Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

$99 road bike. O_o;;

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

$99 road bike. O_o;;

Old 04-13-08, 11:13 AM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$99 road bike. O_o;;

Yah when I saw it I was shocked myself. Then again I know the parts on the bike are cheap but for those looking for something like a 5-7km (not round trip) ride this might fit the bill for cheap and light. The reviews on the site suggest's if you want it for parts to take the frame or ride it till it's done.

Not bad for the price.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396673781

Tho one comment that the shifters are 'grip shifts' was odd to me. Also it's a fixed 20" if I read the comments correctly on the sizing.
Old 04-13-08, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Surly 1x1 with Nexux 8 "Red line"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My flatmate has the exact same one.

It is definitely a not-so-bad bike when you fix it up.

The brakes are really the crappiest I've ever worked on, I had to change them for a cheap pair of Sora+KoolStop.

The tires were constantly popping up the rim whenever there was a normal amount of pressure, so he also had to change them. When you account there's no bike service at Canadian Tire, if you don't have someone who can mess with it, you'll have to have a bike shop do a tune-up on it cause it ships with all the wrong adjustments.

One nice thing is it has all the eyelets to mount a rack and fenders.
Old 04-13-08, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 1988 Fuji Cadenza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Store Only.

HEH.

I would pick one of these up today if given the chance =(
Old 04-13-08, 11:49 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
If you're only riding 5-7 km, you don't need a road bike, especially. Practically any bike can do that.
Old 04-13-08, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One thing of note is that Canadian Tire bikes are built in batches by inexperienced staff - they just throw them together. Don't take it for a ride without doing a full inspection/adjustment before hand.
Old 04-13-08, 01:42 PM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason whyI said 5-7km is because I know most Can.T bikes are put together by inexperienced staff. I don't think I'd be too trusting to go on a 20km ride and end up with stuck 15km out having to walk out of no where in the valley (it's right by the main highway but the Don Valley is a bike path that follows the highway here so you're not like truly isolated in the Amazon forest so to say) to get back to the main road and fork out bus fare for a bus ride home.

I was posting it more for the price of the bike for those on a budget. Add some fenders and a pannier and the bike is set for short range groceries or work or etc.
Old 04-13-08, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
Yah when I saw it I was shocked myself. Then again I know the parts on the bike are cheap but for those looking for something like a 5-7km (not round trip) ride this might fit the bill for cheap and light. The reviews on the site suggest's if you want it for parts to take the frame or ride it till it's done.

Not bad for the price.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396673781

Tho one comment that the shifters are 'grip shifts' was odd to me. Also it's a fixed 20" if I read the comments correctly on the sizing.
It is the exact bike marketed here in "walmart" as the GMC Denali.... just the decals have changed...