Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I ride a girls bike! (true confessions)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fess up, how many of you's guys ride girls bikes. My wife bought a new pretty road bike all decked out in 105. So I inherited her old bike with womens specific geometry. Her old bike looks like new and to replace it with a mens version would cost too much. It fits me perfectly and I kinda like that two tone paisley paint and the little pink ribbon painted on the bike isn't noticeable. The dark pink K2's don't bother me.
https://www.k2bike.com/index.php?bran...WIND&2007=true

How many of You guys ride girls bikes and what are they!
Old 03-25-08, 05:02 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a several "step through" frames. The one that gets the most use is my 2003 Staiger that I use as my grocery getter. The others are an early 80's Raleigh Sprite 10 speed and an early 80's Raleigh Sports.

The Staiger makes a lot of sense, it is easier to mount when fully loaded by stepping thru, rather than trying to throw a leg over the load or balance while hopping over the top tube.

The picture of the Staiger is an old one and doesn't show the baskets that have been installed on it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-25-08, 05:13 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
You're both riding girls bikes. No problem. I have a girls job. (Hospital RN). You got a problem with that?
Old 03-25-08, 05:47 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by texasphil
Fess up, how many of you's guys ride girls bikes. My wife bought a new pretty road bike all decked out in 105. So I inherited her old bike with womens specific geometry. Her old bike looks like new and to replace it with a mens version would cost too much. It fits me perfectly and I kinda like that two tone paisley paint and the little pink ribbon painted on the bike isn't noticeable. The dark pink K2's don't bother me.
https://www.k2bike.com/index.php?bran...WIND&2007=true

How many of You guys ride girls bikes and what are they!
It doesn't even look like a WSD--hurrah!

I say that because not all female riders want to ride something that's pink and white--unless that's one of several options*. Much as I may like pink bikes (subtle pinks) I would hate to be restricted to that one colour choice.

East Hill
Old 03-25-08, 05:51 PM
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have commuted on my wife's bike, but the top tube is too short for me. Other than that, it's a nice bike.
Old 03-25-08, 06:09 PM

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do too, I've got a Batavus B-1 that I bought for my wife but it was too big; I started using it because it was too nice to take back, now it's my main commuter.
Old 03-25-08, 10:25 PM
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a early 80's Schwinn Varsity lady's bike (yellow, btw). I considered using for grocery runs, however it needs restoring first.
Old 03-26-08, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
You aren't alone. There are hundreds of thousands of men in Europe who ride step-through "ladies" bikes every day without fearing for their manly image.
Old 03-26-08, 05:26 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

I ride my Daughter's bike. It's a Fuji Boulevard. I modified it by installing BMX handlebars.

I really prefer to ride a step-thru frame bike because it's easier to dismount . Especially if there's a car coming up behind me. It enables me to get a good look at the driver.
Having your leg trapped by a top tube isn't a great idea.
Old 03-26-08, 05:48 AM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Murray 10 speed I have bolted to my trainer is a womens step-through frame.

My greenway bike is unisex.

My mountain bike is all man though!

I say a bike is just a bike. There is no shame in guys riding a bike with a lower top tube.
Old 03-26-08, 07:23 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan

I say a bike is just a bike. There is no shame in guys riding a bike with a lower top tube.
Especially if it spares one from the unpleasant pain associated of hitting top tubes with sensitive bits !

East Hill
Old 03-26-08, 07:58 AM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck… Texasphil, your bike doesn’t even look like a stereotypical “woman’s” bike, most people won’t even give you a second look going down the road.

I ride a U-frame step through cruiser… and a Fuji Mixte. I have a bit of a medical reason for riding my current bikes, but I do really like them anyway.

I guess I was lucky(?): I grew up in an area where some of the toughest guys I knew rode so-called girls bikes. They rode the devil out of those bikes too. Probably more so than we did our so-called guy’s bikes.

They were poor, and that’s all their family’s could afford to get them(mostly used rummage bikes). But, I’ll tell you one thing, no one dared to question their masculinity, or less you would be picking your teeth up to take home with you. So… I never learned bike-sex gender discrimination, like a lot of other kids I went to school with did.

There are, as someone else said, a lot of men that have found the benefits of riding a step through frame… Even if my medical reason ever evolves to the point where I can ride a diamond frame again: I still may never…

Just ride what you like, and that fits you… With many of the new designs, it’s hard to tell the difference anyway. Someday someone may come out with a CF racing frame that’s a step through, and then everybody will want one. It could happen....
Old 03-26-08, 06:44 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do too, as I don't like kicking my 2 year old in the head or dumping her to the ground mounting and dismounting.

The wife's bike with the child seat. I never put a child seat on a regular (Men's) frame. I've seen one guy dump his bike and kid trying to get off a regular frame/childseat setup. He's even suing the bike manufacturer, the seat manufacturer, and the bike shop he bought it from.

Previoulsy mentioned 2 year old.
Old 03-26-08, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She's a sweetie! I would too.

I know there's gotta be somebody (probably working on wall street) riding a girls bike thats 20" pink with streamers and a white front basket. So if you're out there come clean and you won''t be outed.
Old 03-26-08, 09:07 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Same bike with a wicker basket from a day long ride last fall at Hunting Island, SC. The girl and I had a blast, even passing a poser on a Cannondale Scalpel on an easy trail. The bike, Trek Sole Ride 300, only has a 3 speed Shimano Nexus hub, but with a rear roller brake, no coaster, allowing freewheeling backpedaling.