Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Did You Ride Today?

Old 08-09-09, 08:21 AM
(this space for rent)

Bikes: 2018 Synapse Dura-Ace, 1995 Specialized M2-pro, 1995 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
37.3 this morning. Thinking about doing the sunrise century on sept. 5th
Old 08-09-09, 08:54 AM

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not been recording these past 2 weeks, been crazy at the shop with 2 guys taking vacations, but I've been doing my 'bout 200 miles a week.

Originally Posted by Lindaosm
Yes I did. Decided to try out a hybrid to ride the Withlachochee. Rented one in Inverness and worked our way south about 13 miles. Nice ride. I think I'm going to save my $$ up for one of these. So much easier to ride on a paved trail vs my mountain bike. (Hey, I'm new to this. ) ;-)
I love my old trek 750, it has served it's purpose of a launching pad for nigh on 15 years. Over the years it has gone from mtb stem, risers and gripshift, to road stem, drops and barcons, to scott brahma bars with rapid fire, and now back to drops and road brifters.

btw: some of us have been trying to get a seperate forum for hybrids started up, come join the fun.
Old 08-09-09, 11:33 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday 8/09/09... Good ride today, 62.6 smiles. Wildlife count 5 deer, (one was a 6 point buck) 5 turkeys (real ones with feathers) 7 turtles, 4 sand hill cranes, and countless humans....
Got home and treated myself to a super big bowl of Publix Premium Strawberry Ice Cream YUM...YUM

No matter who you are or how far/fast you ride HYDRATE... HYDRATE... HYDRATE...

Todays distance 62.6 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 194.65 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3,941.16 (s)miles

It doesn't get any better than this!!!

Old 08-10-09, 06:24 PM
Fueled by Scoobie Snacks!

Bikes: 1983 Puch Odyssey, 2004 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 16.7 miles today, taking it easy as I rode 27 yesterday. Sixty miles in one weekend is a lot for me, so I don't want to overdo it.

Yes I did. Decided to try out a hybrid to ride the Withlachochee. Rented one in Inverness and worked our way south about 13 miles. Nice ride. I think I'm going to save my $$ up for one of these. So much easier to ride on a paved trail vs my mountain bike. (Hey, I'm new to this. ) ;-)
If you are going to ride on pavement most of the time, you may also want to try a flat bar road bike. Should be similar upright position, but a little lighter and faster. Not as nice a ride though.
Old 08-10-09, 07:11 PM

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatdesigner
If you are going to ride on pavement most of the time, you may also want to try a flat bar road bike. Should be similar upright position, but a little lighter and faster. Not as nice a ride though.
Generally speaking any 700c wheeled bike that doesn't have drop bars is a hybrid, maybe with the exception to a hipster's fixie with risers. Unless, of course, it was originally hybrid frame.

Typically a 26" wheeled non cruiser, non mtb is considered a comfort bike.

That's not to say that there aren't hybrids that have features of comfort bikes too.

Sure wish there was somewhere that we could discuss the benefits of hybrids.
Old 08-10-09, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought hybrids had wider tires, thus my comment about ride. We are talking about the same thing then, a road bike with flat bars and 700 x 25C tires.
Old 08-10-09, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, sorry, there has been a hybrid thread with some heated discussion and...

But, yes, 25's, 32's even 38's and gearing as low as a mtb or almost as much as a road bike.

It wouldn't be a stretch to think the 29er came from riding hybrids offroad.
Old 08-11-09, 10:48 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuesday 8/11/09... Good ride today, 40.06 smiles. Got home and treated myself to another super big bowl of Publix Premium Strawberry Ice Cream YUM...YUM

Todays distance 40.06 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 234.71 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 3,981.22 (s)miles

Last edited by kjc9640; 08-11-09 at 10:54 AM. Reason: date correction
Old 08-11-09, 02:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice morning, got a late start around ten 'til eight. I rode 23.6 miles and felt pretty good most of the way.
Old 08-12-09, 07:17 AM

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to ride on pavement most of the time, you may also want to try a flat bar road bike. Should be similar upright position, but a little lighter and faster. Not as nice a ride though.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the input. I am looking at a Trek 7100 or 7200 hybrid...I think. I've already realized that the mb that we bought back in March is too small for me. The one we rented on Saturday was a Trek 7000 but my husband thinks I should at least get the next one up that has some shock which I think is the 7100.

I took my first spill on pavement on Monday. We went to the north end of the Suncoast trail. We got started way too late and by noon I was pretty wiped. I knew it was hilly but had no idea how hilly and with the heat I just overdid. When I went to get off my bike my legs were like rubber. Luckily nothing broken but I am pretty black and blue and have some road rash. We only did about 12 miles that day. I am getting a little disappointed as I want to ride more but with the heat I am having a hard time. I guess that I should be happy as 2 and a half years ago and over 100 pounds heavier than than now, I would have never even attempted to get on a bike much less ride that far. I am hoping that more gym time will help with the endurance.
Old 08-12-09, 11:16 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wednesday 8/12/09... Got up early to go today and the mind said go but the body said I don't want to. Fixed myself a cup of coffee went out on the patio to drink it and fell asleep in the chair. Coffee got cold and I did not get started until 9:00 am. The temp had a feels like 88 degrees and the humidity was 83%. When I got back the temp was 92 degrees and felt like 102 and all of the ice cream is gone

Todays distance 29.42 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 264.13 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 4,010.64 (s)miles

Old 08-12-09, 11:27 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[/quote] I took my first spill on pavement on Monday. We went to the north end of the Suncoast trail. We got started way too late and by noon I was pretty wiped. I knew it was hilly but had no idea how hilly and with the heat I just overdid. When I went to get off my bike my legs were like rubber. Luckily nothing broken but I am pretty black and blue and have some road rash. We only did about 12 miles that day. I am getting a little disappointed as I want to ride more but with the heat I am having a hard time. I guess that I should be happy as 2 and a half years ago and over 100 pounds heavier than than now, I would have never even attempted to get on a bike much less ride that far. I am hoping that more gym time will help with the endurance.[/quote]

The north end of the Sun Coast is the toughest part of the trail, hill wise and during the heat of the day I am not surprised that you would get a little disappointed. Try doing your rides early in the AM if you can and once you get a bike that fits you will be doing 100 milers and think nothing of it. IMO more ride time will help with endurance but that's just my 2cents worth. Sorry about the fall

Old 08-12-09, 05:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my normal 22.5 today. Really humid out, even at 7:30 am.

Linda, congrats on losing so much weight! I lost 40, but did it the easy way, I got sick! I haven't ridden the Suncoast yet, partly because there is no shade. The Withlacoochee at least has shade until about 10 am, then it starts getting hot. As I have said before, I am a wimp! If I don't get out before 8-8:30, I don't go. I guess I still have a little of that thick Yankee blood in my veins.
Old 08-12-09, 08:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatdesigner
I did my normal 22.5 today. Really humid out, even at 7:30 am.

Linda, congrats on losing so much weight! I lost 40, but did it the easy way, I got sick! I haven't ridden the Suncoast yet, partly because there is no shade. The Withlacoochee at least has shade until about 10 am, then it starts getting hot. As I have said before, I am a wimp! If I don't get out before 8-8:30, I don't go. I guess I still have a little of that thick Yankee blood in my veins.
Yes, the Suncoast offers very little shade! I was also dissappointed that there weren't as many places to stop and rest....at least on the north end. I think we were several miles south...maybe 4...before we saw the first rest stop....and it was at the bottom of a hill. You would think that they'd put it at the top...but like I have said, I am new to this.

Well, I went and put a down payment on my new hybrid bike. A Trek 7100 WSD. I'm picking it up on Friday. Can't wait to try it out. Maybe on the Gainesville/Hawthorne trail. I really like that one. It has some hills on the Gainesville side but nothing like the Suncoast. It also has plenty of shade. For now I am trying to work on my endurance. Thanks for the encourement.
Old 08-13-09, 05:53 AM
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, the Suncoast offers very little shade!
True that. We don't ride it in the summer.

It has some hills on the Gainesville side but nothing like the Suncoast.
The Suncoast is only hilly on the north end. South of SR 50 there is about one mile left of very short rollers, then it's dead flat all the way down to the south end. There's a nice trail head at SR 50, if a little hard to find. So if I didn't want to climb, I'd park there and head south.

Oh, and ditto on the congrats on the weight loss!
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 08-13-09, 11:06 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thursday 8/13/09... Good day today, felt like riding as apposed to yesterday. Rode to Lake Mary and picked my renewed car tag decal, boy they sure jumped the price up on them this year. If you purchase them prior to the end of the month you get the old price and now you can buy them for two years instead of renewing every year. When I got back the temp was 90 degrees and felt like 99, the good news is the wife has replaced the Strawberry ice cream so all is well in slo spokes household.

Todays distance 30.26 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 294.39 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 4,040.90 (s)miles

Old 08-13-09, 06:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My normal 22.5 again today. Trail was wet from overnight rain, so I had to wipe the bike down when I got home. I won't get to ride tomorrow as we are heading south to go to the beach. Don't know if I'll be able to ride on Sat. either. Not a bad week though as I have 112 miles in already. Over 1300 miles for the year so far, not bad considering how much time I missed being sick.
Old 08-13-09, 08:59 PM
(this space for rent)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
around 22 miles w/ the bike club. last few miles was a hill repeat.
Old 08-15-09, 11:46 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday 8/15/09... Great day today, felt like riding so I was on the road before 6 am. Today was a good wildlife day I saw 8 deer 2 turkeys and 2 gofer turtles. When I got back to the Slo spoke household the temp was 91 degrees and felt like 100. The wife fixed a nice lunch for me before she went shopping so all is well in slo spokes household.

Todays distance 50.47 (s)miles
Total distance this mo. 344.86 (s)miles
Total distance this yr. 4,091.37 (s)miles

Last edited by kjc9640; 08-15-09 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-15-09, 04:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29 miles yesterday....14 today.

I love my new Trek! My husband and I rode the Jacksonville/Baldwin trail yesterday. And, I made it the entire way....29 miles. The last 7 we did in the rain. We should have stopped sooner to put our rain gear on but I thought we could make it to the next shelter...wrong. This trail was nice and yesterday seemed to be a little cooler, even before the rain.

Today, on the way back, we rode 14 miles on the Nature Coast Trail. We went from Fanning Springs, over the Suwannee River past Old Town and back. The bike bridge over the Suwannee is pretty cool and I got some good pictures but haven't quite figured out how to post on here. I did manage to change my avatar and that picture is from on top of the bridge. After that it was BBQ in Chiefland. Yummo

I love having the computer on my bike too. Now I can tell how fast I am going and try to increase my speed.
Old 08-15-09, 06:36 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today, on the way back, we rode 14 miles on the Nature Coast Trail. We went from Fanning Springs, over the Suwannee River past Old Town and back. The bike bridge over the Suwannee is pretty cool and I got some good pictures but haven't quite figured out how to post on here. I did manage to change my avatar and that picture is from on top of the bridge. After that it was BBQ in Chiefland. Yummo

I love having the computer on my bike too. Now I can tell how fast I am going and try to increase my speed.
My daughter and I plan to ride the Nature Coast Trail on Wed. or Thur. Do you have any dos' or don'ts and where did you stop for BBQ. Do you recommend it for lunch? looking forward to your pictures.

Congrats on the ride distance and I know you will love the computer it just seems to add to the ride. At least thats my .02 cents worth

Do you have any plans to ride the Withlacoochee on Oct. 4?
Old 08-15-09, 07:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640
My daughter and I plan to ride the Nature Coast Trail on Wed. or Thur. Do you have any dos' or don'ts and where did you stop for BBQ. Do you recommend it for lunch? looking forward to your pictures.

Congrats on the ride distance and I know you will love the computer it just seems to add to the ride. At least thats my .02 cents worth

Do you have any plans to ride the Withlacoochee on Oct. 4?
We had been told that the part of the trail from Trenton to Fanning Springs was pretty uneventful and not much to see except for power lines. So, we started at the Fanning Springs trailhead and rode north about 7 miles just past Old Town. About 3 miles north of Fanning Springs you ride over the Suwanee and that was cool. We rode another 4 or 5 miles north after that and turned around where the trail came out and ended up running next to SR 19. From Fanning Springs south the trail runs west of 19 down to Chiefland. Not sure how that part of the trail is.

We ate at a BBQ place in Chiefland (right on 19) called BBQ Bill's or Bill's BBQ. We've actually eaten there a few times. They have a nice salad bar. There's another one in town called BubbaQues and it's pretty good too. I think it's a chain.

Have you ever done the Gainesville/Hawthorne trail? I think it's my favorite. About 17 miles one way. If you start at the north end in Gainesville (Bowlware park ) there are quite a few hills and turns. Also don't miss a couple of side trails that go down to Paynes Prairie. If you are lucky you can see some wild horses and the buffalo. I haven't done the whole trail yet. I think the most I've done is 12 miles from Gainesville out and back. Maybe now with my new bike I can do it.

I just told hubby about the Oct thing at the Withlachochee. I'm not a fast rider so I don't know that I might not just get in the way. My speeds the last few days have been between 10.5 and 13.5. When it was raining I think I did manage to get up to 15 but not for long.

Have fun on your ride next week. There are at least a few shaded places to stop along the way we went.

Oh, and I do love my new computer.
Old 08-15-09, 07:41 PM
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Felt great today considering I didn't get out at all during the week and only once last weekend due to work schedule and crappy weather. Nice and cool in the morning and go in a nice 40 solo. Lots of people out on the Starkey/Suncoast. Beautiful day for riding.
Old 08-16-09, 07:36 AM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had been told that the part of the trail from Trenton to Fanning Springs was pretty uneventful and not much to see except for power lines. So, we started at the Fanning Springs trailhead and rode north about 7 miles just past Old Town. About 3 miles north of Fanning Springs you ride over the Suwanee and that was cool. We rode another 4 or 5 miles north after that and turned around where the trail came out and ended up running next to SR 19. From Fanning Springs south the trail runs west of 19 down to Chiefland. Not sure how that part of the trail is.

We ate at a BBQ place in Chiefland (right on 19) called BBQ Bill's or Bill's BBQ. We've actually eaten there a few times. They have a nice salad bar. There's another one in town called BubbaQues and it's pretty good too. I think it's a chain.

Have you ever done the Gainesville/Hawthorne trail? I think it's my favorite. About 17 miles one way. If you start at the north end in Gainesville (Bowlware park ) there are quite a few hills and turns. Also don't miss a couple of side trails that go down to Paynes Prairie. If you are lucky you can see some wild horses and the buffalo. I haven't done the whole trail yet. I think the most I've done is 12 miles from Gainesville out and back. Maybe now with my new bike I can do it.

I just told hubby about the Oct thing at the Wilshire. I'm not a fast rider so I don't know that I might not just get in the way. My speeds the last few days have been between 10.5 and 13.5. When it was raining I think I did manage to get up to 15 but not for long.

Have fun on your ride next week. There are at least a few shaded places to stop along the way we went.

Oh, and I do love my new computer.
Thanks for the trail info and restaurant suggestion. My daughter and I are looking forward to that ride.
It sounds as if you are really hooked on bike riding, I think that is great, good for you.
You really should try the Withlacoohee Trail ride in Oct. you don't have to be fast. I think you would enjoy it. It is a good opportunity to meet other riders.
The Gainesville trail is on our list to do soon.It is our goal to ride every trail in FL and then start on the trails in GA. Thanks again for the info

Old 08-16-09, 07:59 AM
(this space for rent)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
just shy of 48 miles this morning, rode out to the bike shop via highway and met up with 3 other guys in the and I dropped off to go home as we passed back through my town via back roads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.