Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Joel Pearson news?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 10:29 PM
seppomadness

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Joel Pearson news?

Has anyone heard anything about Joel? I cant find anything on cyclingnews.com but I could be searching with my eyes closed. My sister is friends with him and apparently he has been in a coma in France after a really nasty off. Word from his girlfriend is that he has openned his eyes. Apparently he is pretty messed up.

Can anyone confirm this? I only just heard this so i'm sorry if its already been covered.

(Footnote: Joel is a gun Aussie rider racing in Europe)

Old 03-29-08, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You could ring someone at Warragul Cycling Club or ring Bicycle Superstore in Warragul. Phil at Superstore may know. Joel has a lot of mates in Warragul and I'm sure someone there will be up to date on any news.
Old 03-30-08, 12:56 AM
seppomadness

Originally Posted by classic1
You could ring someone at Warragul Cycling Club or ring Bicycle Superstore in Warragul. Phil at Superstore may know. Joel has a lot of mates in Warragul and I'm sure someone there will be up to date on any news.
Phil G?

I will ask my cuz. She might know.

Old 03-30-08, 05:11 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seppomadness
Phil G?
Yep. May even give him a call myself.

Originally Posted by seppomadness
I will ask my cuz. She might know.
IIRC she heads off to the US on Tuesday.
Old 03-30-08, 06:30 PM
seppomadness

Small world.

Yep he has had a bad one. Real bad. Still in an induced coma in France somewhere and not breathing on his own yet. Crazy cnut did try to pull his tubes out so they rammed him full of the good stuff so he cant annoy anyone.

I do hope fantapants gets better soon cos I totally respect the way he races and how he conducted himself when I came across him.

Last edited by seppomadness; 03-30-08 at 06:43 PM.

Old 03-31-08, 05:59 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Where did you hear that info from? Did you call Phil?

Poor Joel. He's a hard bugger. The story goes he'd go out with the Warragul Thursday morning group when it was a frost with no gloves, arm warmers or legwarmers.
Old 03-31-08, 03:55 PM
seppomadness

My info comes via my sister and via Joel's girlfriend Tara. I still cant find out what race it happened in. I know his parents and family are at the hospital with him now. They seem pretty positive now but apparently the first two days post accident were dicey for him.

Last edited by seppomadness; 03-31-08 at 04:08 PM.

Old 04-01-08, 04:51 AM
seppomadness

Badly broken arm which they are operating on tomorrow apparently (smashed collarbone too). Taken the tubes out of his chest which were draining his lungs of fluid so good news there. Still not breathing on his own though. But his family are pretty upbeat and he is doing orright.

Apparently he is giving the nurses the complete sh1ts (continually trying to pull his tubes out when he comes too) and generally running a muck. (As much as he can in the circumstances.)

Anyway that is probably enough detail. He is definitely on the road to recovery and I am sure it will be an interesting tale for him to expand on when he is up and about.

Edit: If anyone wants to send over a get well card or some stick mags (I think he is going to be shacked up for a while yet) then drop me a PM and I will give you the address in France.

Last edited by seppomadness; 04-01-08 at 06:56 AM.

Old 04-01-08, 06:20 PM

Bikes: Wilier, Alchemy, Merida MTB,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers for the updates sepps.

It's a ***** thing to happen coz he was getting some good results, at least from what I had noticed anyway.

Dunno about stick mags for someone with a badly broken arm though - depends on if it was his "preferred" side I suppose.
Old 04-05-08, 03:29 AM
seppomadness

Joel isn't doing so good.

Old 04-05-08, 06:49 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Whats the story?
Old 04-07-08, 02:49 AM
seppomadness

Originally Posted by classic1
Whats the story?
I sent you a PM about it (in case people think I am ignoring you). He is one mega sick fella.

Old 04-07-08, 05:50 AM

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks dude. No one knows anything down my way. I might ring big Phil tomorrow.
Old 04-14-08, 08:04 AM
seppomadness

Apparently he has turned a bit of a corner finally and aiming to let him breathe on his own in the next few days. They want to kick him out of hospital in about 2 weeks and he is definitely coming home to oz. Hopefully he will be terrorizing the locals on the bike before too long.

Good work fantapantz.

Ps. They plated up his busted up body the other day too so he is now part machine like me too. Good stuff. You havent lived unless you have titanium implants.

Last edited by seppomadness; 04-14-08 at 08:09 AM.