Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

1 week tour.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

1 week tour.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 05:35 PM
suppercomutter

Bikes: 2000 kona fire mountian, 1988 Schwinn Tempo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 week tour.

I live near pittsburgh Pa. I am interested in a 1 week bike tour near me. Anyone tour around here? I was considering just riding east on my own for 3 days then returning, but not sure I want to take off on my own.
Old 10-20-03, 10:27 PM

Bikes: 2009 Surly Crosscheck Complete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestion would be to pick up a Penn gazetteer and try to find a road or two where you'd find the most scenery with the least ammount of traffic. Since those maps have literally everything printed on them you can get a feel for the type of area your going to be travelling in. Since I've never been biking in penn, I can't give you any advice on specific routes. But not knowing quite where your going can make an adventure out of a trip. The first trip I ever did was a giant circut around Virginia and at no point did I really have a "destination." All it took was the gazetteer and the confindence that I could deal with anything that would come up. All you gotta do is get on and keep riding.
Old 10-23-03, 06:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head down to Florida for a vacation I'm looking to do a 7-10 day tour down here sometime this fall/winter though i wouldn't blame you if you decided to stay in Pa. as I like to start and finish tours at my front door also.I agree with the advice to plan a circuit as nothing is more boring than returning on the same route.As I used to travel W.Pa. frequently in my ski bum days here would be a circuit I would suggest(i love planning out rough routes like this and then staying flexible during the trip if I find a better alternative) .31 to Seven Springs area (there may be an even more remote road but I am using a crummy map here).As I sure you know this goes through a mountainous area but nothing real steep.If your staying in motels consider Somerset (I probably know ever cheap motel in W. Pa. lol).From there take 281 or 219 south to Md.(I would say 281 if you bypass Somerset and 219 if you go through there to stay the night) and the scenic Wisp/Deep Creek area(if your looking for a cheap motel continue on to Oakland lol).Next you want to circle around to Cumberland but I am somewhat undecided what to recommend here .219 on south to 50 then west into W.Va. to 220 and then north to Cumberland would be the most scenic but the blind hairpin turns combined with lunatic drivers in W.Va.(ok i was guilty myself of flooring it from time to time lol)might make staying in Md on 135 to 220 the better alternative (actually most of the hairpin turns are further south into W.Va. but the drivers are still nutso so I would lean toward just staying in Md.).In any event there are cheap motels in Cumberland lol.Then north of Cumberland back into Pa. 220 is a nice road largely straight (after you get over a mtn at the border)between two ridges in a scenic little valley. Bedford you guessed it has cheap motels out the rear.And north of Bedford on 56 towards Blue Knob has some of the prettiest countryside (you may want to allow some extra time around the backroads in this area there are even one or two covered bridges).After crossing the mtn near Blue Knob head to Johnstown if you want an inexpensive motel.Then from there just work your way back to the Burg.By the way if you like to plan your own trip and don't like advice just don't pay attention to any of this because like I said I just like planning out rough routes like this.In fact I'm starting to get to the point I want to do this trip myself now .I think I've been in Fl. too long and some fall folage could be nice.Anyway I guess thats enough for now good luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by RWTD; 10-23-03 at 08:11 AM.