Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is the Jamis Ventura Sport a good first commuting bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found one on craiglist. The seller says he only rode it for 15 miles and it's been hanging in his garage ever since early 2007. I have couple of questions:

1. How much would a nearly new 2007 Ventura Sport be worth? The seller is claiming that he paid $650 for it, and that MSRP was $799 when he bought it. MSRP on a 2008 Ventura Sport is currently $550.
2. The size is 51 cm. Would that probably work for me? I'm 5' 9". I intend to try it out, but how will I know if it fits well?
3. Will there still be any warranty if I'm the second owner?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-08, 05:23 AM

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a fan of Jamis. Both my wife and I ride Jamis Satellites which is the steel frame brother of the Ventura. IMHO Jamis give the best bang for the buck. I ride a 51 frame and I am 5'4" but my saddle is pretty low. This frame may be a little small for you.
I just did my first commute on my Satellite and had no problems. I don't know about the warranty, you would have to check with a LBS or Jamis.
Old 04-16-08, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually a warranty is for the original owner only.

The size of bike you take depends on your proportions. I'm 5'6", so a bit over average for a woman... and I'm proportioned so I take a small bike, like 50-52 cm. It's just as likely that someone my size would take a bigger frame - only way to tell is measure and test.

Bikes often go for more than MSRP, so he might not be lying about the price. On the other hand... I know Jamis bikes mostly went *up* in price from 2007 to 2008, usually by $50-100. So he's claiming he paid at least $100, maybe $200 over MSRP. That's a lot when the bike is pretty inexpensive.
Old 04-16-08, 06:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
Usually a warranty is for the original owner only.

The size of bike you take depends on your proportions. I'm 5'6", so a bit over average for a woman... and I'm proportioned so I take a small bike, like 50-52 cm. It's just as likely that someone my size would take a bigger frame - only way to tell is measure and test.

Bikes often go for more than MSRP, so he might not be lying about the price. On the other hand... I know Jamis bikes mostly went *up* in price from 2007 to 2008, usually by $50-100. So he's claiming he paid at least $100, maybe $200 over MSRP. That's a lot when the bike is pretty inexpensive.
Just to add to this example, I too am a 5'6" woman but ride a 54cm due to my proportions. You really should ask for some frame measurements and make sure that you would fit. If I had to guess I'd say the bike may be too small, but I have no idea what your body type is, so it's just a guess. Maybe going to a bike shop that sells Jamis and trying out the same sized frame. I don't know how cool this would be though since you would have no intention of buying the bike...
Old 04-16-08, 07:04 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Throwmeabone

1. How much would a nearly new 2007 Ventura Sport be worth? The seller is claiming that he paid $650 for it, and that MSRP was $799 when he bought it. MSRP on a 2008 Ventura Sport is currently $550.
2. The size is 51 cm. Would that probably work for me? I'm 5' 9". I intend to try it out, but how will I know if it fits well?
3. Will there still be any warranty if I'm the second owner?
We sell Jamis bikes at the shop I work at. Good entry level bike and would make a good commuter if you're using a messenger bag or backpack. If you want to use a rack and panniers you'd have to use a seatpost mounted rack - weight limitations.

2. 51 cm may be a little small for 5'9". I'm 6'0" and ride a 57 cm.

3. The Jamis warranty is with the original owner. The warranty covers the frame only. Components would be covered by the various manufacturers. Since it is a 2007 the warranty on most if not all components is expired.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-16-08, 08:19 AM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MSRP on that bike was $535. I verified on 2 sites. Makes sense since this year it's $550 so small increase. Also, I think 51 is too small for you. I have a 54 Jamis Quest and I am also 5-9.

You might stop by a Jamis dealer in your area and see if they have one to ride in a 53-54. It looks like the 07 is sold out in your size, but the Satellite is a step or 2 up:

https://bicyclebananas.com/mm5/mercha...y_Code=14-JABK

Only problem is that you would have to put it together. May not be worth it since you also have to pay tax (same state).
Old 04-21-08, 02:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the information. 51 does seem too small from you guys have said. The seller must have been lying about the price she paid, but besides that she didn't even know if it was the female specific version or not! She is a female herself, so it seems likely that it was.
Old 04-21-08, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it looks like a good bike for commuting on nothing but smooth pavement.

if you commute route has a lot of bad pavement you might want to go with a version that will accommodate wider tires, such as the Coda series

Jamis = solid bikes though, can't go wrong with them
Old 05-01-08, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2006 Jamis Ventura Elite that I love. I wouldn't use it for commuting though. My commuting bike is an 04 Jamis Aurora. The Aurora is much more durable, smoother on rough roads, plus has room for fenders and rack mounts. I would only commute my Ventura I was sure I had smooth dry roads all the way in.