Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disturbing Prank

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 05:26 PM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Disturbing Prank

-cross posted in Mid-Atlantic forum (oops, there is no Mid Atlantic forum)

Saturday I was riding from Falls Church, VA to DC and Bethesda, MD. Had a quick stop at one of the museums on the Mall. Locked up to a bike rack and went in for about 10 minutes. Unlocked and continued my ride. Noticed that my wireless sensor was clicking - hitting the magnet. Then the brakes felt funny when I stopped using the front brake only. Then I noticed that the front wheel felt funny - making noise, rubbing the brake, etc. I stopped to take a closer look and felt that the wheel was loose. The quick release had been flipped open. The axle was still finger tight so the wheel wasn't dropping out. The lever was positioned against the front fork so except for the curve of the handle it looked normal.

I might have thought it was an accident or oversight on my part, except I transport my bike without removing the wheels and I had done a full bike check at the start of the ride. I hadn't checked the quick release itself, but I had checked the front wheel and it was tight and spinning normally. My suspicion is that someone messed with the QR while I was away and set it up so it wouldn't be noticed easily. I had ridden a couple of miles before is loosened up enough for me to notice. Luckily I didn't hit a pothole or something that would have popped my wheel out.

Never expected anything like this. Probably just a prank, but a dangerous one. For now on I'll be checking the wheels if I leave my bike for a while.
Old 04-06-08, 05:30 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
That's happened to me twice. Some people are mean.

Here it happened I think by accident but on another occasion I suspect it was a prank like your experience:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...484&highlight=
Old 04-06-08, 06:11 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
That's when those lawyer lips can actually save you from losing that wheel....
Old 04-06-08, 06:15 PM
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I always check my bike after I've left it in public. Only takes 5-10 seconds, and I think it's worth it. Haven't found any problem yet though.
Old 04-06-08, 09:14 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yup, you were in DC. Could've been a tourist, a cherry blossom gazer, a homeless drunk, a tourist-hating resident, one of a gajillion HS/Jr. High kids, etc etc.
Old 04-07-08, 02:35 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Someone actually stole my quick release once. I didn't notice until I went over a kerb and the wheel popped off - several kilometres from where I started. Surprising how well a wheel holds on without the QR. I guess I was lucky that when the wheel came off I was going extremely slow, and didn't hurt myself - just burst out laughing because I thought it was so hilarious.

Steve
Old 04-07-08, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The other trick with potentially serious consequences is undoing the brake cables on canti and V brakes. It's happened once to me and I knew the perpetrator (who was actually a good kid, but a misguided prankster). He got a severe mouthful when I saw him next.
Old 04-07-08, 05:43 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've wondered if any of my coworkers fiddle with the inline barrel adjusters on my bike.
Old 04-07-08, 06:31 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My bikes all have skewers that require a hex wrench to pull that prank.
Old 04-07-08, 06:50 AM
Calamari to go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Yup, you were in DC. Could've been a tourist, a cherry blossom gazer, a homeless drunk, a tourist-hating resident, one of a gajillion HS/Jr. High kids, etc etc.
Probably not a homeless from where the rack was. Very public place full of tourists.
There were two mtbs locked to the rack opposite my bike that were gone when I returned. They'd be my main suspect, but who knows.
No damage this time, but I'll be checking the qr's in the future.
Old 04-07-08, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
The other trick with potentially serious consequences is undoing the brake cables on canti and V brakes. It's happened once to me and I knew the perpetrator (who was actually a good kid, but a misguided prankster). He got a severe mouthful when I saw him next.
I had someone steal the brake pads from my front brake once. I don't think it was a prank, though. I lock my bike up outside my office building most days, right near the messenger center for the building. I suspect a messenger needed new pads and helped himself.

I came out of work, unlocked the bike, hopped on, rode off, and came to a red light a few blocks later. I grabbed the front brake and nothing happened. After a split second of brain-freezing terror, I tried the rear brake. It worked. I guess the thief only needed one set of pads.
Old 04-07-08, 08:55 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
Probably not a homeless from where the rack was. Very public place full of tourists.
There were two mtbs locked to the rack opposite my bike that were gone when I returned. They'd be my main suspect, but who knows.
No damage this time, but I'll be checking the qr's in the future.
Maybe someone's wheel just hooked your QR lever when they pulled their bike out out the rack.
Old 04-07-08, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser
I had someone steal the brake pads from my front brake once. I don't think it was a prank, though. I lock my bike up outside my office building most days, right near the messenger center for the building. I suspect a messenger needed new pads and helped himself.

I came out of work, unlocked the bike, hopped on, rode off, and came to a red light a few blocks later. I grabbed the front brake and nothing happened. After a split second of brain-freezing terror, I tried the rear brake. It worked. I guess the thief only needed one set of pads.

What an arse. Could have at least grabbed the pads from the least used brake. That fool needs to be bludgeoned repeatedly.
Old 04-07-08, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
People can really put you at risk with jive moves like this. I used to have a 1934 Ford Sedan hot rod with Zenith wire wheels. Zeniths have a "knock-off" hub insttead of lug nuts. Well, someone wanted that hub nut and tried, but failed to get it off. On the way home, it came off while we were doing about 70 mph. Major freak out, to say the least, and both my kids were in the back seat. Very luckily, the damage was minimal and no one was hurt. Soon after that, I gave up on hot rods as a hobby. bk
Old 04-07-08, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Maybe someone's wheel just hooked your QR lever when they pulled their bike out out the rack.
No, that would be finding a simple logical explanation assigning culpable blame to no one. We can't have that.
Old 04-07-08, 11:54 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I would suspect somebody fiddling with it out of curiosity as being equally likely.
Old 04-07-08, 12:18 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Originally Posted by Paul L.
No, that would be finding a simple logical explanation assigning culpable blame to no one. We can't have that.
If your quick release is closed properly that would be nearly impossible.... The quick release should be closed so that the lever is very close to the fork so nothing can accidentally catch on the lever and flip it open. (Mountain bikers have to worry about this more than roadies, usually!)
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 04-07-08, 12:24 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
It might have been a thief who got scared off, before he could get the wheel loose. Either way, it's pretty low.
Old 04-07-08, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
If your quick release is closed properly that would be nearly impossible.... The quick release should be closed so that the lever is very close to the fork so nothing can accidentally catch on the lever and flip it open. (Mountain bikers have to worry about this more than roadies, usually!)
I have seen stranger things happen. I have also seen people engage quick releases in all sorts of angles. The people I have seen who are religious about tightening it close to the fork facing back are the minority I am afraid.
Old 04-07-08, 12:53 PM
Calamari to go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeh. If it happened while I was in the museum it couldn't have been hooked accidentally. The bike that I parked next to was still there, the bikes that were gone had been on the opposite side of the rack from me.

Short of someone coming up to me and saying they did it, or saying they saw who did it (or bragging on line about it) I'll never know for certain.
Old 04-07-08, 02:14 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've had someone stab my rear tire while I was at work. Everything was fine when I locked my bicycle up ... 8 hours later there was a hole in the tire.
Old 04-07-08, 02:18 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
In any case... if you use QR's you should always check them before each ride.

It only takes a few seconds.
Old 04-07-08, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Same with brakes - I'm surprised that anyone can have a serious accident by someone messing with their brakes. It must be habit from years of dodgy brakes, but I always give mine a couple of squeezes as I'm starting up. It's reassuring.

Steve
Old 04-07-08, 10:02 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
When I was learning to drive my step father, who was a professional driver and master mechanic told me to always do a walk around and a look under the vehicle before driving to make sure nothing was amiss.

It saved me a lot of grief as little things that could have become much worse were caught early and I do the same with my bikes.

I have folks come into our shop with bikes that are extremely maladjusted with poorly set bearings and cannot believe they don't notice these things but then, I might be like the princess and the pea.
Old 04-08-08, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
Same with brakes - I'm surprised that anyone can have a serious accident by someone messing with their brakes. It must be habit from years of dodgy brakes, but I always give mine a couple of squeezes as I'm starting up. It's reassuring.

Steve
The routine for me now (and for quite some time) is to apply the brakes before I get aboard. It helps steady the bike and ensures I have full braking power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.