Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Made my own Tray Bien...

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Made my own Tray Bien...

Old 04-12-08, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made my own Tray Bien...

I've always been a tinkerer at heart so I wanted to see if I could make my own. I had most of the stuff lying around and only had to buy a few things. Mainly the skewer mount. After thinking about what I wanted for a bit I put it together and this is what I ended up with. I wrapped it with orange tape for visibility.

It rides nice. Really can't even tell the bike is back there. Only strange part is getting off and on the bike as the balance is a bit off. Overall I'm pleased with it though.
Old 04-12-08, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! What are those aluminum elbows?

My idea at the moment is to use two quill to threadless adapters. I've got an old yakima tray laying around, the yakima bars about 1 1/8" (exactly? i only have yellow gas pipe that's a little small but works). The quill stem is 7/8". Should work if the adapters are long enough.

P.S. That big pannier looks great.

Last edited by Maxwell; 04-12-08 at 02:55 PM. Reason: PS
Old 04-12-08, 03:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

The elbows are just 90 degree conduit elbows. Much better choice than bending for me.

I made the bags out of cotton duck and waterproofed them with linseed oil. While I liked the xtracycle bags, there is no flap. I made these for less than 20 bucks for both of them. I added grommets to each end and laced them up makes it like 2 giant messenger bags that also open up on the ends. That way I could carry bigger things if I wanted to.
Old 04-12-08, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great, but you should post it in the "sticky homeuilt extracycle" or it is going to "disappear into history" in a few weeks from now. Soo cool if we could find them all in one place
Old 04-12-08, 04:56 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kudos, now you've got me thinking of building one instead of buying one...you bastid!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-12-08, 04:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Kudos, now you've got me thinking of building one instead of buying one...you bastid!
Hey, think of it as 30-40 bucks well spent.

If you do, I can pass on a few tips I learned along the way.
Old 04-12-08, 08:11 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work. Thanks for the info, pics and inspiration!
Old 04-13-08, 08:30 AM

Bikes: 06 specialized stumpjumper,90s hardrock e assist xtracycle, 90s rockhopper xtracycle, vintage windsor single speed. vintage raleigh competition single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work. I really like the conduit elbows, I bent some wideloaders with my bender and the rounded corners seemed like too much wasted space. Your bags are also cool, very similar in looks to the ones I made, but I like the option to open the ends if needed.
Old 04-13-08, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Noice!
Choice!
Some Other Clever Hipster Exclamation Of Approval!
Old 04-13-08, 09:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B + M
Nice work. I really like the conduit elbows, I bent some wideloaders with my bender and the rounded corners seemed like too much wasted space. Your bags are also cool, very similar in looks to the ones I made, but I like the option to open the ends if needed.

I agree about the wasted space on bent tubing. I went through the same. That's why I went with the elbows for the bike tray.

When I was making my own bags, I looked at your bags for ideas. A great design IMO, with a few tweaks to make it my own.
Old 04-13-08, 07:01 PM

Bikes: 2000 GT I-Drive Team MTB, 2005 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Schwinn World Voyager (frame only), 1975 Peugeot Mixte, 1980 Raleigh Sport, 1980(?) Peugeot, Giant ATX MTB, 2006 GT I-Drive MTB Frame, 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris H
Thanks.

The elbows are just 90 degree conduit elbows. Much better choice than bending for me.

I made the bags out of cotton duck and waterproofed them with linseed oil. While I liked the xtracycle bags, there is no flap. I made these for less than 20 bucks for both of them. I added grommets to each end and laced them up makes it like 2 giant messenger bags that also open up on the ends. That way I could carry bigger things if I wanted to.

Nice job Chris. I was wondering how you waterproofed the canvas with linseed oil? Did you warm it up first? Did you brush it on? Was it boiled linseed oil? Did you apply mutiple coats? Did you apply it to the inside and outside?

I'm thinking of making something like a large saddle bag from a canvas backpack from the army/navy store. I want something I can put a full day's worth of supplies in, as well as some art equipment.
Old 04-14-08, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RosyRambler
Nice job Chris. I was wondering how you waterproofed the canvas with linseed oil? Did you warm it up first? Did you brush it on? Was it boiled linseed oil? Did you apply mutiple coats? Did you apply it to the inside and outside?

I'm thinking of making something like a large saddle bag from a canvas backpack from the army/navy store. I want something I can put a full day's worth of supplies in, as well as some art equipment.
I waterproofed the canvas with boiled linseed oil. I only did one coat, that was applied with a brush.

I will tell you, do it outside. Boiled linseed oil, while initially sort of pleasant smelling, really gets on your nerves after a while. Then it just flat out stinks. It took about a week to 10 days to dry. There is still a bit of oily residue in the bottom parts of the bag. Nothing bad, I just wouldn't put a nice white shirt in the bag unprotected. I know it will completely dry at some point though.

Also, another word of caution. When the Linseed oil is drying it heats up a bit, which means it can be spontaneously combustible. Odds of that happening are pretty slim, but I'd rather let you know now than to hear that your house burned down next month. Another reason to do it outside. Just hang it on a clothes line and turn it once a day or so. Helps air it out to dry and keeps the oils from pooling on any one part of the fabric more than others.
Old 04-14-08, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 2000 GT I-Drive Team MTB, 2005 Specialized Sirrus, 1973 Schwinn World Voyager (frame only), 1975 Peugeot Mixte, 1980 Raleigh Sport, 1980(?) Peugeot, Giant ATX MTB, 2006 GT I-Drive MTB Frame, 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Chris!