Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

fixed gear project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

fixed gear project

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
fixed gear project

Hi there,

I've always wanted to do a fixed gear with an older bike, I got these 2 candidates to build one, which of the 2 would be better to make it into a fixie, I choose these because I like the lugged look on the fixie. have no idea what they are except one says kia meridian and the other one is an older schwinn

here's some pics

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-08, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do whichever one fits you better.
Old 04-21-08, 06:14 PM

Bikes: Raleigh M60 Specialized Transition Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just built a fixie, you will have a blast on either, they both will work fine. Both bikes look made for comfort rather than for speed.
Old 04-21-08, 06:26 PM
road curmudgeon, FG rider

Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If they both fit equally well then use the one with a higher bottombracket clearance.
Pedal strikes are not fun. (Or you could use Speedplay pedals to gain more cornering lean)
Old 04-21-08, 06:59 PM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Converting to FG means solving the chainline problem. In short this usually means both trying to bring the bring the chainring in as tight as possible and then respacing/redishing the rear wheel as much as necessary to meet the chainline given by the chainring.

Therefore, pick the bike (or perhaps the crankset) that allows the most options for moving CL in. Chainrings that can be unbolted and shifted to the inside of the spider arms is good.

jim
Old 04-21-08, 07:25 PM
road curmudgeon, FG rider

Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgedwa
Converting to FG means solving the chainline problem. In short this usually means both trying to bring the bring the chainring in as tight as possible and then respacing/redishing the rear wheel as much as necessary to meet the chainline given by the chainring.

Therefore, pick the bike (or perhaps the crankset) that allows the most options for moving CL in. Chainrings that can be unbolted and shifted to the inside of the spider arms is good.

jim
You can often move the inner chainring closer to the bike's midline with spacers and longer crank bolts.
If you are lucky you may not even have to redish your rear wheel.
A straight chain line is a beautiful thing.
Be careful not to get the chain too tight as this binds the drivetrain and wears everthing out far too soon.
Old 04-21-08, 07:34 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
yeah, whichever fits better. I'd pick the Schwinn. You should be able to reuse the brakes, handlebars, stem, saddle, seatpost, front wheels. The Meridian has cottered cranks while the Schwinn has a triple crank. I'd get a road crank with 130mm BCD and use that for the fixie. Get a fixed/fixed hub from Harris Cyclery and have the local LBS rebuild your back wheel with it.

On the road crank, use a 46 or 48T chainring on the inside of the spider. This is to better match the width of the rear hub so your chainline is straight(or nearly so). You'll need some shorter bolts but you can find those at the LBS or Harris cyclery again.

I'd get new brake cables and housing. While you technically don't need a rear brake with a fixed gear bike, I still recommend one. A front one most definitely. Don't worry, you can still choose not to use the brakes and do mad skids but there will be a time when you will be dang glad you had those brakes.

Have fun!
Old 04-21-08, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
fixed gear project

pretty good suggestions, thanks!
Old 04-22-08, 03:39 AM
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
convert the schwinn, and sell the meridian.

the schwinn has slightly tighter geometry and better cranks, but you'll need new chain and pedals at a minimum.

keep all the old stuff and sell it when somene posts a request on eBay. you'd be surprised what some of the screws and so on sell for.