Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

C&A Lurkers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 02:59 PM

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Fastback Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been lurking for about a month. I finally got sick of being way overwight (6' 1" and 329 pounds) and decided it was time to do somehting about it. My family is very competitive, so I challenged everybody else in my extended family to go along with me and see how much weight we could lose this year. I knew that changing my eating habits alone was not going to do it, so I had to find some sort of excercise that would do the trick. I turned to my old youth size department store mountain bike that was sitting in the garage collecting dust. It turns out that it does an amazing job of burning calories. I have lost 32 pounds since January 1, and the six other people in my family that have joined me have lost a good bit as well. We are currently at a total weight loss of 141 pounds. I am up to weekend rides of 20 miles (I started at 4 miles) and am currently shopping for a road bike.
Old 03-24-08, 04:45 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by racethenation
I have been lurking for about a month. I finally got sick of being way overwight (6' 1" and 329 pounds) and decided it was time to do somehting about it. My family is very competitive, so I challenged everybody else in my extended family to go along with me and see how much weight we could lose this year. I knew that changing my eating habits alone was not going to do it, so I had to find some sort of excercise that would do the trick. I turned to my old youth size department store mountain bike that was sitting in the garage collecting dust. It turns out that it does an amazing job of burning calories. I have lost 32 pounds since January 1, and the six other people in my family that have joined me have lost a good bit as well. We are currently at a total weight loss of 141 pounds. I am up to weekend rides of 20 miles (I started at 4 miles) and am currently shopping for a road bike.
Great job! And you got the family involved too ! Glad to see you come out of hiding...just remember to post every once in a while. It keeps all of us motivated .

Welcome to BikeForums!

East Hill
Old 03-24-08, 04:47 PM
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by unixpro
So that's what you look like, eh, East Hill? Now I'll be able to identify you when you mow me down on the road
Just watch out for that short redhead!

Here's one of me with the Sachs--it's such a tiny bike I don't think you could mistake me for anyone else if I'm riding it.

East Hill
Old 03-24-08, 05:38 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by racethenation
Jeez, I wish I could get my dad on a bike. Nice work.
Old 03-24-08, 09:20 PM
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm the ultimate lurker, but I'm no newbie either...and I'm getting better about posting
Old 03-24-08, 09:36 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beingtxstate
Well, I'm the ultimate lurker, but I'm no newbie either...and I'm getting better about posting
I've seen you around. Therefore you're no lurker.
Old 03-24-08, 10:47 PM

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Fastback Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
Jeez, I wish I could get my dad on a bike. Nice work.

Unfortunately, I have not gotten anyone else on a bike. It has been interesting though, to watch all of us go about this weight loss in our own way. All of us are getting the job done, but with different methods and different types of exercise. We are basically doing it like a Biggest Loser competition. Everyone emails there weight in every Monday morning, and I send out the results for the week. We all chipped in $25 for prize money at the end of the year. So far it is working out well and has been a great motivating factor, because none of us like to lose.
Old 03-24-08, 10:51 PM

Bikes: 08' Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't posted as much as I would like, but I will try and join in more.

Nate
Old 03-24-08, 11:41 PM
Disgruntled grad student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen you around. Therefore you're no lurker.
Yeah, but you're not seeing how many threads I read w/o posting to!
Old 03-25-08, 12:55 AM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by natebrr
I haven't posted as much as I would like, but I will try and join in more.

Nate
Welcome Nate!
Old 03-25-08, 12:55 AM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by beingtxstate
Yeah, but you're not seeing how many threads I read w/o posting to!
Old 03-25-08, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started coming here a few years ago, when I got back to riding. Every time I googled something bike related, BF would come up. Once I figured that it was THE place to be, I bookmarked it and would try and answer my questions here. Finally a few weeks ago I got fed up not being able to see the attached pictures of everyone's set ups so I gave in and registered. Figured now I should post something once in a while...
Old 03-25-08, 12:15 PM
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hi IamFluff! Considering how much we love our photos here, I would join up just to see the pictures .

Glad to see you emerge from the shadow, and Welcome to BF and C/A .

East Hill
Old 03-25-08, 01:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks East Hill! Looks like I'm likely going to be an Athena for life thanks to my big frame, so you'll likely see me around here . Most of my riding these days is hauling things (kids, groceries, text books), and my non riding time trying to get my family to ride and dreaming about touring. So I'm also frequently at the utility, recreation and family, and touring forums. Waiting for it to warm up around here so I can get the kids out more. Seeing as how you all like your pics so much, here is one with my new bike and new trailer last week. Enjoy!

Old 03-25-08, 01:25 PM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IamFluff
Thanks East Hill! Looks like I'm likely going to be an Athena for life thanks to my big frame, so you'll likely see me around here . Most of my riding these days is hauling things (kids, groceries, text books), and my non riding time trying to get my family to ride and dreaming about touring. So I'm also frequently at the utility, recreation and family, and touring forums. Waiting for it to warm up around here so I can get the kids out more. Seeing as how you all like your pics so much, here is one with my new bike and new trailer last week. Enjoy!

Very nice set up you have there , we'll have to discuss trailers some time as I plan on purchasing one for errands this year.
Old 03-25-08, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been lurking for about a month and I must say that you guys have been a lot of help. Before I found this forum I knew nothing about bicycles. Thanks to reading the threads that is changing!

I wanted to get into cycling to help with my weight loss program. On 1/1/08 I was 261 lbs and today I weighed in at 230 but seem to be stuck here. I am pretty sure I am going to buy a Trek 7.2 FX.

Thank you for your help and for being such an inspiration! If you can do it, I can too.

Joe
Old 03-25-08, 05:27 PM
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

What a wonderful photo! Thanks for letting us see you in motion, especially with your offspring in the trailer .

East Hill
Old 03-25-08, 05:30 PM
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bifulco
I have been lurking for about a month and I must say that you guys have been a lot of help. Before I found this forum I knew nothing about bicycles. Thanks to reading the threads that is changing!

I wanted to get into cycling to help with my weight loss program. On 1/1/08 I was 261 lbs and today I weighed in at 230 but seem to be stuck here. I am pretty sure I am going to buy a Trek 7.2 FX.

Thank you for your help and for being such an inspiration! If you can do it, I can too.

Joe
Hi Joe, this is really a great forum. I have a lot of places I like to visit here on this board, but this is one of my top two destinations. There's not a person here who doesn't have a great story, even if it's 'just' a story about expanding horizons from riding a couple of hundred feet on the first ride, to being able to ride a century a year later.

Welcome to BikeForums!

East Hill
Old 03-25-08, 08:11 PM
Cincy Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, I'm trying, but seems like something always comes up. I thought I had one on ebay recently, but the seller backed out, and the local stores have been hit or miss, so back to square one..

Just pull the trigger on something soon before the rush comes in late April and May!
Old 03-25-08, 08:31 PM
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit to lurking for the past few weeks. At 240 (ish), I am a longtime clyde - however as I get more serious about my riding I can see the chance to get down to around 200. I took up mountain biking about 20 years ago and was fairly serious during college. I even rode in the Leadville 100 twice (didnt finish either time, but made 60 miles - not really a good ride a clyde) After children, career, life, etc took me away from biking for a few years I have been working my way back in over the past few. Mostly road riding now and have even started dong some 'cross races (questionable - perhaps the local series can add a clyde class!) I stumbled into BF while searching for techie info on cassette - rd compatibility and have really enjoyed my reading so far. Thanks for being so welcoming, sharing info, and keeping the humor up.
Old 03-25-08, 09:00 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Awesome!
Old 03-25-08, 09:02 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Bifulco

Joe
261 --> 230 is pretty good!

Let us know what happens with your shopping.
Old 03-25-08, 09:06 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grueling
I have to admit to lurking for the past few weeks. At 240 (ish), I am a longtime clyde - however as I get more serious about my riding I can see the chance to get down to around 200. I took up mountain biking about 20 years ago and was fairly serious during college. I even rode in the Leadville 100 twice (didnt finish either time, but made 60 miles - not really a good ride a clyde) After children, career, life, etc took me away from biking for a few years I have been working my way back in over the past few. Mostly road riding now and have even started dong some 'cross races (questionable - perhaps the local series can add a clyde class!) I stumbled into BF while searching for techie info on cassette - rd compatibility and have really enjoyed my reading so far. Thanks for being so welcoming, sharing info, and keeping the humor up.
I've got a buddy that does 2 or 3 100 mile mtb races a summer. He also does 24 hour rides and trail running marathons in the Rockies.

The thing is that he doesn't train. He just thinks its fun to go out and ride for 24 hours.
Old 03-25-08, 11:09 PM
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uhhhh - Fun? :eek
Old 03-26-08, 05:39 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by East Hill
Hi Joe, this is really a great forum. I have a lot of places I like to visit here on this board, but this is one of my top two destinations. There's not a person here who doesn't have a great story, even if it's 'just' a story about expanding horizons from riding a couple of hundred feet on the first ride, to being able to ride a century a year later.

Welcome to BikeForums!

East Hill
Thank you!

(bows)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.