Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Surly Pacer for Randonneuring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Felt F80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly Pacer for Randonneuring?

I'm looking for a randonneuring bike that won't break the bank. I'm not going for nostalgia or looks - I just want a good performer. The purpose built randonneuring bikes I've seen are all priced quite high which is where the Pacer comes in. My idea is to build up a Pacer with triple crank, dyanmo hub, 28mm tires, fenders, etc. for long distance riding.

I've ridden a double century on my Felt F80 which wasn't very comfortable but got me hooked on long rides. My other steed is the Surly LHT which is extremely comfortable but not as fast as I'm hoping to be for the brevets.

Does anyone on here have experience with the Pacer as a long distance machine? Or are there any other suggestions for building or buying a different but similarly spartan ride?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-08, 07:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe also consider a Salsa Casseroll. From the numbers it seems to have very slightly more relaxed geometry than the Pacer and is available as a complete triple for about $1500 list.
Old 03-12-08, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Smokester
Maybe also consider a Salsa Casseroll. From the numbers it seems to have very slightly more relaxed geometry than the Pacer and is available as a complete triple for about $1500 list.
+1
I love mine. But just FYI - the frame is on the stiff side... the ride quality is so-so. I think it'll be better once I get some 28c tires (I'm running 23c Michelin Carbon tires right now).
Old 03-13-08, 08:35 AM

Bikes: cannondale caad 8 custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the casseroll. it also has a bit more room for fenders. the semi sloping geometry allows for less spacers. if you are a smaller or larger sioze you still might find an 07 frame set on sale
Old 03-13-08, 09:16 AM

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would the pacer be noticeably faster than the LHT? Maybe you just get a set of lighter wheels for the LHT to swap out for randonneuring. I would think comfort would be a big concern on a really long ride, and if you are happy on the lht maybe you should stick with it.
Old 03-13-08, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a LHT and I am quite sure the Pacer would be faster. The LHT is comfortable and hauls a ton, but fast it is not.

In my experience at least, the Salsa Casseroll is fast. The frame is stiff for a steelie, and the riding position is more comfort oriented than dedicated racing bikes, but the geometry is still very road bike-ish. I haven't noticed a speed penalty for my Casseroll vs. my racier bikes during normal (non-competitive) riding.
Old 03-13-08, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info from everyone, thank you.

I don't know why I didn't previously consider the Casserole. I really like that it has better clearance for tires/fenders than the Pacer. I saw one built up last weekend at the Seattle Bike Expo with matching painted stem - it was a real beauty! Really I'll just need to give them both a test ride.

As for my LHT, it really feels like the SUV of bikes. It's comfortable and can carry a soccer team, but slow and not too nimble. Plus I've got to think I can save a few pounds and gain some stiffness from a different bike.
Old 03-13-08, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also found this website: https://readytoride.biz/?p=277

I don't have a subscription so I can see the full review, but if it's even being considered for randonneuring it must not be too bad!
Old 03-14-08, 09:30 PM

Bikes: 2008 Turner Spot, Berg Ti Cross, 2011 Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soma

Recommend you extend your research to include:

Some Smoothie ES
Gunnar Sport

The pacer is a good choice. Go with the one with geometry that best fits your body type.
Old 03-20-08, 12:03 PM

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not a Surly Cross-Check. I've had mine for four years now and it's become my favorite bike simply because I can take it virtually anywhere anytime. Plenty of room for wide tires and fenders. I think it would be an excellent rando bike.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-08, 08:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My roommate has a crosscheck and it's a blast to ride! But I'm looking for more of a road geometry (lower bottom bracket, etc.).

As for the Soma Smoothie and the Gunnar Sport I'll have to try those out. I've heard great things about the Smoothie but I've yet to lay eyes on a Gunnar yet, so I'm not sure where I'll get to try one of those out.

Thank you!