Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tough Call and Frame Size Question - Does 2cm Matter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 08:14 PM

Bikes: '08 Cannondale Synapse 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finally decided on purchasing a Cannondale Synapse 6. Upon going to my LBS tonight for one final ride, I noticed that they had an '07 Synapse Alloy 2 on sale (I hadn't noticed it before). So here are my choices.... (Some advertise differences from the spec list. You can view more at the links)

'08 Cannondale Synapse 6 $1179
58cm
Rear Cogs - Tiagra components (9 Speed)
Sram PG-950, 12-26
Breakset - Tiagra
Handlebar - Control Tech Compact Is this some 3rd Party Handlebar?
Seat doesnt matter, going to swap out for Brooks or Alias anyways.
Chrome/Red/Black
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/c...el-8RAS6T.html

'07 Synapse Alloy 2 $1169
56cm
105 Components (10 Speed)
Rear Cogs - Shimano 105, 12-25
Handle Bar - Cannondale C3, 31.8 mm Name Brand Handlebar as compared to above
Breakset - Cannondale C3
Midnight Blue
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...el-7RAS2T.html

To answer your first question... Yes I rode them both. They felt VERY similar. I could hardly tell the difference between the two. (Probably because I am a noob, that doesn't know good vs better, I admit)

So here is my problem/questions...

1. The store tells me that I measure for a 58cm bike. That 58 is my "true" measurement. BUT... (they say) every rider can fit into 2 different size bikes. That while my IDEAL measurement may be a 58cm, I would also fit just fine into a 56. The guy helping me out (Shout-out to Jeromy at High Gear Cyclery in Stirling, NJ) said that he could tweak the 56 to fit me just fine. I guess I am stubborn, I am afraid that since I have been told that I am a 58, I am nervous to go with a 56. Is that silly??

Now assuming that the difference of 2 cm is no big deal, I am still left with which to go with. Heres the up and downs...

Benefits of going with the '08
- My "true" size
- This year's model
- Aesthetically I MUCH prefer the color (not that I don't like the blue, its fine I guess)

Benefit of going with the '07...
- $10 Less (whoopie)
- 105 Components (A big variable)
- More Cannondale made parts. ie breaks, handlebar...

What would you do in this situation. Is the answer obvious??

Please, I value your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-08, 08:22 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Test ride the 56 with a longer stem and see if it works for you.
Old 04-21-08, 08:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People usually do have two frame sizes that they can fit in. How well they fit in the frame depends on the difference in geometry and the persons measurements. Without knowing any of the specs on those two bikes (how high the seatpost is, length of stem), chances are you can fit in the 56cm by getting a longer stem (around 110 or 120), and the seat post should go up high enough for you. And yes, the 07 bike is a much better bike with the 105 gruppo.
Old 04-21-08, 08:27 PM
one good leg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, the TT is off by 1.5cm and the HT height is off by 2cm. 2 cm seems a lot to me. And both bikes felt ok? if yes, go with the better components.

Someone mentioned longer stem.
Old 04-21-08, 08:27 PM
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bottom line is which bike are you going to ride. If you like the look and that it's the "right" size, you should go with the Synapse because you won't be second guessing your decision every time you saddle up.

Tiagra vs 105 is another debate. How much this matters is really subjective for the average rider. How many miles do you ride on per week?
Old 04-21-08, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justin70
How many miles do you ride on per week?
I ride about 2 to 3x a week on hilly roads.

1 x 30-40 miles.
1 to 2x 10-20 miles.

I have to say I noticed a SLIGHT difference in the gear shifters. It seemed the 105 was a cleaner shift. The guy at the shop told me not to rely on that since the '07 had been ridden quite a bit in test rides while the Synapse 6 with Tiagra was brand new and would shift cleaner when broken in.
Old 04-21-08, 09:21 PM
ROAD enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$10 is not a big deal to get a bike you like better, heck even $30

If the 105 is a big factor for you, then narrow down your list to only 105 bikes. Don't settle for less, you're buying a new bike, you should start with what you want?

The only thing left is the size. It sounds like you can fit either 56 or 58 if you wanted to. Now the question is why would you want to? Why people go higher? ==> longer head tube, longer wheelbase ==> comfort higher priority
Why people go lower? ==> Priority is racing? want lower drop position, shorter wheelbase, greater steering response, possibly stiffer frame?

Color and Decor? Being sexy is important?
Old 04-21-08, 09:59 PM
superArti

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the biggest debate is color versus components, go with the 105... I bought (what I think) is an ugly bike but it works. And you know what? someone will always have one prettier than yours, anyway.
Old 04-21-08, 10:44 PM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artifice
If the biggest debate is color versus components, go with the 105... I bought (what I think) is an ugly bike but it works. And you know what? someone will always have one prettier than yours, anyway.
i dont think mine is fugly but it is plain...i shoose the components over looks too...much happier when my bike works at the end of the day versus it being broken down and looking pretty
Old 04-22-08, 07:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP Here..

A few questions added in light of responses...

1. From what I gather in the above responses, it is indeed true that although 58cm is "ideal" for me, I will fit just fine in the 56 (assuming I adjust the seat and possibly add a longer stem) Just want to confirm, is this true?

2. I know the Tiagra vs. 105 has been re-hashed over and over in other threads (I have read them all, I think) Lets be honest, will I really notice that much of a difference between the 2??
- When I test rode both I could feel a slightly "cleaner" shift on the 105. The guy at the store told me not to really let that be a deciding factor because, the bike with the 105's had been test ridden a number of times allowing the shifters to "break in" while the Tiagra bike was brand new. Is there any truth to this??

I have to say, I really am torn here. I LOVE the look of the '08, but I do not won't to choose a bike solely on aesthetics.
Old 04-22-08, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by samersereau
- My "true" size
- This year's model
- Aesthetically I MUCH prefer the color (not that I don't like the blue, its fine I guess)

- $10 Less (whoopie)

Thanks in advance.
Go with the 08. It is a newer bike in your size and you prefer the looks. The 07 is $10 less which doesnt matter. The components can be changed very easily down the line. Not so easy to get a new frame. More cannondale parts is not necesarily a better thing. Tiagra brakes are probably better the the cannodale ones that are rebranded tektros I think.

1. From what I gather in the above responses, it is indeed true that although 58cm is "ideal" for me, I will fit just fine in the 56 (assuming I adjust the seat and possibly add a longer stem) Just want to confirm, is this true?

2. I know the Tiagra vs. 105 has been re-hashed over and over in other threads (I have read them all, I think) Lets be honest, will I really notice that much of a difference between the 2??
- When I test rode both I could feel a slightly "cleaner" shift on the 105. The guy at the store told me not to really let that be a deciding factor because, the bike with the 105's had been test ridden a number of times allowing the shifters to "break in" while the Tiagra bike was brand new. Is there any truth to this??

I have to say, I really am torn here. I LOVE the look of the '08, but I do not won't to choose a bike solely on aesthetics.
1. The fitter is saying the 58cm is ideal for you. How much do you trust his knowledge? I have had people tell me I am one size when I know I am another. You can make most likely get the same fit on a 56 as the 58.

2. I went from Tiagra 9 speed to Ultegra 10 speed. Yes there was a difference but they are still very similar. I prefered the harder and shorter clicks on the tiagra than the longer softer shifts of the ultegra. But I prefer the shape of the Ultegras over the tiagra. If you told me I had to run tiagra I really wouldnt care. When set up properly they are both very good. I wouldnt choose a bike because one is 105. If you want you can always add 105 shifters down the line.
Old 04-22-08, 12:59 PM

Bikes: cannondale caad 8 custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cannondale parts are not "name brand" so no better than control tech. Get the bike that fits best. if you were fit to a 58, get it. that frame could last you 15 years. dont even consider the 56. as you get more fit, you may want to stretch out more.. ie longer stem, more drop. if the bike is already small and you have to put a long stem on it from the start, then you will not have room to grow
Old 04-22-08, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
About 90% of the people I see on road bikes have frames that are waay too small. That is the result of the "fashion" of fitting bikes as though it will be used for a 30 minute time-trial...small frame and bars four or five inches lower than the top of the saddle.

Fine for time trials. But for a fitness rider, or week-ends where you might be riding four or five hours a day, having the bars up higher is more comfortable, and that requires a taller frame. How tall? A starting place is the tallest frame you can stand over flat-footed without the top tube pressing painfully into your crotch. Take that size for a test ride and compare it with one size smaller.

Riding the tallest frame you can stand over puts people who have been riding a 55 or 56 on a 59 or 60...the difference in comfort on four hour rides is dramatic.

If you go to the "Competitive Cyclist" website, the tall fit is what they describe as the "French Fit".
Old 04-22-08, 04:41 PM

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My answer is firstly to not consider the 07' just because it is on sale or has a nice gruppo. Frame size is most important.

Second, I would go to another shop and ask them for a recommendation on size. Pay them to fit you on a fitting jig, if they're willing. Should be like $60. That will give you the second opinion that I think you need as no one here can tell you what numerical size to consider.

Third, ask High Gear if they'd be willing to do an exchange if you bought one of the bikes and found it was too big or too small after doing your long weekend ride. Hopefully they'll let you do an exchange within a short period of time, maybe a week or so. If they're willing to do that, pretty much all else is irrelevant.
Old 04-22-08, 05:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally decided on purchasing a Cannondale Synapse 6. Upon going to my LBS tonight for one final ride, I noticed that they had an '07 Synapse Alloy 2 on sale (I hadn't noticed it before). So here are my choices.... (Some advertise differences from the spec list. You can view more at the links)

'08 Cannondale Synapse 6 $1179
58cm
Rear Cogs - Tiagra components (9 Speed)
Sram PG-950, 12-26
Breakset - Tiagra
Handlebar - Control Tech Compact Is this some 3rd Party Handlebar?
Seat doesnt matter, going to swap out for Brooks or Alias anyways.
Chrome/Red/Black
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/c...el-8RAS6T.html

'07 Synapse Alloy 2 $1169
56cm
105 Components (10 Speed)
Rear Cogs - Shimano 105, 12-25
Handle Bar - Cannondale C3, 31.8 mm Name Brand Handlebar as compared to above
Breakset - Cannondale C3
Midnight Blue
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...el-7RAS2T.html

To answer your first question... Yes I rode them both. They felt VERY similar. I could hardly tell the difference between the two. (Probably because I am a noob, that doesn't know good vs better, I admit)

So here is my problem/questions...

1. The store tells me that I measure for a 58cm bike. That 58 is my "true" measurement. BUT... (they say) every rider can fit into 2 different size bikes. That while my IDEAL measurement may be a 58cm, I would also fit just fine into a 56. The guy helping me out (Shout-out to Jeromy at High Gear Cyclery in Stirling, NJ) said that he could tweak the 56 to fit me just fine. I guess I am stubborn, I am afraid that since I have been told that I am a 58, I am nervous to go with a 56. Is that silly??

Now assuming that the difference of 2 cm is no big deal, I am still left with which to go with. Heres the up and downs...

- My "true" size
- This year's model

- $10 Less (whoopie)

Thanks in advance.

"The store tells me that I measure for a 58cm bike."

How did they come to this determination? Do a search on "bike fit" or "frame size" on this site and you will learn that calculating the perfect size\geometry for a given rider can be a pretty involved process typically requiring a fair amount of experimenting with bikes with different geometries. When the store tells you that you measure for a 58cm bike is he suggesting that you should choose a size 58cm regardless of manufacturer? 2cm is a lot.
Old 04-22-08, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
About 90% of the people I see on road bikes have frames that are waay too small. That is the result of the "fashion" of fitting bikes as though it will be used for a 30 minute time-trial...small frame and bars four or five inches lower than the top of the saddle.

Fine for time trials. But for a fitness rider, or week-ends where you might be riding four or five hours a day, having the bars up higher is more comfortable, and that requires a taller frame. How tall? A starting place is the tallest frame you can stand over flat-footed without the top tube pressing painfully into your crotch. Take that size for a test ride and compare it with one size smaller.

Riding the tallest frame you can stand over puts people who have been riding a 55 or 56 on a 59 or 60...the difference in comfort on four hour rides is dramatic.

If you go to the "Competitive Cyclist" website, the tall fit is what they describe as the "French Fit".
Interesting advice -- my road bike fits this description well and I like the ride, but I would add there are significant differences between some frame geometries (i.e., classic road vs compact frames) that should be taken into account. Many would say that top tube length is just as important as seat tube size or standover height.
Old 04-22-08, 11:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Old School
Many would say that top tube length is just as important as seat tube size or standover height.
I feel that the top tube length and head tube angle and length are what matter most, probably because I can straddle up to like 86cm but a bike with such a standover will probably have a longer top tube and therefore a longer reach than I want to deal with. Unless I want to end up with a super short stem.

Last edited by thirdin77; 04-22-08 at 11:26 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-23-08, 03:45 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
A few questions added in light of responses...

1. Fit is an issue. Get the right size. A smaller bike will require you to have the seat higher which creates even more drop to the bars. The bigger bike has a taller head tube and for a rider that rides for fun, that will be more comfortable.

2. 105 shifts better. But unless you are riding a lot of miles, you really won't notice this.

If the 58 was how you sized, get the 58.
Old 04-23-08, 03:47 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Old School
Interesting advice -- my road bike fits this description well and I like the ride, but I would add there are significant differences between some frame geometries (i.e., classic road vs compact frames) that should be taken into account. Many would say that top tube length is just as important as seat tube size or standover height.
Top tube is everything. Every bike I sell is done by fitting the rider's dimensions and looking for the correct top tube length. After that, then there's some places to manuever to set the bike up right for the rider.
Old 04-23-08, 08:21 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Top tube is everything. Every bike I sell is done by fitting the rider's dimensions and looking for the correct top tube length. After that, then there's some places to manuever to set the bike up right for the rider.
While I agree with your first post, even though you fit bikes for a living, "top tube is everything" is bogus. Top tube, head tube length and sta is everything.
Bikes historically have been sized by seat tube length. There is a reason for that which eludes many. It is because in a by gone era of horizontal top tube bikes, seat tube length was proportional to head tube length. In this day of sloping top tubes, this convention no longer applies.

OP, head tube length matters as much as top tube. You have to be in the ball park of each for a decent fit.

Simplistically, if the bike shop said the sweet spot is 58...get the 58. As roadwarrior previously stated correctly, provided top tube isn't too long, a larger frame will be more comfortable because you can get the bars up higher with a longer head tube. Get the 58.
HTH.
Old 04-23-08, 09:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
While I agree with your first post, even though you fit bikes for a living, "top tube is everything" is bogus. Top tube, head tube length and sta is everything.
Why seat tube length? Because it determines the rider's center of gravity or bottom bracket location or both?