Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any triple riders?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Any triple riders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Fuji Litespeed, Canyon Mt. bike, Canyon City bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any triple riders?

I am contemplating buying a triplet for me and my sons for multi-day tours and would love to hear anyone's experiences.
Old 10-30-03, 02:49 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A couple suggestions....

1. Consider subscribing to the Tandem@Hobbes list and posting this same note.. there are lots of triplet and quad owners who frequent the list and who will be more than willing to share their experiences. More info on "Hobbes" and subscription information is here:
https://home.att.net/~thetandemlink/hobbes.html

2. A triplet owner and I collaborated on a FAQ for triplets and multi-seat tandems that may be of interest:
https://home.att.net/~thetandemlink/Triplets.html

Last edited by livngood; 10-30-03 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 11:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Triplet Owner

I can give you a very limited testimonial. We just brought home our new Co-Motion Triplet. The decision to purchase became evident when our youngest daughter grew out of her trail-along. We love to ride as a family, but needed another seat. Our tandem was very enjoyable, but adding the triplet made perfect sense while our three girls are young. As long as you have the funds and room to adore a big bike indoors (storage), I say, go for it.

We think for the five plus years that our gang will have the interest, the investment will be well worth it. Let us get a few more miles on "Kandy" and we'll let you really know how we love it.
Old 01-15-04, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Mercian tandem and solo, Longstaff Kiddiback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Triplet

I don't have one but the Tandem Club family rides are full of them and all comment that much more stable than tandem and RAMtrailer and good fun.
Cheaper here now as St Johns Street cycles make them of the peg

Have Fun
Neil
Old 01-27-04, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Rivendell, Trek 7700, Univega Viva Sport, Bike Friday, Bike Friday Tandem, Bike Friday Triple, Trail-A-Bike, Trailer.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We ride a Bike Friday triple. Dad(me) and two daughters ages 6 & 5. We have ridden as much as 20 miles in a day. Their attention limit seems to be 40-60 minutes. Then they need a break. We have a lot of fun and are gearing up for a train/bike trip to Grandma's house this summer. Two 40 mile days each way. Do you have specific questions I can address? e-me @ Ron at sowersfamily dot com.
Old 01-29-04, 06:30 AM

Bikes: Pinarello, Gunnar, Ventana, CoMotion, Opera, Colnago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame only listed here for under $600 (no fork):
https://www.chucksbikes.com/store/indexcm007.htm
Old 01-29-04, 10:03 AM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil from VA
Frame only listed here for under $600 (no fork):
https://www.chucksbikes.com/store/indexcm007.htm
Some of Chuck's bikes and tandems are great values, but some of them do have their idyosyncracies... The Triplet he has offered apparently may be one of the qwerky offerings based on what Mark Johnson of Precision Tandems observed with the one he experimented with. His comments are here:

https://catfood.phred.org/getmsg.asp?...10302.0340.eml

The "best value" I've seen in an inexpensive, full-size triplet is the Thorn Trident. Some friends here in Atlanta have been riding one for two years with nieces, nephews, parents, and the occasional captainless stoker as their third rider. It is built around a frame produced in Asia for Thorn (vs. other models that are fabricated in-house) but it equipped quite nicely for it's intended purpose and the price point. The sizing and colors are limited and I believe you must contact St.Johns Street Cyclery to find out what current availability is, etc... It is still listed on their Web site but with minimal information. Price remains ₤899.
Old 01-29-04, 05:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year we are touring with 1 tandem, 1 Burley Piccolo trail a bike, and 1 single and a kid-trailer and our two boys.

Next year, most likely, we'll be ordering tandem #2.

We find the Piccolo very stable albeit a little long when pulled behind the tandem. We felt that having two tandems eventually would be more flexible than a triple now. The Piccolo is a short term, easily resellable, measure. Both my wife and I ride, so this makes the decision a little more straightforward (no, we never considered a quadruple!) since the times when only one parent is pulling the boys are limited.

Just another option. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-23-04, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have ended our first season with a new Co-Motion Triplet in Minnesota. We loved the whole "big" experience and have no complaints. We had Co-Motion custom size this bike to fit a combination of daughters and my wife and me... fortunately, my wife and I are the same size and can easily switch off as captain/stoker. Our 11 year old is also sized to the middle position. With crank extenders my 10 or 7 year old can bring up the rear. We alternate on the triplet and tandem.

You might consider the new Co-Motion triple with periscope designed seatposts. Haven't seen anything but one tandem Periscope, looks very versatile.

Co-Motion has been great for us! We also happened to have our family photo published in their 2005 catalog . Hope you can find something you like. It's a huge investment, but keeping everyone together doing what you enjoy is worth the effort. Good Luck!