Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

A Cycling Vignette Chapter 1 : Memorial

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 12:22 AM
Wheres my snuggie?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A Cycling Vignette: Memorial

Vignette:
“Sense transferred from the border to the picture itself, then (1853) to a type of small photographic portrait with blurred edges very popular mid-19c. Meaning "literary sketch" is first recorded 1880, probably from the photographic sense.”

March 15th- “ In like a Lion, Out like a Lamb” In between it all, the reward of transcendence.
Yesterday was one of those days I’ll never forget. I could start backwards from here, but I think I’ll just start from the middle. Where transcendence made an appearance. I had so many experiences on this Saturday. Some so sublime and others quite soul wrenching. As I sat at the foot of my bed Sunday morning at 10am and began to get ready for yet another ride on my bike. On my Ipod a song played called a “ A little voice“. I melted down. It all came back to me. Matt’s father or some relative, I do not know, at the Sports basement on a news blurb saying. “Matt loved his bike” . Then the pain of a loved one emanating from deep within their soul, at the front of a crowd of a thousand other souls piercing the air. The sound of their grief was too much for me and I had to move far away, on my bike down a hill by myself off and in to silence of the forest. At that moment In the stillness and quiet by the river I needed to be back with the one I’ve truly cared about for so long and loved. I felt un-believably home sick. The bonds of love between Father and Son mother and child, Husband Wife, between friends. One soul to another the driving force of our existence. Extinguished in a moment of inattentiveness, of selfish un-awareness and one horrible mistake.
Earlier I came upon a cyclist named Ted. In a merging of groups and groups of cyclist funneling to the staging area of a grand tribute to the memory of our lost sister and brother in spirit. In front of us, a striking looking bunch of athletes in beautiful uniforms. They we’re from the Protech woman’s racing team. I talked to Ted about how overwhelmed I was becoming at these wonderful people coming together in mass and human camaraderie. Just then one of the team members chimed in that she remembered me from the time trial earlier. She had been the one to pin my number to my shirt! I had asked her, but didn’t mention that my hands we’re too cold and shaking from nerves to do it myself. I was just blown away, and all I could say was thank you. She moved up, and Ted said that’s my wife Dawn. We’ve been together for 28 years and we love riding together it’s been the center of our lives. He went on to explain her great feats in the world of cycling, and you could see he was so proud of her and was so jazzed about his life with her. 28 years…beautiful.
When I emerged from the forest into the gathering I saw a lone sheriffs officer standing on a rise near his car. I’m not sure what prompted me, but I went over to him. “Are you alright man?” He responded with honor and dignity and I will keep it to myself. I think how he felt was truly personal.
I looked over and saw the familiar NorCal outfits. How lucky I am with these new found friends. How much my life has changed for me over the years. How much the bike has changed and redirected my life through absolutely the worst times of my life, in the ultimate darkness of my soul and in the best times of my life. As Lance Armstrong said, “Its always about the bike”. It’s so cool to be a part of something. It’s so cool to sincerely care about others.
Then there’s my friend, Curtis with his lovely wife and friend Tricia who informs me that he they think I look tired and insist on giving me a ride back to where ever I need to go. That’s Curtis always the protective Dad trying to take care of everyone. Ramon with that stoic character. Unassuming always there, the granite pacemaker, good man in a storm. Of course Ron the circle and center of all things involved in our little society.. Master of ceremonies. Comforting. My good friend Henry. Resilient. What accident? It’s like he didn’t miss a pedal stroke in all those months off. As I drop him off I see his beautiful kids bouncing up and down in the picture window. Daddy’s home! As they come charging like a bunch of midget linebackers running on to the field for the second half. Hurry up Daddy, hurry up, as I race to remove his bike before the little tykes explode with joy! He convinced me to ride Mercyx category for the next TT. “Go old school man”
And I will….. Marco the almost cocky kid, but I realize that’s really the High IQ coupled with brute strength equals confidence. His dad was so proud of him at the TT. 9.7 in 27.44 and his tire was flat at the finish line. The guy who just beat up the grueling headwind like some supernatural bike superhero and brought us back to where we wanted be. Home. That was a great breakfast we had at Bucks after the TT. He told me he passed me while he was heading for his late start but not saying a word…didn’t want to ruin my Chi…Respect. And the rest of the BF’rs who weren’t there but were there with us in their hearts. Respect and transcendence.
Matt and Kristy, you’ve transcended…Peace, love, and respect.
Pete

With all the pictures I took this day, there was something so beautiful about this one

Last edited by taxi777; 03-17-08 at 08:51 AM. Reason: change
Old 03-17-08, 01:07 AM
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Pete,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I share your sentiments, I know we all do.

I was glad to be with you, and the others, on a day dedicated to so much.

It was a long day on the bike, and "on the bike" is always a place where one's thoughts can be sorted with lucidness that can rarely be found anywhere else.

Regarding that headwind... I knew you guys were getting close to running on empty. I have no reservations, and will pull on front as long as I can to help out.

Today (Sunday). I did 55 miles with my girlfriend Ruth. We did a shortened variation of Alan's Coast/Back road ride. The headwinds were unbelievable!

This weekend was my tribute. I rode 150 miles with my friends and my loved ones. It just seemed like the most fitting thing to do.

Matt & Kristy RIP.
Old 03-17-08, 06:53 AM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Pete,
As I was reading your vignette, I was beginning to think you were speaking as the BF voice. I was observing on Saturday, how influential a voice you could be, and I truely think you are the ambassador of NorCal BF. Case in point, this vignette was truely poetic, and it exemplified the thought of many of us that attended the memorial ride. It was like I had the exact same thoughts you had, but I just couldn't grab my thoughts and put it on paper. Thank you for writing this.

As far as me being the center of social activity??? I wasn't thinking that at all. But I am truely flattered that you said that. We have the tool or mechanism (BF) to gather together, and I simply try to encourage us all to get together to do something we all love to do ... ride. I know we all have our lives of our own, and we even have our own clubs that we regularly attend. I like to think of BF as our little hide-away, an escape, to a place where we can enjoy the cameraderie of friends and loved ones.

I did a really short spin yesterday (Saturday was a really long day ... 75 miles). At least I got on the bike on Sunday, just to keep the spirit up. I still have not ridden to Stevens Canyon Rd by myself. As one of my usual backroads, I think I'm still a bit more freaked out about what happened to Matt and Kristy than I am leading on. I still don't think that stretch is all that dangerous, but just the image in my that I would be passing a cross on the side of the road where a cyclist went down ... it's still a bit unnerving to me. I think another BF ride through here is in order, just to get over "the hump".

My Cycling Blog
Old 03-17-08, 08:44 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete:

I'm very moved by your heartfelt expressions. As I've said before, you've got a great heart. And you express yourself so well.

I'm very sorry to have had to bail out on the ride Saturday due to my illness. From the news reports and your accounts here, I really missed something important. Your posts have made me feel a little more connected. Thanks.
Old 03-17-08, 08:49 AM
Wheres my snuggie?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Pete:

I'm very moved by your heartfelt expressions. As I've said before, you've got a great heart. And you express yourself so well.

I'm very sorry to have had to bail out on the ride Saturday due to my illness. From the news reports and your accounts here, I really missed something important. Your posts have made me feel a little more connected. Thanks.
Alan, you we're there.
Pete
Old 03-17-08, 09:06 AM
cycling fool

Bikes: Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete, I am not a regular poster here, but I am touched by your words. My wife and I didn't join the ride but we both watched it from the Mirramonte overpass on the way home. It was great to read how you felt and what you observed on Saturday and make it real for all of us who couldn't attend.
Old 03-17-08, 09:19 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Pete, Thanks for writing this. I tried to write something for my blog to go with the photos i shot, but I just couldn't come up with anything that explained the day, or my feelings.
You did.
Old 03-17-08, 09:55 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for your thoughts and it was great to see you at the ride. The ride was an emotional experience for us. We saw many of our friends in the parking lot and feelings were at times overwhelming. We rode part of the way with T4MV and his son right behind the Protec women.

We attended Kristy's memorial service on Sunday and it was a celebration of life of a wonderful person and athlete.
Old 03-17-08, 10:09 AM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rusty993
Pete, I am not a regular poster here, but I am touched by your words. My wife and I didn't join the ride but we both watched it from the Mirramonte overpass on the way home. It was great to read how you felt and what you observed on Saturday and make it real for all of us who couldn't attend.
+1. You are clearly more gifted than many of us in expressing yourself through the written word; thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-08, 10:11 AM
Wheres my snuggie?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
Pete,

Thanks for your thoughts and it was great to see you at the ride. The ride was an emotional experience for us. We saw many of our friends in the parking lot and feelings were at times overwhelming. We rode part of the way with T4MV and his son right behind the Protec women.

We attended Kristy's memorial service on Sunday and it was a celebration of life of a wonderful person and athlete.
Thanks for representing Sunday, I don't think I could have handled it.
Pete

Old 03-17-08, 10:13 AM
Wheres my snuggie?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=taxi777;6357690]Thanks for representing Sunday, I don't think I could have handled it.
Pete

Btw I forgot, you guys are special too...
Pete
Old 03-17-08, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Pete, thank you for sharing what we all think but can not express in written form. I tried to get something down on Saturday night but after tossing piece after piece of virtual paper in the corner garbage bin I decided to just wait it out knowing how well you are at.
Old 03-18-08, 07:27 AM
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you Pete.