Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

bob trailer vs. nashbar trailer

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone have a comparison of both of these, i saw on the bob website that the bob can carry 70 lbs compared to the 45lbs of the nashbar...is this the only real difference. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-08, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh yeah, the nashbar trailer is on sale for $89 right now while the bob is $300, is it worth the difference?
Old 04-19-08, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't answer for the Nashbar trailer, but the BOB is a great little device. I've used one for several years on weeklong adventures. It works really well as long as you pack it right. Put the weightiest stuff as low in the pan as you can and as close to the trailer wheel. If you pack it high, the thing gets very squirrely down hill.
Old 04-19-08, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Cyclocross tourer, Redline Monofixie, Lemond Buenos Aires, surly KM, haro x3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think this has been discussed before, possibly with the same thread title. try the search feature.
Old 04-19-08, 01:04 PM
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you plan to haul heavy stuff, such as grocery shopping items, the Bob may be better, but for normal touring 45 pounds should be enough (you can put more in panniers if needed).

Nashbar has a friendly return policy, so you could buy the Nashbar trailer, inspect it, and return it if unsatisfied for the cost of return shipping (for a short time Nashbar has free shipping to customer if price over $50). Given the price and the current free shipping, I would give it go.

One other thought, comparing these two, is the availability of spare parts (e.g., skewers) in case that is needed.

Another option, for $200 (and with waterproof bag), is this trailer, which folds:

https://www.actionbent.com/twtrailer.html

Here are few links that may offer ideas (maybe send PM to those on this forum who own it, ask their feedback):

https://visforvoltage.org/forum/bicyc...-pedelecs/1884

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/284119-nashbar-trailer-any-tips.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/326138-car-free-camping.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-cycling/378187-cetma-rack-vs-nashbar-cargo-trailer.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car-free/231665-nashbar-cargo-trailer.html
Old 04-19-08, 01:14 PM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which B.O.B. , the Yak or the Ibex???

george
Old 04-19-08, 01:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the input, the threads really helped... i picked the nashbar because of the great price, $97 dollars with free shipping and an overweight charge was just too good to pass up
Old 04-20-08, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ericswen, you might be able to help others with this same question. After you've used your Nashbar for awhile, consider reporting back with a review. I have a Bob and I think it's a fine product. I saw a guy on the Northern Tier with the Nashbar last summer. It didn't look all that strong or well-engineered to me. I'm curious what you'll have to say after some experience.
Old 04-25-08, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This trailer rocks, especially considering what it costs. Here's how I use it...
Load trailer in apartment with 2 sleeping bags, 2 thermarests, a backpacking tent, food, clothes and a bottle of wine.
Strap it all down with a big piece of webbing.
Wheel trailer down stairs like a wheelbarrow.
Attach to Kona via their skewer.
Ride 30 miles down rail trail to State Park.
Drop trailer, build camp.
Ride trails at State Park.
Drink wine.

I got mine as a gift from my girlfriend... it may have been an excuse to get me to pull the heavy stuff, but she says it also equalizes us out nicely on the way out... now you're on the side yelling "hey, hey, wait up!"
It pulls nicely and I think the workmanship is totally fine. I will say I don't feel compelled to sit in the thing, as you'd probably shear the skewer before you'd bend the trailer.
The only down side I can think of on it is that you sacrifice your quick-releaseability on the rear wheel, so if you flat you might need a tool to get the wheel off.
I suppose panniers would be a more reasonable choice, but not on this bike, and you can drop the trailer when you get there.
It pulls smoothly, you'll definitely feel it on a hill, and the more you lean the more you'll know its there... so high speed banked turns, while steady, aren't something you're going to want to do one-handed.
The dropability of the trailer is not to be underestimated. We ride to the campsite with gear, but then want to ride back to the ranger station to do the paper work... then we cruise around the campground... then we get the trailer again to pickup some firewood... then we drop it again to go for a ride.

I dig it, and I haven't found any reason so far to pay 3x the price for a Bob.
Old 04-25-08, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd also like to note that my 50qt Coleman Cooler slides into the Nashbar trailer like they were made for each other.
Old 05-29-08, 06:21 AM

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am about to pull th trigger on the nashbar trailor. Does it come with the skewer? I ask beacuse gringacho1 says he used the Kona skewer? "Attach to Kona via their skewer." I will be using it with a Bacchetta Cafe but also possible a Trek 520. Will I need two different skewers to switch bikes? Can I get the proper Skewer(s) from Nashbar? I am guessing it depends on the width of the rear tire dropout? Any info appreciated!

Thanks
Coy Boy
Old 05-29-08, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You get two skewers with the nashbar trailer, I think they were two different sizes, but I didn't measure. The only problem I found with the trailer is that the fender sucks. They didn't send the right hardware for it, and it is a sloppy fit like it is not built for the trailer. Other than that the trailer is great, easy to set up and use. For $100 its worth it.
Old 05-29-08, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just got the order placed. I asked about an extra skewer and the lady did not think it comes with an extra. I didnt order an extra but did order the cargo net and a 26 x 1 - 1.4 presta tube. had to take the one my daughter picked up back and the LBS didnt have the right size. had to pay shipping but did get the 10% off which is the present special. Total with shipping ran $115:22. FWIW shipping the trailor increased shipping by about $5 ie would have been about $110 I'll post a quick impression once I get it and try it out. maybe a long term report after some extended use. Will look out for fender attachment. Thanks for the help and advice!
Old 05-29-08, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Kona Dr Dew, Lemond Le Alp, Mongoss NX-7, Trek T200 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It comes with 2 skewers (long and short). My fender worked with the hardware I received, but you would never have known it by looking at the directions. I finally tossed the directions and figured it out on my own. The fender does rattle at bit on bumps. The trailer pulls very nicely. On my first ride I forgot and pulled a tight U turn. I tracked like a champ. I've yet to try it with a lot of weight.
Old 06-07-08, 09:01 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just to follow up, got new nashbar touring trailor today. Loaded it with 14.2 lbs (garbage sack of clothes) for the 13 mile inagural ride...I did notice the hills more and my average speed droped about 2 mph (down from 12 mph to 10 mph). In fact I needed to hit the 28T on a few hills I normally make with the 42T. Handeling did not seem much differant. Speeds down hill were about the same but I did purposely keep my speeds to around 20 mph where I normally hit 25 to 30. For one, the instructions said 17 mph max speed. This of course made climbing harder. I hit 25 mph one time and it felt fine. Overall I am very pleased. I do wish it had a quick release but for a $90 trailor there had to be a few tradeoffs.

the trailor

bike and trailor

Now to do a short tour to break it in right