much higher hardness of 7075 vs 6061 (at parity of temper).

Finally, due to the shape of the teeth which in case of 3/32" chainrings are tapering down very quickly to a tiny point, vs. the ones on 1/8" which maintain a much more "full-figured" shape, 1/8" chainrings will last about 3 times longer than 3/32" at parity of material and temper.

The worst chainrings I have ever used were the 3/32" Rocket Rings. Avoid like plague. The best aluminum chainrings I have ever used were 1/8" suginos and 3/32" Salsa chainrings (I wish they had them in 1/8"). The Surly stainless steel chainring I bought a couple of years ago still looks like new - practically unblemished.

Last edited by wroomwroomoops; 03-06-08 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-06-08, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyeswho
he meant a 144bcd. Basically chainring bolts have various bolt diameters. 144bcd is common for track chainrigs because they are usually the ones with 1/8 thick chainrings and these are very easy to find when you want to keep you drive chain at 1/8th. When you have a different bcd it is common that it is going to be 3/32nd thickness which is usually a road chainring.
This man explain better than I do:
https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#chain
That's not what it means - the bolts aren't a different diameter, the bolt circle is.
Old 03-06-08, 05:50 PM
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tmanAg08
That's not what it means - the bolts aren't a different diameter, the bolt circle is.
ooops my mistake, but you knew what I was getting at
Old 03-07-08, 01:12 AM
out of shape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, if you mean 130mm as the bolt circle diameter (bcd) then you should be able to get a 42t stronglight. otherwise the sugino zen messenger is 1/8" and 130bcd and is a nice ring.

i still maintain that it's more versatile to get a 18t cog than to replace a perfectly good ring, especially since it's mentioned above that it's 3/32". 49t gives you more skid patches, if that's important, and cogs are cheaper than rings.
Old 03-10-08, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a 17t EAI cog which puts me at 75 inches. It's really nice and I can keep a good pace doing hills. Thanks everyone
Old 03-10-08, 02:37 PM
matters cryptozoological

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it gives me a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling whenever i see this forum being used in constructive ways like this.

...anyways, glad to hear you got it fixed kemfizix. keep riding