Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Paddy Wagon weighed

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Paddy Wagon weighed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paddy Wagon weighed

I have seen a few enquirys here and there about the weight of Kona Paddy Wagon, but little answers. Well I just visited a shop that had an electric scale. The result? My 58cm -08 Paddy Wagon with tyres swapped to Schwalbe Stelvio Plus, bash ring taken off, about 10cm sawed off the seatpost, and headset spacers switched to carbon, has the weight of 10.45kg / 23.0lbs.
Old 04-18-08, 09:44 AM
Tell them I hate them

Bikes: Specialized Allez Epic '91, IRO Mark V Pro, Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL. The carbon spacers on a heavy-end-of-the-spectrum bike tickles me in my fleshy spots.
Old 04-18-08, 09:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really, REALLY tried to find that interesting.
Old 04-18-08, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peedtm
LOL. The carbon spacers on a heavy-end-of-the-spectrum bike tickles me in my fleshy spots.
Metal spacers are ugly and if you have spare carbon ones, why not put them on. But maybe where you come from, they are a rare commodity.
Old 04-18-08, 10:00 AM
Tell them I hate them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mehukatti
Metal spacers are ugly and if you have spare carbon ones, why not put them on. But maybe where you come from, they are a rare commodity.
If metal is ugly and you happen to have CF, what happens when you don't happen to have CF? You buy CF spacers for 4X the cost, and put them on your heavy ass bike is what happens. btw, all spacers and actually all threadless stem set ups are ugly.

The 2nd joke of all this is that you're reporting them as if you'd be telling us your paddy wagon was 23.0000000000000001 lbs with metal spacers.
Old 04-18-08, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I have seen a few enquirys here and there about the weight of Kona Paddy Wagon, but little answers. Well I just visited a shop that had an electric scale. The result? My 58cm -08 Paddy Wagon with tyres swapped to Schwalbe Stelvio Plus, bash ring taken off, about 10cm sawed off the seatpost, and headset spacers switched to carbon, has the weight of 10.45kg / 23.0lbs.
That does seem a bit hefty. My (60cm) IRO Rob Roy weights about that much, but it has heavy touring/commuter tires, fenders, front and rear brakes. The again I built it up with a lot of spare parts and ended up with several components that are lighter than average: a road front hub instead of a track hub, 28 spoke wheels and a few other light roadie components on there (saddle, stem, bars). Those probably counter the added weight of fenders and bombproof tires.

Heavy components add up and the only way to drop significant weight will involve numerous upgrades, including wheels, seatpost, stem, cranks, saddle. Its not worth it for a Paddy Wagon. The costs easily outweight the benefits of dropping a few pounds off.

My spacers are aluminum

Last edited by mihlbach; 04-18-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 10:17 AM
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also funny: i once saw someone using a tektro carbon brake lever on a schwinn varsity conversion.
as a bonus, he had what had to be like seven inch straight bars on it.

Last edited by sp00ki; 04-18-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 10:21 AM

Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
btw, all spacers and actually all threadless stem set ups are ugly.
What are you some kind of retro-elitist? No threadless setup is as ugly as this hideous monster.

And FWIW, theres nothing cleaner and better looking than an integrated (threadless) headset with a flipped down (horizontal) stem, even with 1-2cm of spacers. Threaded has external cups and big fugly nuts and lockwashers at the top. They look nice on a vintage bikes and steel lugged frames and look cheap and stupid on everything else.

Last edited by mihlbach; 04-18-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-18-08, 10:53 AM
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride threaded AND a spacer:

i like it (though as soon as i have time to grab a threading die, i'm going to cut it down the cm it's at.

8(
Old 04-18-08, 06:04 PM
gears are for queers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all threadless stem set ups are ugly.
LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-08, 11:51 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My fixed gear built on an old touring frame weights like 23.5 pounds. And it's a 61 cm.
Old 04-19-08, 02:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sp00ki
also funny: i once saw someone using a tektro carbon brake lever on a schwinn varsity conversion.
as a bonus, he had what had to be like seven inch straight bars on it.
Also funny: I've seen a Varsity conversion with a Cane Creek V-33 wheelset on it.
Old 04-19-08, 12:27 PM
Luchador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ pix or your lying
Old 04-19-08, 01:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SinVoz
^^^ pix or your lying
I've seen it around the University of Chicago campus. I'll take a picture when I see it next.
Old 04-19-08, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If metal is ugly and you happen to have CF, what happens when you don't happen to have CF? You buy CF spacers for 4X the cost, and put them on your heavy ass bike is what happens.

The 2nd joke of all this is that you're reporting them as if you'd be telling us your paddy wagon was 23.0000000000000001 lbs with metal spacers.
Who cares if a CF spacer costs $1 and a metal one 20 cents. Most riders have stacks of them in their toolboxes. Go back and flip some burgers..It's you who's the joke. I didn't say that a PW would be a light bike, I just quoted a weight, listed the modifications that I have done, and thought the information might be useful for someone. I know that the weight difference for different spacers is non-existent. If I wanted a light bike, I would have bought one.

I just don't understand, when someone makes an ordinary post, some random jackasses must reply with sub-par attempts at trying to be smart. Looking at your profile, I have been riding about 12 years longer than you.
Old 04-19-08, 09:12 PM
Tell them I hate them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares if a CF spacer costs $1 and a metal one 20 cents. Most riders have stacks of them in their toolboxes.
The point was that you mentioned your weight saving spacers as a modification worth mentioning.

Go back and flip some burgers.
I aspire to get to the grill. They keep me on the for fries now, but I'm gettin' quick.

.It's you who's the joke. I didn't say that a PW would be a light bike, I just quoted a weight, listed the modifications that I have done, and thought the information might be useful for someone. I know that the weight difference for different spacers is non-existent. If I wanted a light bike, I would have bought one.
If you were interested in providing useful info, a stock weight could have been nice, since most people won't be cutting weight with ultra light spacers.

I just don't understand, when someone makes an ordinary post, some random jackasses must reply with sub-par attempts at trying to be smart.
My original reply was in jest. In your reply I couldn't tell if you were trying to be funny or a jerk. Since there was nothing funny about it, I went with the latter and replied accordingly.

Looking at your profile, I have been riding about 12 years longer than you.
I could count kid years too, but why? Besides, who cares? Are we going to race? I don't think your twelve years on me is going to make you faster. It certainly hasn't made your posts any more enlightening.
Old 04-19-08, 11:58 PM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
My geared CX ride (Poprad) is under 23lbs. My fuji track comes in around 19. That sounds heavy.
Old 04-20-08, 12:16 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would question the accuracy of the scales at the shop where you went. 23 pounds is a lot for any fixed gear or singlespeed bike. My low-end Japanese frame bikes weigh around that much, as does my 60cm fixed gear touring bike.

My Surly Crosscheck with a Brooks saddle, 20 year old SR cranks, a hideously overbuilt rear wheel and lots of cheap, heavy components on it, comes in at 25-26 pounds.
Old 04-20-08, 12:19 AM
I_luv_hooters

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
once you add a brooks, deep vs, 2 high flange phils, 28mm vittoria tire on the back,... my bikes go easily over 20lbs.

Old 04-20-08, 12:24 AM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Paddy Wagon is not an especially light bike, but I'm still a fan of them. What's next? People *****ing about the weight of CETMA racks?
Old 04-20-08, 07:35 PM
mauve avenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If metal is ugly and you happen to have CF, what happens when you don't happen to have CF? You buy CF spacers for 4X the cost, and put them on your heavy ass bike is what happens. btw, all spacers and actually all threadless stem set ups are ugly.

+1