Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Do Certain shoes matter.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper Comp. and a Giant Sedona. Also a stationary bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do Certain shoes matter.

I have been continplating on getting a pair of Mountain bike shoes. Do they really matter. or does any type of cycling shoe really matter. Now, take into consideration I am not on clip in pedals just yet. I thought I might wait for awhile before I go down that route.

Do some of these specialized shoes make any difference at all.
Old 03-31-08, 08:56 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Yes, they do! If you want a walkable shoe that you can use with Clipps and straps, but can use with clipless later, get the Specialized Tahoe. It's a comfortable touring/Mountain Bike show and it looks like a normal shoe.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 03-31-08, 09:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay but, and forgive my ignorance in all of this. If I don't plan on getting straps #1 does it warrant getting a MTB shoe for any reason. Or should I just stick with my Cross Training shoes. and spend the money elsewhere on other things that may come up with my bike.
Old 03-31-08, 09:15 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Well, the Tahoes will run about the same price as a good set of Crosstrainers, and offer a much stiffer sole. In addition, if you decide to go to the cleatlocked "Clipless" style pedal for greater efficiency in power transfer,you'll be ahead of the game and they'll offer a wide range of compatibility to the cleat systems.

Old 03-31-08, 09:41 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoaringMad Mac
...Do some of these specialized shoes make any difference at all.
Absolutely, especially if, like the sidi srs shoes, you don't have to throw good shoes away just because the sole has worn down. They also provide a stable platform to push against, a good heel fit to pull back up with and the stiffer te sole the less trouble you'll have with hotspots, numbness, sore feet and power loss.

Time, every time!
https://www.timesport.fr/us/home.htm
https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/manufacturers/3421/

Sidi SRS only!
https://www.sidisport.com/
https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/manufacturers/3490/

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 03-31-08, 12:32 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
shoes and clipless pedals are one of the best upgrades for your bike

I second the recommendation for Sidi shoes. They are a bit on the expensive side but very well constructed. My Sidi Dominators have lasted 12 yrs.

Specialized has some less expensive offerings that are nice too.
Old 03-31-08, 12:54 PM
JRA.

Bikes: '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto on the Sidis. I have a pair that I've been using for all my riding for about 3 years now they're holding up great.
2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)
Old 03-31-08, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Ground Control

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but, for those of us who have wide feet (10EEE), is there a shoe out there that will fit? I've had bike shoes before for clips, but they are really too narrow, even in a size 12. At this point in my life, I refuse to pay more than $10 for a pair of shoes that don't fit. Anyone?

Jim
Old 03-31-08, 02:04 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm reading something else in the original post. I'm taking it that he poster is asking if he should go with a mtb shoe eventhough he isn't riding clipless pedals. Maybe I'm a dufus, am I wrong?

If you aren't using clipless pedals, don't go with a mtn bike shoe if you are using to straps (toe clips). The sole is aggressive which means you will not be able to slide your foot out of the straps in an emergency.

If you use plain platform pedals, then yes a mtb shoe will make a difference. It is stiff at the sole and makes for a better cycling. A tennis shoe will flex all over the pedal. MTB shoes are a bit stuffer and less flexible.

If you use clipess pedals ( clip in cleat type) then yes it is a good idea to go with a mtn shoe. Or a road shoe system depending on which you prefer.

I ride road bikes but use a mountain shoe as I find it more comfortable. When you get ready to go clipless, chose what works for you. Some roadies insist road shoes work better. I find mountain shoes work for me. I like the better traction, especially when riding a tandem supporting the weight of two riders on my feet. Just had a friend do the splits on Saturday when he unclipped in a near emergency situation. He did get his foot down but the slick sole sent him sailing.
Old 03-31-08, 02:37 PM

As I was able to parse, he wants to ride platforms and no straps. That was my reason for suggesting the Tahoe

That way, if he DOES convert to locking cleat pedals, he's ahead of the game He could look at Schimano's campus pedals, for example

Nashbar version here

Last edited by Tom Stormcrowe; 03-31-08 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 03:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Tahoe shoes. I got them and a set of commuter pedals with SPD clip on one side and flats on the other. I use the clip for almost all my rides, but when I want to run to the end of the block for a coffee I keep my work shoes on.

I am using the Shimano 324 pedals.
Old 03-31-08, 04:09 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbobborg
Not to hijack this thread, but, for those of us who have wide feet (10EEE), is there a shoe out there that will fit? I've had bike shoes before for clips, but they are really too narrow, even in a size 12. At this point in my life, I refuse to pay more than $10 for a pair of shoes that don't fit. Anyone?

Jim
Try before you buy (always ) sidi mega.

They're extra wide and even fit my aboriginal feet (the shoes are available up to an ~EU52 EE-EEE) - by aboriginal feet, think of short, widely spaced, inflexible toes on a wedge shaped foot.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 03-31-08, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Surley Crosscheck, 1988 Rockhopper Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was using regular "sneakers" before going clipless with the taho shoes mentioned above. One problem the sneakers had was that they were being cut into by the pedal. i was using very loose toe straps at the time and the shoes would rest in the same place causing the same place to get worn. I would figure from my experience unless you had a fairly smooth pedal, you will rip up a soft sneaker sole. That is one of the reason why I went clipless.
Eric
Old 03-31-08, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response guys I think I will eventually go clipless. I just have to now save up a little bit of money for that endevor. LOL.
Old 03-31-08, 09:22 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the response guys I think I will eventually go clipless. I just have to now save up a little bit of money for that endevor. LOL.

I see sales every once in awhile on some of the sites like Nashbar. Wellgo SPD's for $29. Yeah everybody will say they are cheap but I bought a pair about 8 years ago, slapped them on my tandem. They are still there and going strong. I keep thinking I will have to replace them soon. They have outlasted several others I've had, more expensive models.

You can find really inexpensive shoes on Performance or equal. Any clipless system is an upgrade in my opinion.
Old 03-31-08, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 1,013 Posts
I was using regular shoes for about 3 months and I noticed an immediate improvement when I moved to clipless, but I think a lot had to do with the firm sole on the shoe and the lack of flex on the foot.

Old 03-31-08, 09:57 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by ericthered
I was using regular "sneakers" before going clipless with the taho shoes mentioned above. One problem the sneakers had was that they were being cut into by the pedal. i was using very loose toe straps at the time and the shoes would rest in the same place causing the same place to get worn. I would figure from my experience unless you had a fairly smooth pedal, you will rip up a soft sneaker sole. That is one of the reason why I went clipless.
Eric
I did a tour with Neil F. while wearing crosstrainers. Never again. The flexible sole ate a lot of my pedal stroke.

Old 03-31-08, 10:18 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also look at pricepoint...sette shoes fit a wide foot and you can use them with or without clipless. I found them comfy

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 04-01-08, 06:01 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by cohophysh
Also look at pricepoint...sette shoes fit a wide foot and you can use them with or without clipless. I found them comfy
Thanks for the tip. At the risk of becoming the Imelda Marcos of cycling, I'm probably going to order a pair of the Sette Rivals. I like my MTB shoes, both pairs, but they aren't ideal for walking, and I tend to do a fair amount of walking on tour.

Old 04-01-08, 06:28 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz

If you aren't using clipless pedals, don't go with a mtn bike shoe if you are using to straps (toe clips). The sole is aggressive which means you will not be able to slide your foot out of the straps in an emergency.

If you use plain platform pedals, then yes a mtb shoe will make a difference. It is stiff at the sole and makes for a better cycling. A tennis shoe will flex all over the pedal. MTB shoes are a bit stiffer and less flexible.
I've discovered the truth of this statement. Whenever I've had to cycle for long distances wearing ordinary athletic shoes, I've felt it in my legs and knees. The stiffness of MTB shoes gives me more power in my pedal stroke and lessens the strain on my legs.

Old 04-01-08, 09:16 AM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I was using regular shoes for about 3 months and I noticed an immediate improvement when I moved to clipless, but I think a lot had to do with the firm sole on the shoe and the lack of flex on the foot.
I totally agree clipless is a huge benefit. I rode with straps and toe clip for about a year when i started cycling and it felt fine so I was dubious about going clipless last summer. I took the plunge and it was the single purchase that made the biggest improvement so far, even more than buying my first cycling shorts. It allowed me to pedal in a circle.
Old 04-01-08, 10:55 AM

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Ground Control

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, folks. I have avoided riding with bike shoes for about 20 years due to the bad experiences I had with fit and all.

Jim
Old 04-01-08, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am certainly glad I have gotten this info because I will try my best to go clipless now.
Old 04-01-08, 08:52 PM
Neil_B

Well, I am certainly glad I have gotten this info because I will try my best to go clipless now.
Only if you feel comfortable doing so. Unfortunately hanging around on Bike Forums draws you bike consumerism at full throttle. Don't get sucked into the feeling you NEED to ride clipless, or that you need to ride clipless right away.

Old 04-01-08, 09:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i never could get any shoes to fit my heel properly except the cheapest specialized for some reason... i never did buy them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.