Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Eggbeaters and Shoes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Eggbeaters and Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 04:11 PM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eggbeaters and Shoes

I'm considering getting rid of my clipless pedals and getting some eggbeaters. I've read a lot of good reviews about them but I have one question before I make my switch. I'm unsure of what shoes go with these pedals? Can you guys help me out? Thnx.
Old 04-14-08, 04:13 PM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What pedal system do you use now? If it's SPD, your shoes will almost certainly work. Almost any shoe with a two-bolt cleat setup will work with Eggbeaters.
Old 04-14-08, 04:48 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if you're dead set on crankbros then these shoes. If not (I can only hope) then time atacs and these shoes.

Time, every time!
https://www.timesport.fr/us/home.htm
https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/manufacturers/3421/

Sidi SRS only!
https://www.sidisport.com/
https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/manufacturers/3490/

Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 04-14-08, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just about any shoe out there. Even though I am a road rider I wear MTB shoes as I like the ability to walk if I need to. I also have to occasionally change my own tires on muddy or dirty shoulders so eggbeaters are tops in my book. I did actually have to walk a half mile on Friday 110 miles into a hilly ride during the last bit of a rather long 11% grade (that climbed 2000 feet) as there just was no gas left to turn the pedals. I would not have wanted to walk that in road shoes and exhausted.
Old 04-14-08, 05:27 PM
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(eggbeaters are clipless....)
Old 04-14-08, 05:59 PM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use SHimano MT20 shoes with my crank bros candy c pedals. WHich are just eggbeaters with a small added platform. The shoes work well, walk well, and look somewhat normal.
Old 04-15-08, 05:56 AM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apclassic9
(eggbeaters are clipless....)
Sorry, I meant to say I want to switch my toe clips for clipless.
Old 04-15-08, 08:43 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Any shoe or cycling sandal that is SPD compatible (two hole pattern) will work with Eggbeaters.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-15-08, 08:47 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I like my Lake MX101 shoes, they are basically mountain shoes, but with smaller lugs than their other mountain shoes... and they look like normal shoes too. Depending on where you look for them, they may be listed as mountain shoes, but Lake calls them trekking or expedition shoes, or something like that.

I was a little limited in my possible selections due to wide feet, but I would have considered these shoes anyway.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-15-08, 09:58 AM

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Paco97
I'm considering getting rid of my clipless pedals and getting some eggbeaters. I've read a lot of good reviews about them but I have one question before I make my switch. I'm unsure of what shoes go with these pedals? Can you guys help me out? Thnx.
I'm a big fan of Crank Bros. pedals and have both regular eggbeaters and candy's for my mountain bike and Quattro's on my road bike. The same set of cleats works on all three. You can get a three-hole mounted cleat for use on dedicated road shoes (Look pattern).

You don't say what type of bike or riding you are doing. But, if you are not heading off road a lot and if you don't want stiff road shoes, then I would go with the Eggbeater Candy pedals. Regular eggbeaters will give you a hot spot after a while of riding on the road (for whatever reason I don't have that problem when mountain biking). Quattro's are nice but if you are using a mountain-style shoe you have to cut a lug or too on the instep side for the shoe to clear the larger bearing. Candies give you a platform for support which is also nice if you "miss" when first stepping on the pedal....you still have a solid platform to push on and then can reset the cleat on the next revolution.

There are other pedals that make a lot of people happy, but I think that the Crank Bros. are a nice, simple design that just works well.
Old 04-15-08, 10:56 AM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I ride a Giant Cypress Sport Comfort bike with 700c wheels. Most of my riding is on roads but I do like to take it to the C&O Canal and other crushed limestone bike trails. I was actually looking at the Candy and am thinking about getting mountain bike style shoes.

Originally Posted by telebianchi
I'm a big fan of Crank Bros. pedals and have both regular eggbeaters and candy's for my mountain bike and Quattro's on my road bike. The same set of cleats works on all three. You can get a three-hole mounted cleat for use on dedicated road shoes (Look pattern).

You don't say what type of bike or riding you are doing. But, if you are not heading off road a lot and if you don't want stiff road shoes, then I would go with the Eggbeater Candy pedals. Regular eggbeaters will give you a hot spot after a while of riding on the road (for whatever reason I don't have that problem when mountain biking). Quattro's are nice but if you are using a mountain-style shoe you have to cut a lug or too on the instep side for the shoe to clear the larger bearing. Candies give you a platform for support which is also nice if you "miss" when first stepping on the pedal....you still have a solid platform to push on and then can reset the cleat on the next revolution.

There are other pedals that make a lot of people happy, but I think that the Crank Bros. are a nice, simple design that just works well.
Old 04-16-08, 07:10 PM
Allegheny Mtns of WV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback, I just ordered a set of Eggbeater Candy pedals and Shimano MT-21 SHoes