Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

unexplained tiredness

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

unexplained tiredness

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 04:24 PM
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unexplained tiredness

for the last month, ive been getting more and more tired throughout the day. i am mostly tired in the afternoon. i find myself wanting to take more and more naps to keep myself going. i dont drink coffee as much as i used to b/c it just gives me horrible runny stomaches. i dont think its *depression* because its general tiredness, the type that i cant keep my eyes open. i dont know if its the weather, but im going to take myself to the doctors sometime this week and see if i can get some bloodwork done on myself to see whats up.
Old 11-10-03, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm sure you've checked for anemia - have you checked for hypothyroid condition? it's extremely common and can have that effect.
Old 11-10-03, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keithnordstrom
i'm sure you've checked for anemia - have you checked for hypothyroid condition? it's extremely common and can have that effect.
checked myself of anemia? hrmm...no. is that something i should be worried about?
Old 11-10-03, 06:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by killerasp
checked myself of anemia? hrmm...no. is that something i should be worried about?
okay...i found a website with some good information on it. god...i wonder if. i guess ill find out soon.
Old 11-10-03, 07:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you eat meat, you should be fine. If not, start eating meat now!

I would have a good look at your diet and your sleep patterns. Excess sugar will play havoc with your blood glucose levels

Sleep is as important as training and eating when it comes down to it. Cover the basics:

Dark room
No noise
No interruptions
7.5 hours or 9 hours
Let your body wake up, do not wake up to an alarm
Turn the tv off!

If you are in sleep deficit it may take a week or so to catch up. Take a week off, get some good quality sleep each night.
Old 11-10-03, 10:03 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your training schedule looking like? Is it possible that you're overtrained?
Old 11-10-03, 10:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sm266
What's your training schedule looking like? Is it possible that you're overtrained?
When overtrained, symptoms tend more towards inability to sleep rather than downright drowsiness. Although, every person is slightly different.
Old 11-10-03, 10:12 PM
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Croak

Give me a break!! If you don't eat meat, just make sure to get some vitamin b12, and eat some raw vegetables. Don't listen to 1950's propaganda.
Old 11-10-03, 10:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gonesh9

Give me a break!! If you don't eat meat, just make sure to get some vitamin b12, and eat some raw vegetables. Don't listen to 1950's propaganda.
haha, I knew I would rub a few the wrong way with that one.

I personally believe that red meat should be a staple of any athlete (beliefs aside), it has a lot more than just b12. Then again, each body is different.

And it tastes good.
Old 11-10-03, 10:27 PM
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
haha, I knew I would rub a few the wrong way with that one.

I personally believe that red meat should be a staple of any athlete (beliefs aside), it has a lot more than just b12. Then again, each body is different.

And it tastes good.
No hard feelings, you are right on that each body is different. I just get a kick out of people who say you have to eat meat if you're an athlete. I'm living proof that's not true. There is a long list of veg world class athletes that would also get a kick out of that way of thinking....

I think raw vegetables taste better
Old 11-10-03, 11:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sm266
Well, i was about to start a new training schedule this week but my workload is crazy right now.

For the last month, i would hit the trails for some XC action. I would say about 5-10 miles round trip. I would do this 2-3x a week. Those days i dont go riding, i would just rest. The rides would tire me out for the rest of the day so i dont go riding as much as i want to if i want to get my hw done. Mostly its muscle soreness from the rides but my energy levels seem normal the next day.
Old 11-10-03, 11:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would have a good look at your diet and your sleep patterns. Excess sugar will play havoc with your blood glucose levels

Sleep is as important as training and eating when it comes down to it. Cover the basics:

Dark room
No noise
No interruptions
7.5 hours or 9 hours
Let your body wake up, do not wake up to an alarm
Turn the tv off!

If you are in sleep deficit it may take a week or so to catch up. Take a week off, get some good quality sleep each night.
i couldnt live without meat. but i eat mostly chicken when it comes to "meat". i eat red meats once awhile in the form of steaks when i feel like breaking out the good stuff.
Old 11-10-03, 11:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i couldnt live without meat. but i eat mostly chicken when it comes to "meat". i eat red meats once awhile in the form of steaks when i feel like breaking out the good stuff.
Right now is 1am and im feeling damn energetic. weird huh.
Old 11-11-03, 12:44 AM

Bikes: 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"For the last month, i would hit the trails for some XC action"

ummm ok i'm a newb.... what exactly is XC action??

please somebody help me then maybe i'll be less newb like LOL
Old 11-11-03, 12:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, i was about to start a new training schedule this week but my workload is crazy right now.

For the last month, i would hit the trails for some XC action. I would say about 5-10 miles round trip. I would do this 2-3x a week. Those days i dont go riding, i would just rest. The rides would tire me out for the rest of the day so i dont go riding as much as i want to if i want to get my hw done. Mostly its muscle soreness from the rides but my energy levels seem normal the next day.
Muscle soreness (if you have been cycling for a while) is a direct indication that you are not eating enough carbs and protein post-ride. Basically, you are depleting you reserves and not stocking them up creating what is known as DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness syndrome).

After you ride, have a good quality sports drink and then consume a high quality protein source with some carbs about 1 hour post ride (pasta with some meat in it etc). Try not to use milk products in this time window and avoid fat like the plague (at this point!).

Try getting your diet in check and catch up on some sleep. If you are awake at 1am and feeling energetic it means your circadian rhythms are upset, regular sleep will help this.
Old 11-11-03, 04:55 AM
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Muscle soreness (if you have been cycling for a while) is a direct indication that you are not eating enough carbs and protein post-ride.
For real? Or is that just the case if the soreness doesn't go away w/in the expected time?

Killerasp,

About a decade or so ago, there was a lot of news coverage about something that was poorly understood, and called "yuppie flu." The symptoms were a lack of energy and drive, and typically the people who came down with were overachievers working long, stressful days. They probably have a better name for it now, and a better way of diagnosing it. If you're going to the doc, it's worth asking about it.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-03, 05:38 AM
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 98 Posts
everyone has been right on except for the anemia. Anemia is the least common cause of fatigue in young, college males and usually there is a significant drop in excercise capacity before chronic fatigue sets in .

The most common causes of chronic fatigue ,in order of occurance, for young, college age males who present to the doc:

1. Abnormal sleep cycles as Croak mentioned. That's why shift workers have chronic fatigue and it can take up to three weeks of normal sleep/wake schedule to normalize.

2. Excessive use of alcohol or stimulants (ie: caffeine,no doz} They disrupt deep or delta sleep cycles even when you do have a normal sleep wake schedule. (This is the the stage of sleep that makes you feel refreshed the next day .)

3.Chronic physical fatigue is the number one manifestation of clinical depression in young males and many do not have the "down mood" as a prominant feature.

4. Rarely, hypothyroidism.

5. rarely, addison's disease.

6. anemia

https://www.pnhp.org/
Old 11-11-03, 06:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for the last month, ive been getting more and more tired throughout the day. i am mostly tired in the afternoon. i find myself wanting to take more and more naps to keep myself going. i dont drink coffee as much as i used to b/c it just gives me horrible runny stomaches. i dont think its *depression* because its general tiredness, the type that i cant keep my eyes open. i dont know if its the weather, but im going to take myself to the doctors sometime this week and see if i can get some bloodwork done on myself to see whats up.
Do you take daily meds for anything that were recently changed? Some meds for high blood pressure and heart problems, like ACE inhibitors, slow the heart, with a side effect of causing tiredness.

Have you recently changed jobs or work areas? If you are in an area that does not get direct sunlight and is illuminated by flourescent instead of incadescent lights, it has been known to cause mental tiredness and depression.

Neither me nor my doctor have been able to find a solution to the first. It involves changing drugs and finding a combination that works without the ACE inhibitors. For the second, I take a break and walk outside into the sunshine, unless there is no sunshine And after work, I hop on my bike and away goes the tiredness.

As to hypo and hyper thyroid conditions, they can be aperiodic. My wife went through that last year. First, she was extremely tired all the time and it was hypothyroid. The Dr decided to monitor and not medicate, and her thyroid went into hyper activity for a short time, then settled down where it belonged.

Looking at her history, she has had periods like this going back ten years or more. The Drs are at a loss to explain why and advised to come in whenever it happens to see if it is worsening.
Old 11-12-03, 11:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just to update everyone....i havent gone to the doctors this week. i havent had any free time to go see the doctors at my university. hopefully i can make it on friday.
Old 11-12-03, 04:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice would be to don a pair of hot pink full length cycling tights add a pair of high top elf booties and prance around singing Ozzie Osbourne tunes j/k.Seriously killer you were having these same issues two or three months ago when last I checked the board.You gotta believe cb's #1-3 ae all likely contributing causes probably 3 aided and abetted by 2 both leading to 1 as well.I find when I start getting down a focus on proper diet/exercise/rest helps me put in perspective and manage stresses in other areas of life.It makes me realize the best things in life are free and most of our stresses are self imposed and unnecessary
Old 11-20-03, 10:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekRider
Do you take daily meds for anything that were recently changed? Some meds for high blood pressure and heart problems, like ACE inhibitors, slow the heart, with a side effect of causing tiredness.

Have you recently changed jobs or work areas? If you are in an area that does not get direct sunlight and is illuminated by flourescent instead of incadescent lights, it has been known to cause mental tiredness and depression.

Neither me nor my doctor have been able to find a solution to the first. It involves changing drugs and finding a combination that works without the ACE inhibitors. For the second, I take a break and walk outside into the sunshine, unless there is no sunshine And after work, I hop on my bike and away goes the tiredness.

As to hypo and hyper thyroid conditions, they can be aperiodic. My wife went through that last year. First, she was extremely tired all the time and it was hypothyroid. The Dr decided to monitor and not medicate, and her thyroid went into hyper activity for a short time, then settled down where it belonged.

Looking at her history, she has had periods like this going back ten years or more. The Drs are at a loss to explain why and advised to come in whenever it happens to see if it is worsening.
FYI, ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) inhibitors have no direct effect on heart rate. They work by blocking the conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II which is a more potent vasoconstrictor. Unless the dose was high enough to decrease cardiac output enough where the body would try compensate by increasing the heart rate. You are probably thinking of beta blockers (atenolol, propranolol, bisoprolol, metoprolol, etc) which have a direct effect on the heart rate.

The idea of any changes in meds though is a good thing to check out!!
Old 11-26-03, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Mitral valve prolapse? Aortic valve insufficiency?
Old 11-26-03, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Killer, you know what they say in Upstate NY????

You cant spell suck without SU....

J/K...I grew up in Binghamton....the best thing I ever did was......................leave.
Old 11-28-03, 08:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Killer, you know what they say in Upstate NY????

You cant spell suck without SU....

J/K...I grew up in Binghamton....the best thing I ever did was......................leave.
hahahhahahhaa. good one. i just go to syracuse university. im born and raised in NYC.