Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kudos to LBS!!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Kudos to LBS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 08:27 PM
Kev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos to LBS!!!

I know there are alot of complaints about your LBS etc sometimes I agree sometimes I disagree. The other day I was fixing my one wheel it was out of true no big deal, but I did not pay attention to wrench I was using and used the wrong one and by time i realized it the nipple was stripped. I figured okei I would get a wrench and take it off well I ruined the nipple to point I could not get it out so eventuly just cut the spoke. THis is my stupidity and I have no problems paying for my mistakes. So went down to SuperGo in Fountain valley I found out the length needed, used spoccaclc spreadsheet along with rim and hubinfo to find length needed. Asked if I could buy one spoke guy up front said just go to mechanic in back, so went back told him I needed a straight 14 guage black spoke 288mm length. He came back said did not have 288 but had 287 close enough it will work and just gave it to me for free. I know they are not expensive but it's the little things that make me like dealing with them. This is not first time did small things for free.
Old 10-21-03, 09:16 PM
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i get the same treatment..

There was one time I broke a spoke. Unfortunately the LBS had no black spokes at the right length. So the mechanic sprayed black paint on a bare spoke and told me to come back after 2-3hrs to pick up the wheel.

Funny thing is, he wouldn't accept my money when I tried to pay him. He said its on him.
Old 10-21-03, 10:06 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alot of the times it is the little things your LBS does, that makes me want to spend my money their. I really can't say much for the salesman but I always like the mech's there.
Old 10-21-03, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
My LBS guy gave my his 2002 copy of the QBP catalog. Great reading.
Old 10-21-03, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I love it when that happens- when the LBS guys go out of their way to help you out. It's so unexpected and it really helps to brighten my day when I bring my sad self to their shop with my sad bike looking for yet another repair!

Koffee

Old 10-22-03, 12:14 AM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean Koffee, I really wish I could have spent money in their shop today. Being unemployed does not lead to alot of spending cash. It's the little things that a LBS does that makes it worthwhile to go their and spend my money when I have some.
Old 10-22-03, 01:13 AM
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kev
I really can't say much for the salesman but I always like the mech's there.
In my F(avorite)BS, the owner is the salesman and he is also a mechanic. His dad also is a mechanic in the same bike shop.

The owner, also teaches me some cool tricks and often rides with me, when my cycling "buddy" does not show up. He offered to teach me MTB techniques, DH and more. He also took me to one of his favorite technical trail. He was busy, but he found the time just to take me there.

One of his mechanics, also rides w/ me on occassion.

Sometimes, they visit me in my shop(computer, internet).. And I can say they get the same treatment..
Old 10-22-03, 07:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the cool thing I discovered from the cycling world. They are willing to teach/help people with fixing their bike. I went to my LBS and asked if they sold hub bearing and the manager said "yes". I told him that I was gonna try to repack my hubs. He proceeded to walk me though want I need to do. It was pretty cool, since I know the make a lot of $$$ from servicing customer's bikes. Anyway, it was over head 'cuz I've only read what was in the Zinn book, but I was appreciative for the jester.

This kind of stuff makes for feel good that I've spent thousands of dollars in their store over the years.
Old 10-22-03, 10:12 AM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I said that dexmax it sounds bad, seems I've dealt with the mechanics more then the salesman. THe salesman I go in say what I want or walk over to wear it is in the shelf and buy it so not much interaction there.