Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bob Jackson Pricing? What's it worth?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 10:16 PM
WATERFORD22

Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found a 20 year old Bob Jackson Custom for sale in my size - Full Dura Ace same era. As some of you no I am trying to take the cure for no more bikes this year. I am awaiting pictures as we speak - I am told in excellent condition, which we all know is in the eye the beholder. It's a 531 frame and the price is $450 - is this a smoking deal or just a okay deal? Trying to figure out how to sell this to my spousal unit. Another idea is to keep this all in the BF family so send me a PM and I'll point someone in the right direction if I can't justify buying this to myself. I forgot to mention 54cm frame. Mw
Old 04-15-08, 10:29 PM

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think 450. is a fair deal (200. would be smokin) for the quality and period; if it fits you. Bob Jackson, though there's nothing wrong with them don't seem to get top dollar of some bikes which may not even be as "good".
Old 04-15-08, 10:36 PM
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
What model Dura Ace and how complete? $450 sounds in the ballpark. Wheels, condition etc would have a bearing. A nice set of wheels bult on a DA freehub *could* be worth $100 in themselves. Is it 7 or 8 speed? downtubes or brifters?

edit: Nevermind, just saw the ad. Looks like 6 speed in decent shape, decent wheels. Probably a fair price.
Old 04-15-08, 10:42 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
I think 450. is a fair deal (200. would be smokin) for the quality and period; if it fits you. Bob Jackson, though there's nothing wrong with them don't seem to get top dollar of some bikes which may not even be as "good".
Well some of that may be because when BJ really ramped up production (and it could be in the time-period of this bike in question) to satisfy his big push for sales in the USA through outlets like Nashbar...quality suffered. Some of them were still good, but some were really not so good and the BJ reputation tarnished. I'd wouldn't hesitate to spend $450 for a GOOD BJ with Dura-Ace, but wouldn't mess with one of the "iffy" frames.
Old 04-15-08, 10:59 PM
WATERFORD22

Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a email from the owner who is a lady rider - and it was a custom order for her. Sounds like very very "California" few miles. I'll have to ponder this a while because it's a good deal, but not a smokin deal. Under normal circumstances wouldn't hesitate, but I am currently under a ban because of the 4 classic bike purchases already this year.
Old 04-15-08, 11:00 PM
WATERFORD22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry - forgot to thank everyone for their input. mw
Old 04-16-08, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh used to have a Bob jackson. Was a 1968 model.