Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Road Manners?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good Road Manners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 03:18 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
It all comes back to one simple question. How much experience does the author have in terms of cycling in traffic? Or cycling generally for that matter? In any other activity, that would be the first question asked when something like this is written. I rarely pay attention to "safety instructions" of this nature, because my own experience is usually far greater than that of the author (with a couple of rare exceptions).

Unfortunately, cycling seems to be unique in that it's the only activity in the world in which a person can get behind a keyboard and suddenly become an "expert" with no experience needed.

That is all.
Old 04-10-08, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
>If drivers really have so much "difficulty" in overtaking cyclists, perhaps we should always push to the >front and ensure we clear the intersection to make it easier on them.

That's the standard here. In fact, many intersections have an extra line with a bike symbol in front of the normal stop line, so that cyclists know to wait there. I tend to take off in a curve, veering left (away from traffic), then back into the flow as I get more stable. At least everyone can see what I'm doing.

Steve
Old 04-10-08, 07:09 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
...Unfortunately, cycling seems to be unique in that it's the only activity in the world in which a person can get behind a keyboard and suddenly become an "expert" with no experience needed.
+1

..and quite often behind traffic planning draughting boards too
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 04-10-08, 10:01 PM
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's missing from this list is the preamble: If you're going to ride in traffic, you need to claim your space on the road in order to be safe. However, sometimes it is possible to give back some space and help out other road users without compromising your own safety. For instance ...
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org
Old 04-11-08, 04:45 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
That's the standard here. In fact, many intersections have an extra line with a bike symbol in front of the normal stop line, so that cyclists know to wait there.
Yeah, we have the same line markings in this city too. I have to say that in all the places I've ridden (in Australia, New Zealand or the UK), I've never known drivers anywhere to complain about me picking my way to the front of the queue at traffic lights.

That is all.
Old 04-11-08, 07:25 AM
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DCCommuter
What's missing from this list is the preamble: If you're going to ride in traffic, you need to claim your space on the road in order to be safe. However, sometimes it is possible to give back some space and help out other road users without compromising your own safety. For instance ...
+1
. . /L
=()>()