Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Victory Over DeSeat-post

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Victory Over DeSeat-post

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 04:19 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Victory Over DeSeat-post

Perhaps some of you fellows remember my acquisition of a poor condition 25" 1976 Schwinn Voyageur II last year - or if not last year, sometime roughly a year to two years ago. Those of you who do remember might recall a "traditional" seized aluminum seatpost plauging the machine.

Well, when it comes down to stuck seatposts, I don't allow them to get the better of me - particularly if it is a forged post w/a micro adjuster.

This said, after a combined total time of about two weeks (off and on, of course) of ammonia, Marvel Mystery Oil, ice, and unbelievable brute force to get that post to spin in the tube, I have a nice little success story to brighten up all those stuck seatpost threads:

It may look like a NR post, but it is some form of Japanese copy. 26.6mm:

[B]Note the oxidation at the bottom of the post caused by the reaction between the steel and the aluminum. At the widest point of the oxidation, the post measures 26.9 in diameter. Just over 2mm additional in diameter (tad over 1mm in thickness, when all is said and done). Pretty much explains why this post, even after having been spun (quite forcefully) 360 degress in the frame, remained jammed pretty tight regardless of force.

May this be a warning to all who care about VLW's: Grease all handlebar stems and seatposts when installing in steel or aluminum frames.

This said, I once saw an East HillŪ sized, 650c Litespeed in the back of one shop, being vigorously attacked with a seatpost reamer by one of the shop repairman. Sure enough, jammed in that frame was an un-greased aluminum seatpost. We know why, eh?

How sweet is victory...

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-22-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-22-08, 04:46 PM
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Well Kurt, its gonna be hard to sand the scratches out of that seatpost!
Old 04-22-08, 05:14 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by evwxxx
Well Kurt, its gonna be hard to sand the scratches out of that seatpost!
Forgettaboutit!

-Kurt

Old 04-22-08, 07:55 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Sell it on ebay as an art object. Maybe mount it on a plaque with an inscription, such as Ode to the Stuck Seatpost. You might be surprised at the result. Oh, and for us Luddites with stone age monitors, can you reduce your images to 800 x 600 pixels? It's a bear to read your text.
Old 04-22-08, 08:22 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Sell it on ebay as an art object. Maybe mount it on a plaque with an inscription, such as Ode to the Stuck Seatpost. You might be surprised at the result. Oh, and for us Luddites with stone age monitors, can you reduce your images to 800 x 600 pixels? It's a bear to read your text.
Haha - tempting. Likely to get more for it then dumping it in the scrap aluminum bin, eh?

I brought the size down - keep forgetting that 1280x1024 isn't everyone's screen resolution.

-Kurt

Old 04-22-08, 09:51 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

This said, I once saw an East HillŪ sized, 650c Litespeed in the back of one shop, being vigorously attacked with a seatpost reamer by one of the shop repairman. Sure enough, jammed in that frame was an un-greased aluminum seatpost. We know why, eh?

How sweet is victory...

-Kurt
You know, one of the Foosters was talking about find a perfect Litespeed in a dumpster (he was only joking), but it could have happened.....................hmm.

Congratulations on removing the object!

East Hill