Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Narrowly avoided my first wreck....with a bike cop...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-08, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was doing my longest ride this year, 3 laps of White Rock lake 9 mile track (a popular bike loop in Dallas) and as I come around a corner about 20 mph and about to overtake this lady DPD bike officer she veers abruptly from the far right of the trail to the left to pull over a skinny little roadie (who obviously just finished up a ride with his helmet off probably cruising back to his car), stopping perpendicular to traffic to give him a no helmet ticket/warning and I probably dodge her by 1-2 feet on the right...

Not sure what the verdict would've been had I T-boned her, but glad I missed...
Old 04-13-08, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess it would have some how been turned into your fault just because it was a cop.

On a side note; Dallas/Texas has a mandatory helmet law.. ..interesting, didn't know that but I don't live anywhere near Texas.
Old 04-13-08, 07:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, it is a Dallas City Ordinance, ALL AGES
Old 04-13-08, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimmyFarnsworth
I was doing my longest ride this year, 3 laps of White Rock lake 9 mile track (a popular bike loop in Dallas) and as I come around a corner about 20 mph and about to overtake this lady DPD bike officer she veers abruptly from the far right of the trail to the left to pull over a skinny little roadie (who obviously just finished up a ride with his helmet off probably cruising back to his car), stopping perpendicular to traffic to give him a no helmet ticket/warning and I probably dodge her by 1-2 feet on the right...

Not sure what the verdict would've been had I T-boned her, but glad I missed...
You have to wear a helmet while riding in Dallas?
Old 04-13-08, 07:51 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, a helmet is mandatory for all bicycle riders in Dallas, TX. On a motorcycle, you do not have to wear a helmet, go figure.
Old 04-13-08, 07:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
You have to wear a helmet while riding in Dallas?
yes, mandatory, all ages
Old 04-13-08, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering.. .when I was driving truck I always saw these stretched choppers cruising threw Texas with no helmets in your area; but they require a helmet for cyclists?. I would see a lot of nice bikes around exit 470 on I-20 near the Pilot truck stop when I would stay the night there. I liked Texas when I would drive threw it but now I see that logic is not one of there strong points (no offense against you personally). It seams odd that a motorcycle helmet optimal state would require them for cyclists. In CA helmets are required for under 18 years old or under; other then that do what you like.

-sorry to have hijacked your thread and turned it into a helmet thread.-

Last edited by Trucker_JDub; 04-13-08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-13-08, 08:22 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Texas also has a foot down law. You must put one foot down on the ground to stop at a stop sign or red light. Track standing isn't allowed. The Richardson PD informed stopped me for that last April, but the officer just wrote me a warning since I was from South Carolina and did make a complete stop for 4 seconds.
Old 04-13-08, 08:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trucker_JDub
I was wondering.. .when I was driving truck I always saw these stretched choppers cruising threw Texas with no helmets in your area; but they require a helmet for cyclists?. I would see a lot of nice bikes around exit 470 on I-20 near the Pilot truck stop when I would stay the night there. I liked Texas when I would drive threw it but now I see that logic is not one of there strong points (no offense against you personally). It seams odd that a motorcycle helmet optimal state would require them for cyclists. In CA helmets are required for under 18 years old or under; other then that do what you like.

-sorry to have hijacked your thread and turned it into a helmet thread.-

The helmet law for cyclists was created and enforced by the City of Dallas...
Motorcycle helmet law repeal was the result of a very organized and well funded grassroots campaign at the STATE level...
The two different agencies is probably the biggest difference..

Also, Dallas is the only ALL AGES law in Texas. Most everywhere else is Under 17/18.
Old 04-13-08, 09:10 AM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Wow.. must be the week of close passes.

My wife on her way to work almost got clipped by a cop as well.
Busy intersection, 4 way stop, my wife comes to a stop and proceeds across the intersection after she saw that it was clear and her time to move. All of a sudden cop car from the right comes flying, runs the stop sign and misses our brand new Prius by inches. No blue lights or anything of course.

I just told my wife she was lucky she didn't get hit, it wouldn't have been the cops fault of course.
The funny part is, my wife mentioned that the cops in the area of high prized condos and lake view apartments where she works during the day, are pretty much all very helpful and nice but the further south and cheaper the housing gets, the worse they become. It's almost like they are stationed and positioned depending on their attitude and how they uphold the law.
Old 04-14-08, 04:53 AM

Bikes: Got a pile of scrap, a specialized Rockhopper, a few BMX, a Fuji folder, and God knows what else 'cuz I can't remember.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My momma always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" so I will withhold my personal viewpoint on the police formed from many personal interactions through the years....

I am awfully glad you managed to avoid collision and am glad I can CHOOSE to don a helmet instead of having a bunch of nanny-state know-nothings DICTATING it.

Now to actually purchase one.....

RD