Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What bike should I buy?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What bike should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike should I buy?

Hi All,

I'd like to buy a touring bike but not sure which is best. I'll be riding the bike everyday to work (21 miles round trip) and on weekend rides (40 -60 miles hilly terrain). I also want to start doing some cycling holidays with the family which means carrying the all the weight.

I'm in the UK and have a budget of £1000 (thanks to the Ride to work scheme!).

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.
Old 04-16-08, 03:35 AM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi Mark
I am english too so I use

www.bikeradar.com
for Uk based people

there you will find like minded people who have used the Ride to Work

good luck mate
george
Old 04-16-08, 10:48 AM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Checking out the website about it touring bikes I am amazed at the possible bikes you have to choose from. Also, it is interesting their prices! Wow!

For the same price you could order a bike - full kit - from the likes of Bruce Gordon and get a custom bike from the US for less than your top models.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-16-08, 10:51 AM
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thorn Sherpa may be in your price range:

https://www.thorncycles.co.uk/sherpa.html

(recent review of Sherpa: https://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpd...erpaReview.pdf)

Dawes Galaxy also:

https://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?...ubdept_id=3401

Surly Long Haul Trucker, buy frame and components; here's link to UK distributors (at bottom):

https://www.surlybikes.com/dealers/pop_INTL.html

Here's a link that might be helpful:

https://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=169252
Old 04-16-08, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Off the top of my head:
Thorn
Hewitt
Dawes
Edinburgh Cycles
Cannondale
Trek
Kona

If you go for disc brakes ( a good option for your riding) check that they integrate with rack/mudguards.
Do you need an MTB chainset for low gears?
Are sti shifters OK (I use them and carry spare downtube friction lever on tour for emergencies )
Old 04-16-08, 12:43 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by markyjl
Hi All,

I'd like to buy a touring bike but not sure which is best. I'll be riding the bike everyday to work (21 miles round trip) and on weekend rides (40 -60 miles hilly terrain). I also want to start doing some cycling holidays with the family which means carrying the all the weight.

I'm in the UK and have a budget of £1000 (thanks to the Ride to work scheme!).

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.
For touring, I wholeheartedly recommend the Bike Friday New World Tourist. Great riding bike. Custom steel frame fitted to the rider. The small wheels are stronger than anything you can get -- at least, as far as I know -- for a full sized bike. Really easy to fit the bike into the trunk of a cab or rental car; in fact, I can fit two bikes into the rear trunk of our Toyota Echo. Often people fold the bike and bring it into their hotel. You can ride fully loaded with it folding racks and/or convert the suitcase into a trailer. And it fits into a flight legal suitcase -- I understand that this is more of an issue in the US than in Europe -- to avoid oversize charges.
Old 04-21-08, 02:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like I need to do a bit more test riding than I first thought.

Michael, I probably don't need MTB chainset as I'm not a bad climber (even loaded) and won't be off-road on the tourer much if at all (I have a MTB for that).

ftGordon, yep, the prices in the UK are pretty high, especially with the exchange rate at the moment, the problem is if I were to buy a US bike and bring it in I'd be hit by import tax!!

Thanks again,

Mark.
Old 04-21-08, 03:20 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you do get your bike, for touring and carrying the lion's share of the family stuff, I recommend a Bob Yak trailer. I use it to carry all our gear while touring, and also use it for bringing home crates of wine and beer.

Why not a Raleigh? That's what I have. A hybrid, and I love it. Does it all!
Old 04-21-08, 05:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Are sti shifters OK (I use them and carry spare downtube friction lever on tour for emergencies )
Sorry to hijack the thread, but could you elaborate? I had the same thought when I got my bike with STI's, but wasn't sure if it was practical. How hard would it be to mount? Cut the cable, mount the shifter, thread it through and tighten? It'd be pretty reassuring for a long trip.

Steve