Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Repair Advice?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Repair Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 06:02 AM

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Wheel Repair Advice?

Two summers ago a friend of mine got a Kona Dew Deluxe for RAGBRAI and started having spokes break just days before he was to start the ride.

The local bike shops couldn't get to it in time, and since I've built a couple of wheels for myself offered to do a quick rebuild with new spokes to get him back on the road. The wheel appeared to be doing great until yesterday when a spoke completely broke through the rim. I now see stress cracks around other spokes as well. Clearly, I over-tensioned the spokes. He's being cool about not making me feel liable, but I'd like to at least help him get the bike back on the road.

His hub is a Shimano FH-M475 (Note: this hub is for disc brakes)

His rim is a Sunrims MZ14 (Note: 700c and no braking surface, i.e., disc-specific)

What's the most cost-effective solution for him at this point? I'd be willing to rebuild the wheel for him with a new rim and spokes (and better research on max. spoke tension!), but perhaps just buying a complete wheel would be a better option?

However, 700c disc-specific wheels don't seem that common.... anyone know of a good source? I see Alfred E Bike has a Velocity BLUNT rim laced to an XT disc hub for ~$130. Is that rim only good for REALLY wide tires, like used for 29" mountain bikes?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-D

Last edited by Derailed; 03-27-08 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-27-08, 10:47 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There is another thread going on where the OP is also looking for a disc braked 700c road wheel. Some of the recommendations there should help you too.
Old 03-27-08, 11:17 AM
cycle-commuter

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Univega Via de Oro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure about the cost-effectiveness question, but according to this...

https://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=626

...the Velocity Blunt rim has an exterior width of 28 mm. Too bad they don't list inner width, but I'm guessing it'd be around 23 mm. I don't know how narrow a tire your buddy wants to ride, but even if the inner width were as little as 21 mm, it seems like his min. tire width would be 35 mm or so:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Aren't the Sun MZ14 rims considerably narrower?...
Old 03-27-08, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spokes are breaking before you ride? Is the wheel haunted?
Old 03-27-08, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It sounds to me as if the rim wasn't any good to begin with. I really doubt that you used too much tension for an average rim. Good quality rims can take a lot more tension than the recommended tension.

Al