Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

GBikes, pls. hear me out!!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 02:44 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Marin San Anselmo, old Mountain Bike, real old schwinn road bike, and Birdy folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this is out there; There's E bikes, and they're ok for certain applications I'd like to open discussion on Gas Bikes... I've been down the pike (punny) as a dedicated conventional bike rider now for years: No car, hardly even ever take public trans. Did help out a friend who was trying to start E bike/scooter franchise by demo-ing his wares. For months forced myself into riding Tidalforce, ebike, many lesser types, electric Birdy, always missed just peddaling. BUT for two abstract reasons I see a niche for small engine gas powered bikes...

One, scooting out of town if my hometown decides to evacuate. Far fetched? I live in a third world country management wise, and probably a good target city. A little assist while pulling a loaded BOB westward would be ok.

Two, After all my experience with e bikes the limitations and battery life is horrible. Just like the Prius fad, there are little cars out there that offer 35 plus mpg, no batteries to replace and with moderate sane use are most viable.

Why not little gas engines on bikes?
Old 04-06-08, 02:48 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by daibutsu
Why not little gas engines on bikes?
I believe we already have these, they're called motorcycles.
Old 04-06-08, 02:54 PM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
And scooters.
Old 04-06-08, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
There are several kits for retro fitting a gas engine to bicycle frames, both frame mounted engines and hub gas engines. A few threads in the E-Bike sub-forum are about petrol assisted bikes.
No shame in having an assist motor, especially for cargo bikes.
Old 04-06-08, 03:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Marin San Anselmo, old Mountain Bike, real old schwinn road bike, and Birdy folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that was quick; so total disdain of fuel other than electrons? Where do all our electrons come from?
Old 04-06-08, 03:02 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
There are several kits for retro fitting a gas engine to bicycle frames, both frame mounted engines and hub gas engines.
Dirty, noisy, scummy little things for the most part, aren't they?
Old 04-06-08, 03:04 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, that was quick; so total disdain of fuel other than electrons? Where do all our electrons come from?
It's not disdain, really. Gas engines for bicycle applications is a fairly neglected niche, so there probably isn't a whole lot out there. On the other hand, there's a much larger market for scooters (49cc and up) and motorcycles (125/250cc and up). It's not like your next larger option is a car, here.
Old 04-06-08, 03:07 PM

The outer shell of their parent atom.

No, not total distain, but you will find a lot of noses pointed upward. My big ol' e-bike got a lot of ridicule at first, and after it grew an xtracycle rear end it was considered cool. Different gets attention, not all of it good.
Old 04-06-08, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by x136
Dirty, noisy, scummy little things for the most part, aren't they?
Some are, some are not. The hub motors are actually fairly quiet, not silent but for what they are they are not as loud as you would expect. However some are little more than smoke pots hanging from the top tube.
Old 04-06-08, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by x136
It's not disdain, really. Gas engines for bicycle applications is a fairly neglected niche, so there probably isn't a whole lot out there. On the other hand, there's a much larger market for scooters (49cc and up) and motorcycles (125/250cc and up). It's not like your next larger option is a car, here.
Very true.
Old 04-06-08, 03:17 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
Some are, some are not. The hub motors are actually fairly quiet, not silent but for what they are they are not as loud as you would expect.
Ah. Seems that most of what I've seen in this arena (and granted, I haven't looked very hard) has been stuff similar to what you'd find in areas like China or India, where not much attention is paid to... well, much of anything.
Old 04-06-08, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 28"trek is my favorite boney gravel bike /climbers are a canondale and access

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is an outfit in Florida that builds a power assist honda setup that I used and liked very much,If the time came again for carrying loads on a bike Id do it again /much more comfortable in bad cool weather./Ken