Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Khalid Khannouchi Vs Lance Armstrong???...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you don't know who Khalid Khannouchi is, He is one of the worlds fastest marathon runners over 26 Miles...

I would put my life on Lance beating Khannouchi in almost any cycling event on earth especially the Tours. The time differences would be formidable.

Question/s...

Turn the tide, How do you think Lance would fair against Khalid Khannouchi in a Marathon (Flat, 26.2 Miles). Lets say Khalid Khannouchi has just ran the 2002 London in 2 Hours: 05 Minutes: 38 Seconds (Which he did).

I know this isn't going to be an exact science but an estimation...

How far behind Khalid Khannouchi do you think Lance would finish, 2 Mins, 5 Mins, 10 Mins, 20 Mins???... Can cycling really cross over to running in a big way???... Could Lance keep up with him through most of the Marathon only to tail off or even Beat him at the end???... Any thoughts on that...

And, Who is Pound 4 Pound the better athlete and why???...

Thoughts...
Old 10-23-03, 09:42 AM
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Lance would get creamed. Running is not just fitness/strength, etc, it also needs good form so even if you may be a super strong athlete, you might not have good form.

Jay
Old 10-23-03, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay H
I think Lance would get creamed. Running is not just fitness/strength, etc, it also needs good form so even if you may be a super strong athlete, you might not have good form.

Jay
What do you mean by good form???...
Old 10-23-03, 10:27 AM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance started as a triathlete. His performance might be better than you think.

DEMON
Old 10-23-03, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had lots of coaches tell me that a fit cyclist is a better runner than a fit runner is at cycling.

Yes, I'd bet my house that Lance would get spanked, and spanked good, at a marathon race. I'd also bet the farm that if the race was a timed marathon event and a timed 120 mile road race, combine the two times Lance would have the lower time.
Old 10-23-03, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people are just better suited to certain sports. I know that Lance would have no problem with the conditioning and could easily be a 2:30 marathon runner. But to be one of the truly elite, you need to be somewhat predisposed to that event. It seems highly unlikely that Lance would be not only the premier cyclist in the world, but also one of the premier runners.
Old 10-23-03, 11:49 AM
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Form, as in running properly without wasting energy and being efficient. Cycling and running are fairly different just look at some of the cyclists who became triathletes... Steve Larson (a MTBer of noted fame) took up triathlons as well as other multidisciplinary sports and as he would kick ass on the bike sections, he was always getting beat in the runs.

I'm not an runner at all but when you're talking about elite athletes, good form is certainly a necessity, you can't just expect anybody who is in great shape, such as Lance, to do well in other disciplines just because he is in great condition. Now if you were to assume that Lance and Khalid had the same form so it was just a matter of conditioning and fitness.... that would be a different question...

Is it harder to be an elite cyclist versus an elite runner????

Jay

Last edited by Jay H; 10-23-03 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-23-03, 12:10 PM
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because running and cycling are different from one another in terms of muscles used, strategy, and requirements for each event (TDF and Marathon), I would bet on the cyclist to win the cycling event and the runner to win the Marathon.

I think both are probably equally fit and both have made adaptations useful only for their chosen events.

If you want to wander in the land of IF for awhile and speculate on what would have happened if LA was made to run exclusively and KK had to ride a bike, I don't think either would be a world champion. The reason for this has to do with the nature of elite athletics. Since there are thousands of people contending these events you not only have to be faster, mentally tougher, and stronger than the next guy (all the next guys actually), you have to want it more than they do. If you don't truly love to compete in your event, it won't be possible for you to compete at that level. The short answer LA doesn't love running that much and KK doesnt get out of biking what he gets out of running.

Dan
Old 10-23-03, 07:25 PM
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay okay here's some for you

who's the better golfer: Tiger Woods (TW), LA, or KK?

okay okay, here's a better one:

Who would be the better NASCAR driver: LA, TW, KK, or Dale Ernhart(sp?) Jr??

hmmmm. I think I'm going to loose sleep over these very deep questions.

The answer is a big whopping "WHO CARES". Each athlete is good at their respective sport. Why cross compare??
Old 10-24-03, 03:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
okay okay here's some for you

who's the better golfer: Tiger Woods (TW), LA, or KK?

okay okay, here's a better one:

Who would be the better NASCAR driver: LA, TW, KK, or Dale Ernhart(sp?) Jr??

hmmmm. I think I'm going to loose sleep over these very deep questions.

The answer is a big whopping "WHO CARES". Each athlete is good at their respective sport. Why cross compare??
To find out who is the best endurance athlete Pound 4 Pound on the planet today...
Old 10-24-03, 04:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all the time Lance spends in the saddle training, how much distance running does he actually do? I don't think he could even come close to running a 2:30 marathon. I also don't think the #1 marathon runner in the world could ride a bike like Lance does. Good idea for a biathlon though, I wonder who would win.
Old 10-24-03, 04:59 PM
newbie newbie

Bikes: Titanium Indy Fab 29" mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apples to oranges, potatoes to tomatoes. Anyone else have an apt description of this conversation?
Old 10-25-03, 11:55 PM
Aquatics Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard poo and diarhea.
Loud fart and wet fart.

What the... ?
Old 10-26-03, 03:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AquariaGuy
Hard poo and diarhea.
Loud fart and wet fart.

What the... ?
No...
Old 10-27-03, 07:58 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've seen this marathoner win the chicago marathon and he is incredible. there is no drafting or coasting or breaks in a marathon.

but i'd have to this about this.
Old 10-28-03, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pjstock42
With all the time Lance spends in the saddle training, how much distance running does he actually do? I don't think he could even come close to running a 2:30 marathon. I also don't think the #1 marathon runner in the world could ride a bike like Lance does. Good idea for a biathlon though, I wonder who would win.
I don't think he could come close now. But if he dedicated himself to running, I think he could probably become a 2:30 runner. That's the kind of athlete he is--and he has the build for it--thin, not overly bulky.

That said, there's a world of difference between a 2:30 marathon runner and the world's elite.