Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A ride too far

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A ride too far

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 07:54 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A ride too far

As everyone in eastern Canada knows, this winter has been endless. There is still plenty of snow around, but the roads are clear and the daytime temperatures are, at last, consistently above freezing. I got out for my first ride Sunday afternoon, cloudy/bright, 5 C (which dictated shoe covers, leg warmers, cold weather jersey, fleece, cycling jacket, gloves, earband, helmet cover), 27 km. Head wind, cross wind out - tail wind, cross wind back.

Well the temps will be climbing in the next few days the the Sunday ride with the bike club I joined this year should be reasonably pleasant except for the fact that it is 75 km. And that's the short ride. The long ride is 90 km. Aaaargh. This year for me that would be a more reasonable distance in mid to late May. Oh well, I think I will stick with the slower group to start with. I've been cycling for about 30 years so I know I will be able to deal with it, but I also know how I will feel at the end of this first ride when I am not in shape.
I guess I will sleep well Sunday night.
Old 04-15-08, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Enjoy the ride. Maybe drive a car out about 45 km and let the pack catch up?
Old 04-16-08, 02:13 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Look---If you are not feeling fit enough by not being able to get training in the winter---How did the others train? Bet there will be a couple in the same position as you.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-16-08, 02:36 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure there will be others in the same boat, but there is also a hardcore group that has been training at the YMCA all winter. A co-worker of mine who also works at the Y says a bunch of them come in several times a week.
I think the key thing for this ride will be to keep a very moderate pace at the start.
Old 04-16-08, 02:54 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The first thought that comes to my mind when I see the phrase "a ride too far" is when you think you can make a certain distance, but then when you get around half-way out, you know that you don't have it in you on that day. But now you are stuck and have to suck it up to get in.

I cut a couple of rides short last year when I got about 1/4th of the way out and determined that I was going to have a very hard time covering 3X what I had already done.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-16-08, 09:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was out tonight for another 27 km ride at a pretty brisk pace. Felt good when I got home. I'll try to get out one more time before Sunday. I think I will be good for 60 km so maybe only the last 15 will be a misery.
Old 04-16-08, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, that's not a good feeling when you know it's going to be a tough day. Been there, done that.

You're a veteran cyclist - you'll handle it. Here's wishing you the best of luck.