Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

V-brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-03, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V-brakes

Do V-brakes work well with STI shifters? I just bought my first cyclocross bike and it has cantis that I am not happy with. The rear does an acceptable job but I tend to use the front brake alot more on my bikes and it doesn't seem to have enough stopping power. It also makes a very loud sqeeking nose and is not very smooth at all.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-18-03, 11:43 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
No, STI levers do not have enough pull. ....unless you use a little gizmo like the 'travel agent' which increases the cable pull.
Use this with your new V-brakes:
https://www.gearshark.com/finder/deta...8002.html?no_f

George
Old 10-18-03, 11:49 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want more power you might want to look at spooky brakes, or frogleggs they offer more stopping power but are harder to setup. Even with travel agents v-brakes don't work that great with STI levers.
Old 10-18-03, 11:55 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I agree with Kev. I replaced the cantis on my tandem once with V-brakes using the travel agents. No improvement. Froglegs or even the really old Shimano frogleg cantis offer so much more stopping power.

George
Old 10-19-03, 06:56 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really sounds as if your front brake is not set up right. You might check clearances and "toe in" on your pads.
Old 11-01-03, 07:20 AM
idontbelievetyler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The device required in order to use v-brakes with STI levers is a pain to set up and a dirt magnet. I tried it a couple of years ago and I had nothing but problems with the performance. Get some avids, they are a breeze to adjust your left-right rim clearance fields and are not that expensive. Shorty 4s for low budget and the Shorty TIs for all out.
Old 12-30-03, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Pieced together Schwinn Moab hardtail w/ Judy SL and Thudbuster post (my weekday commuter and weekend XC bike). GT ZRX Cyclocross bike. Haro 24 Backtrail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Vbrakes

I have Avid 5 Vbrakes w/ the pully adapters (front and rear) on my GT ZRX cx bike. The pully system was tricky at first but my LBS owner/mechanic modified them to install/remove much more easily. The braking power is incredible and my bike will stop on a dime. They work better than the stock cants that came w/ the bike. I have also added on the Tektro top mount brake levers and love them. Braking is still amazing and they work perfectly w/ the my 105 STI dual control levers.
Old 12-31-03, 01:37 AM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking of V-Brakes... has anyone tried the Tektro Mini-V Brakes? I've only seen CX bikes on Ebay with them but have not heard from anyone on their performance.
Old 12-31-03, 07:43 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give the new 2004 Shimano Cantilever brakes a try. They are made to use with STI. I've been using them for about a month, plenty of stopping power.