Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Help with Bike Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with Bike Dilemma

I am pretty new to cycling and got my first bike in February. I refused to listen to the salesperson and bought a hybrid (Trek 7.2fx wsd) instead of a road bike. In the past month, I've done a lot of riding and really love the bike, however I want to start doing longer rides. I'm signed up to do a 33 mile charity ride at the end of the month and would like to do a century before the end of the summer. Here's my problem...should I go ahead and admit that I was wrong and buy a road bike (I've looked at the Trek 1.2 and 2.1 wsd) or will I be able to do what I want to do with the hybrid that I have? Does anyone else do long distance rides with Hybrids? Thanks!
Old 04-06-08, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone else do long distance rides with Hybrids? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I started out on a Hybrid and I found that 30-35 miles was about it and then my shoulders and neck started to ache. I bought a Trek 520 and used it as a road bike and I've never had sore body parts since.
Old 04-06-08, 11:39 PM

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35 miles should be fine on a hybrid as long as it fits you. I've done longer then that with a mountain bike on forest service roads. I think you should keep riding what you've got until you hit a wall with it, or unless you've just got extra money to spend on a new toy.
Old 04-07-08, 04:01 AM
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride an 18 yr old hybrid and have done up to 270 kms on it in one day. Would have done a double century that day but for a really sore knee. My regular training rides alone are 54 kms or equivalent to your 33 miles. No worries...just get out there!
Old 04-07-08, 07:22 AM

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crisi13
Does anyone else do long distance rides with Hybrids? Thanks!
I did the 2002 New York - Boston AIDSRide (320 miles, 4 days -- like 80, 100, 70, 70) and two MS 150s (each with back-to-back century days) on a 1999 Trek 730 (predecessor to the Trek 7.x series). No discomfort to speak of, and all I wore for bike-specific clothing was a $30 pair of cycling shorts and some gel gloves.

so long as the bike fits properly and you don't care about 'winning' your charity rides you'll be fine (remember, it's a ride not a race). If, however, you have a streak of competitiveness in your head, you will find yourself envying every roadie who passes you; and you might eventually want to buy a road bike. By the same token, though, while you're on your hybrid, every bonked roadie that you overtake on a climb is its own small victory.
Old 04-07-08, 10:01 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Last summer I was doing all my riding on a rigid MTB with street slicks, and I topped out around 60 miles before my shoulders and neck would get sore. For any ride up to ~45 miles I was fine, though. If you're comfortable on the hybrid, then ride it (as someone else suggested) until you 'hit a wall' with it. When you've maxed out the distance-to-comfort potential of the hybrid, then start looking at a new bike. I know people who routinely ride centuries and double metrics on hybrids and street-converted rigid mountain bikes.
Old 04-07-08, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest issue with that Trek in terms of riding long distances will likely be the flat bars. If you start getting pain in your wrists/arms/neck as you increase distances, you might add bar-ends to get another hand position.

I don't have any experience with suspension seat-posts, but it's possible you might want to swap that out for a regular one too.

If you enjoy the bike, I'd say there's no rush to get a road bike. The more you ride it, the more you'll figure out what you like about it and what you don't, and that will help inform your next purchase.
Old 04-07-08, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've done a few 50 and many 30+ mile rides on a $300 Schwinn hybrid that I used to use for commuting. I prefer it to my road bike in heavy rain. Down side is I go about 2 mph slower, but comfort-wise it's ok and the lower mountain gearing makes up for the higher weight when climbing.
Old 04-07-08, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I went by my LBS today to look around. The sales guy said he knew that I'd be back!! I guess I should have listened a little better the first time. After looking at the bikes he had, I really love the Lemond Tourmalet. He's getting one in my size brought over from another store for me to try out. If I decide to do it, they're going to give me back what I paid for my Hybrid since I haven't had it very long. I'm still not sure...but if they really will give me back what I paid...I'll probably go for it! Any one have a Tourmalet? How does it compare to the Trek 2.1? Thanks again for the help!!
Old 04-07-08, 05:21 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. I went by my LBS today to look around. The sales guy said he knew that I'd be back!! I guess I should have listened a little better the first time. After looking at the bikes he had, I really love the Lemond Tourmalet. He's getting one in my size brought over from another store for me to try out. If I decide to do it, they're going to give me back what I paid for my Hybrid since I haven't had it very long. I'm still not sure...but if they really will give me back what I paid...I'll probably go for it! Any one have a Tourmalet? How does it compare to the Trek 2.1? Thanks again for the help!!
Tourmalet is a solid road bike, a friend rides one (for centuries & doubles) and loves it!

my race videos
Old 04-07-08, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The Tourmalet is a superior to bike to the Trek 7.2fx wsd in almost every sense of the word, and if you can spend the money, do it. Hybrids, IMO, are good for trips to the market and commuting, and little more. The LeMond is far better suited to "sport" riding.
Old 04-09-08, 01:40 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I also ride an 04 Tourmalet frame with custom build up. I don't know if I'd be too thrilled with the wheels and Bontrager parts on recent stock versions. Bottom bracket area is flexy, but it rides nicely and to me is proof that aluminum=harsh is an over-generalization. Good century bike. I doubt it'd be good for racing but I don't race so just speculating. I can recommend it, but make sure slightly elongated tube does not cause fit problems for you.
Old 04-10-08, 11:52 PM

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Hillbrick Pista, Avanti Sprint, Commencal Combi Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, if they're happy to do that then I'd say go for the road bike! I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 04-11-08, 09:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going in this afternoon to try out the Tourmalet. They also have a 07 Trek 5.2 S.P.A in my size that they want to get rid of. It's WAY more than I want to spend, but I talked to the manager yesterday and he said he would be willing to make me a great deal on it. I just don't think he'll be able to sweeten the deal enough for me to spend sooooo much money. It's already marked down to $2499...and that's about $1000 more than I want to spend. I'll post pics of what I decide on!!! Thanks again for all of the advice!
Old 04-11-08, 09:25 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm going in this afternoon to try out the Tourmalet. They also have a 07 Trek 5.2 S.P.A in my size that they want to get rid of. It's WAY more than I want to spend, but I talked to the manager yesterday and he said he would be willing to make me a great deal on it. I just don't think he'll be able to sweeten the deal enough for me to spend sooooo much money. It's already marked down to $2499...and that's about $1000 more than I want to spend. I'll post pics of what I decide on!!! Thanks again for all of the advice!
If you're not planning to race, get the Tourmalet. Maybe spend far less than the $1200 or so you'll save to upgrade the wheels after a season.
Old 04-11-08, 07:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick Update...I am now the VERY proud owner of a 2008 Lemond Tourmalet with Speedplay fast action pedals and a Cateye V3 cyclecomputer. I went for a 13 mile ride tonight...almost triple the mileage I've put on my Hybrid in the last month and a half! It was sooooo different. I am in love with this bike!!!!
Old 04-12-08, 04:35 AM
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems that you've already made your mind up since over half a dozen of us had already said you could do the distances you said you wanted to do on a hybrid.
Old 04-12-08, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IronMac
It seems that you've already made your mind up since over half a dozen of us had already said you could do the distances you said you wanted to do on a hybrid.

Yeah, when they offered me my money back on the hybrid, I couldn't refuse. I'm already soooo glad that I made the switch. I've ridden 21 miles since I got home last night and am planning on another 15 tomorrow. I LOVE my new bike!! I realize that I could have done it on the Hybrid, but the road bike is sooooo awesome!! Thanks again for everyone's advice. I had fully planned on just keeping the hybrid after reading your posts until they offered the trade. That made it financially possible for me to do the switch. Thanks again!