Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Better bike saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Better bike saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better bike saddle?

I have been riding three of the last four years, usually to work to and back. It is just over 7 miles one way. For the last couple of years I notice that by the time I have made that short distance I am usually numb in the groin area. I would like to start riding longer distances on the weekend but until I can keep from going numb I am not going to. I saw a seat online called the Spriderflex, does anyone have one of these or now if it or similar types help? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-04-08, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Know why there are so many different saddles on the market? It's because somebody loves every blessed one of them. Finding the right saddle is a hunt and peck proposition.

Lots of people like Brooks saddles. I'm one of them. Other folks hate Brooks saddles. I suspect that, if you ask enough people, you'll find the same's true of just about any saddle you might mention.

Pick a saddle and try it for a month or so. If you decide it's not for you, try another. When you find the right one, buy 2 because, when it eventually dies that exact model won't be available anymore. Then you'll have to go through the process all over again.
Old 04-04-08, 09:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank Retro, I will go by my local shops and see what they have and start trying them.
Old 04-04-08, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Retro, I will go to my local shops and start trying to find one that doesn't cause discomfort.
Old 04-04-08, 09:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saddles can be very confusing. I have two saddles that are similar in look and feel (by touch, not on butt), one is great the other one hurts like the dickens. I can't tell you why one hurts and the other doesn't.

Saddles are one of those things that you can't really ask for recommendations. Well, you can ask about quality but not about how they feel. Though, the general rule is that those big soft, cushy saddles will hurt you on longer rides. They put pressure on parts that shouldn't have pressure.
Old 04-04-08, 11:27 PM
hubgears

Bikes: Dahon Curve SL, 2008 with Nexus Premium 8 hub, and many modifications.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could try a saddle that has a center groove, to avoid pressure on the nerve. I have a Serfas Men's RX. It has a full length see thru open groove. I like it a lot.
Old 04-05-08, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by BB49
You could try a saddle that has a center groove, to avoid pressure on the nerve. I have a Serfas Men's RX. It has a full length see thru open groove. I like it a lot.
My wife uses the women's version of that saddle. Actually, she has 2 of them, one for her single and one on the tandem. I asked her last year if she was interested in trying a Brooks and she said no. I assume that means she is happy and they cost a lot less than a Brooks.
Old 04-05-08, 05:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To make matters worse, when comparing Brooks saddles, they feel different from saddle to saddle, even within the same model. Leather is leather and as such, no two saddles will ever be the same. For example, I have two Pros, one has leather that feels harder and is thicker than than the other one. They are shaped the same, but they both "give" differently.

A good LBS will work with you to get a saddle that works. I have tried other saddles, ones with cut outs and ones without and find that I always go back to Brooks. They just feel right to me.

If you go with Brooks, avoid all of the "break in" methods that you find on the web. Stick with proofide and proper mounting position. And...Don't expect to sit on any saddle for long distances without standing occasionally to relieve pressure.
Old 04-05-08, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wallbike.com gives you a 6 month return policy with a brooks.
Old 04-05-08, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by rodrigaj
If you go with Brooks, avoid all of the "break in" methods that you find on the web. Stick with proofide and proper mounting position.
I agree. I've broken in 3 Brooks saddles and I find all of the stories to be hugely overstated. About 100 miles of ordinary riding and all 3 of mine were good-to-go.
Old 04-05-08, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I used a spiderflex for quite a while and it solved the groin area problem, although it took some getting used to. It works better for a road bike position (bent way over) than for a hybrid's more upright poition. Because of low back and wrist pain problems I went 'bent and have never looked back, concluding that DF is obsolete. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 04-05-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 06:58 PM
1 bike 2 many.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
When you find the right one, buy 2 because, when it eventually dies that exact model won't be available anymore. Then you'll have to go through the process all over again.
This is true of so many different things...especially athletic shoes and underwear.

I know...TMI.
Old 04-05-08, 07:10 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am a big fan of leather saddles in general and have had excellent service from my Brooks, even though the saddle I have had the longest is a Wright's 5N (similar to the Brooks B17) I will also second the difference in leather saddles, even if they are the same number. I will also highly recommend Wallingford Bike Parts as the place to get Brooks and other items of interest.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-05-08, 07:51 PM
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BB49
I have one of those too. It's not bad up to 20-30 miles. For distance rides, though, it's really bad on my sit bones.

I replaced it with a hard Forte/Velo saddle that I've used for my distance rides since. It's probably not my ideal saddle, but it works well. It's actually a bit less immediately comfortable than I remember the Serfas being, but it's pretty consistent out to 70 and 100 miles.
Old 04-05-08, 08:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Butterthebean
This is true of so many different things...especially athletic shoes and underwear.

I know...TMI.
And women!

I like the center groove. I have one that I can ride all day without any discomfort.
Old 04-06-08, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by workrider04
... I would like to start riding longer distances on the weekend but until I can keep from going numb I am not going to. ...Thanks for any help.
There's bicycles that will not cause this--recumbents (Sun and Cycle Genius make some cheaper ones--$700 or so) or maybe a RANS Dynamik ($1K).

The HUGE difference in riding comfort of a recumbent over an upright bike cannot be overstated.

The Dynamik is not quite as comfortable as a recumbent, but it is still a big improvement over a normal upright bike, and still handles and looks fairly normal.

-----

The problem is that a normal bicycle forces you to lean forward onto your crotch, and changing saddles is not going to make that position comfortable.
~
Old 04-06-08, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
+1 on Doug5150's plug for recumbents. If it's comfort you want, it's the only way to go. The downside is the expense, even worse if you are partial to mid-high end bikes. Yep, I have 3K in my $1400.00 EZ Sport. Do I regret it? Not one dime of it. It's a real nice ride that is well fitted to me. bk
Old 04-07-08, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all very much for the replies. I will pay a visit to my LBS and see what they have. Until then I will continue to ride as much as I can.
Old 04-07-08, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use an Easyseat.
Old 04-07-08, 08:03 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The WTB saddles I use on a couple of bikes have a Love Channel; might help lessen getting "...numb in the groin area". Is that where Mr. Johnson lives? Absolutely no similar issues with the RANS Comfy Chair.
Old 04-08-08, 11:30 AM
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodrigaj
To make matters worse, when comparing Brooks saddles, they feel different from saddle to saddle, even within the same model. Leather is leather and as such, no two saddles will ever be the same. For example, I have two Pros, one has leather that feels harder and is thicker than than the other one. They are shaped the same, but they both "give" differently.
Agreed. I have a couple of B-17's and all of them have had a different break in curve. Then you switch models/styles and they have a break in all their own. My B-72 is breaking in much faster but then again, my big butt is perched right on top of it compared to the angle that the B-17's have to support.
Old 04-08-08, 07:36 PM

Bikes: kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second the Brooks. I got a B17 for my birthday last May. It only took a couple weeks to break in nicely. Now it almost feels like part of my butt!
Old 04-08-08, 08:09 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
The one thing that I did not see mentioned is to go to your LBS and make sure your current saddle is adjusted correctly, along with the rest of your fit. You can pay $200 for a saddle but if it is not adjusted correctly, it's worthless.
Old 04-08-08, 08:48 PM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a spiderflex, and a couple other noseless saddles after prostate surgery last year. They work, they keep pressure off your parts, BUT until you ride a noseless saddle you don't realize how much of a bikes stability is gained from you gripping the nose of the saddle with your thighs. Riding no hands was out of the question with noseless saddles for me, and I had to be very careful riding with one hand ( like when taking a drink). Also, I suspect the noseless saddles put a little more pressure on the knees. Try lots of different saddles and adjustments before going to a noseless saddle. They should be a last resort.