Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

three weeks of SOHO commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I spent my tax return on a SOHO S because i wanted to start commuting to work. This was kind of foolish because I hadn't ridden a bike in a long time but the ride hasn't been hard and the gearing ends up being just fine.

However, I was very disappointed in the construction of the bike. The handlebars keep slipping, i've had to take them off and re-tighten them twice already. My rear rack is only 1/2 connected because the brakes have been placed in just such a way that you can't screw anything into the left side mount point. The bike already rattles too (and its not the rack). Also, because of my sillyness in buying a single speed I'm not inclined to ever make a long trip.

In short, I plan to keep bike commuting, but I want to unload this Soho asap to put towards getting something more practical and hopefully a little more sturdy.
Old 04-16-08, 10:28 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake
So I spent my tax return on a SOHO S because i wanted to start commuting to work. This was kind of foolish because I hadn't ridden a bike in a long time but the ride hasn't been hard and the gearing ends up being just fine.

However, I was very disappointed in the construction of the bike. The handlebars keep slipping, i've had to take them off and re-tighten them twice already. My rear rack is only 1/2 connected because the brakes have been placed in just such a way that you can't screw anything into the left side mount point. The bike already rattles too (and its not the rack). Also, because of my sillyness in buying a single speed I'm not inclined to ever make a long trip.

In short, I plan to keep bike commuting, but I want to unload this Soho asap to put towards getting something more practical and hopefully a little more sturdy.
OUCH! Sorry to hear of your probs w/t the bike. Takes the joy out of commuting. Yeah, going to something multi-speed will bring more versitility to your ride. Maybe investigate CL for some serviceable, but inexpensive ride. Plus, write to the maker and let them know of your dissatisfaction and maybe they'll offer to replace the bike. It's worth a shot. Anyway all the best. Hope everything works out.
Old 04-16-08, 10:29 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2009 Surly Steamroller, 19?? Fuji ?, 19?? Univega Viva Sport, Marin/Xtracycle combo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i understand where you're coming from, but only having one gear shouldn't limit your rides! if anything, only having one gear for all situations may make you a stronger rider, meaning you'd kick ass if you got a geared bike. i've never done a century or anything, but i've done 40 miles on my fixed, and it wasn't as bad as i was afraid it would be.

have you taken your bike into the shop and had them look at it? if something is broken, there may be a warranty to cover it. if not, a helpful employee with a wrench and a few minutes can tighten it all back up for you.
Old 04-16-08, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take it back to the shop you bought it from. They should be able to make it right.
Old 04-17-08, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the shop to make it right and install an internally geared hub. OR if it is a 20 inch model sell it to me cheap!
Old 04-21-08, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyBob
Get the shop to make it right and install an internally geared hub. OR if it is a 20 inch model sell it to me cheap!
I've looked at internally geared hubs and they all seem to be designed for specific rims/wheels or bike models. I've read up on them a little but still don't quite understand when they can and can't be installed.
Old 04-21-08, 09:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internally geared hubs *and* single speed setups work best on bikes with horizontal or semi-horizontal rear dropouts. So if a bike is already a single speed, it should work find with internal gears also.
Old 04-21-08, 09:59 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're interested in internal gears, I have a Nexus 8 speed that should be available shortly.
Old 04-22-08, 11:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still confused about what internal hubs work with what wheels without special modifications. I've researched the hubs and they talk about different mm spacings for different wheels.
Is there anywhere to get a run down on this?

Also, any advice on a mid-priced internal geared hub? and maybe an idea of the cost most shops would charge to install this on my bike?

and K6-III i'm interested if that hub is something that is readily added to my bike without having to pay my local shop major $$$ to install.
Old 04-22-08, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
two pictures to help you guys see what the deal is:

First, is the hub, or, as I look closer a lack there of. Its an super light wheel so I don't see any way that a internally geared hub could be added to this wheel. Maybe i'm missing something though.

Second is the problem I have installing the bike rack. The mount point and the brake line are so close that when the rack is mounted is prevents the brakes from working, they end up sticking and trying to do a slight adjustment ended up costing me hours of time to fix my little mistakes.
Old 04-22-08, 11:38 PM
That's disgusting!

Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR, Frankenbike Mtn. bike that I built to my own spec., 1987 Peugot PB 16 fixed gear conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess there`s no way to snake the rack under the brake cable is there? Or get a slightly longer cable then snake the rack arm under...hmmmm maybe not, on closer inspection it looks like there isn`t enough room either way.
What about a center pull brake? If the bike is brand new, maybe take it to the shop and see if they can make a straight trade for something that`ll work.
Old 04-23-08, 10:49 AM

Bikes: 2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the bike back to the LBS you got it from now and have them fix the problems you're having. There's no reason a new ss should leave the shop rattling.
Old 04-23-08, 02:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've sent you a private message.

Originally Posted by knotquiteawake
I am still confused about what internal hubs work with what wheels without special modifications. I've researched the hubs and they talk about different mm spacings for different wheels.
Is there anywhere to get a run down on this?

Also, any advice on a mid-priced internal geared hub? and maybe an idea of the cost most shops would charge to install this on my bike?

and K6-III i'm interested if that hub is something that is readily added to my bike without having to pay my local shop major $$$ to install.
Old 04-23-08, 03:08 PM

Bikes: 1999 KHS Aero Comp, Miyata Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as the rear rack goes, you could just get a long bolt that fits the hole that's tapped in the frame. Then get a plastic spacer to keep the arm from the rack from rubbing the rear brake cable housing. Your local hardware store should be able to fix you up for less than a buck.