Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin GPSmap 60cx 60 series larger mount

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

Just got a new road bike, a Kona Zing:

https://www.konaworld.com/08_bikes.htm

It has a WIDE bar, the kind that has "flattened out" part near the stem, i guess it's supposed to be more comfortable on those long rides. Anyways, my Garmin GPSmap 60Cx mount won't fit. Garmin offers a larger mount (listed as fitting 25-32mm bar). As my bar in now "flat'ish" will it fit?

Here is a link to the bar mount:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Large-D.../dp/B00030F6OC

I know it's only $13, but I hate ordering sh*t with the hope it will fit; and it turns out to be a waste.

I searched the forum to no avial

Love the bike, only have had it a week with 100km ridden on it. Rode 50 km tonight in the dark and sub freezing temps, froze my toes!

tia
Old 04-21-08, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
It depends on the exact size and shape of the flat area of the bar. The Garmin clamp is basically a rigid, circular clamshell sort of thing, so there's not going to be a lot of tolerance to irregular shapes. But if the flat part is within the acceptable 25-32mm diameter (preferably closer to 25mm), you may be able to wrap enough filler material around it to get a secure fit.

You might take a look at one of those accessory bar extender products, like the Minoura Swing Grip, Performance ViewPoint OS Spacebar, and Topeak BarXtender. These generally have a flexible metal strap that you tighten around the handlebar, then a t-shaped piece extending out that you can attach your Garmin mount to. Many of these can also articulate in ways that allow them to be attached to the stem.
Old 04-21-08, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
You might take a look at one of those accessory bar extender products, like the Minoura Swing Grip, Performance ViewPoint OS Spacebar, and Topeak BarXtender.
Don't know about the others but the Minoura Swing bar is junk. Had mine disintegrate on me while riding. Looked like metal fatigue where the bar was attached to the arm. I had both my 60csx and Edge mounted on it. The wider mount for a motorcycle bar works on my 31.7 diameter bars.
Old 04-21-08, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Don't know about the others but the Minoura Swing bar is junk. Had mine disintegrate on me while riding. Looked like metal fatigue where the bar was attached to the arm. I had both my 60csx and Edge mounted on it. The wider mount for a motorcycle bar works on my 31.7 diameter bars.
Good point. My personal preference at the moment are the ones made by Nitto...very solid clamp, but not as flexible in terms of mounting positions and bar shape as the others, so probably wouldn't solve the OP's problem. Of the three I mentioned, I'd say the Topeak seems to be the best made, though the Nitto is far more solid. I've just started using one with my 76CSx

Another suggestion to the OP might be to take a look what companies like RAM are making for motorcycle GPS mounts to see if anything will work. I know they have various bar mounts that usually involve U-bolts. I have a RAM windshield mount for my 76CSx and it's built like a tank, but would probably look pretty ridiculous on a bike.
Old 04-22-08, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Nitto and I have a GPSMap 60csx and a photo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gadgeta...7602389546909/