Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lefty Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 07:59 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Lefty Bikes

Anyone heard of, or own a "lefty bike"?? Saw one last week at a LBS. It was a Cannondale, had only the left side of the fork on the front of the bike, there was no right front fork. I talked to the technician as I thought that this must put a lot of stress on the left front causing a lot of problems with the tire getting out of true etc, or worse.

He gave me a lengthy technical explanation that I didn't quite get. At the end he stated " and you can change a flat without taking the wheel off."

Would like to know if anyone has been riding one and if so, is this just a gimmick or what? Price was about $2k!
Old 04-02-08, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
April fools!
Old 04-02-08, 08:24 AM
the bike made me do it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a gimmick, they have been around for ages. As far as I am concerned they are one of the best suspension forks going. They have great lateral stiffness, easy lock out and function great. The last 2 years Cannondale has been having issues with the high end Lefties though. There quality control has not been the best on the high end stuff. That being said, Cannondale has an amazing warranty and repair depertment.
Old 04-02-08, 08:52 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one way of using a lefty fork

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 04-02-08, 08:53 AM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I talked to a guy once who was dropping off one of those at the LBS. He said it took him a few
minutes of re-learning balancing when it was new, but other than that he really liked it.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 04-02-08, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oneredstar
Not a gimmick, they have been around for ages. As far as I am concerned they are one of the best suspension forks going. They have great lateral stiffness, easy lock out and function great. The last 2 years Cannondale has been having issues with the high end Lefties though. There quality control has not been the best on the high end stuff. That being said, Cannondale has an amazing warranty and repair depertment.
If they are not a gimmick, are there real advantages to them?
Old 04-02-08, 10:19 AM
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha Ha ,Not really.

Originally Posted by Timtruro
Anyone heard of, or own a "lefty bike"?? Saw one last week at a LBS. It was a Cannondale, had only the left side of the fork on the front of the bike, there was no right front fork. I talked to the technician as I thought that this must put a lot of stress on the left front causing a lot of problems with the tire getting out of true etc, or worse.

He gave me a lengthy technical explanation that I didn't quite get. At the end he stated " and you can change a flat without taking the wheel off."

Would like to know if anyone has been riding one and if so, is this just a gimmick or what? Price was about $2k!
Actually, it is not as big of a joke as You think The giant Halfway( Folder) had single sided front fork which allowed easier changing of a flat.
Old 04-02-08, 10:35 AM
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been around for ages my local bike shop swears by them
Old 04-02-08, 10:44 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Your car is a lefty. And a righty.

My friend has one and he said when he first got on it, visually it felt funny. He felt as if the wheel was going to fall off and kept trying not to put too much weight on the unsupported side. When he took it out with a bunch of his gonzo kamakaze friends up in the mountains, he had no choice but to trust it (or look like a pansy!) He said it performed well and that going there with the guys helped him to get over his fear.

The shock is extra burly too, by the way.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-02-08, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Some Monoblade fork bikes

The science bit it that if you take all the metal on the right side of the fork and add it to the left side, then increase the diameter of the monoblade, you will end up with a structure that is much stiffer, so stiff that you can dump some of the extra metal. The axle diameter is increased to prevent bending and the axle to fork connection can be fairly permanent, no QR required.