Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Help with 2k+ mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 10:45 PM
A biker with an ardor

Bikes: Actually, none at the moment. lol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with 2k+ mile trip

In approximately a year or so, I should be taking off on a 2k+ mile trip to Southern California from Northeastern Alabama. The date is still in the works. The trip is somewhere around 2,050 miles. I'm new to biking. I used to ride my bike to school in middle school almost 8 yrs ago, but I somehow don't think that counts. I'll be getting a bike within the next month or so and will most likely compete in a triathlon sometime in July. I need help on what bike I should choose and whether or not I should get a trailer. Also, how I should prepare. I'm a fairly athletic guy. I can run a mile in 5:34 and I'm a college cheerleader. I'll be riding this bike around the college campus to classes and most likely to work. That will help to prepare me and save on gas. Any help is truly appreciated.
Old 04-27-08, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
A year or so . . . is a long time away. Plans/circumstances change.
Start riding regularly. Increase your distances, increase your speed. Start carrying stuff on the bike (panniers with encyclopedias are a great way to practice!).
Practice riding hills with a load. You will encounter heat/cold/wind/rain/bugs/cars/trucks and mountains.
If you're still hung-ho after all of that, you'll do just fine!
Old 04-27-08, 11:24 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
A couple of things --

-- You can find out a lot just by looking at the forums here; go back through the archives and look at threads on first bikes, getting fit, etc.

-- Two other excellent resources for touring at the Adventure Cycling Association and www.crazyguyonabike.com. Lots of good info.

- IMHO, the best bike for getting around campus might not necessarily be the best bike for your tour. I'm thinking mainly about theft / places where you can store your bike. My son and I just went through the process of picking a bike for him to take to college (he starts next year) and after visiting lots of colleges w/him the last year my impression is that "nice" bikes stick out like a sore thumb on campus; most bikes on campuses that I visited aren't that nice. In other words, the $800 to $1000 bike you want for your 2,000 mile trip is likely a little more expensive than the bike you want to have around campus.

If I were advising you (as I've advised him...) I'd look at a good used steel road bike for around campus and getting fit...if you then want to do some more serious riding (like the trip you mentioned), upgrade to a touring-suitable bike a couple of months before you trip, giving you plenty of time to get used to the bike and iron out any bugs in advance.

Also, just FYI, the way Bikeforums is organized, you'll find better information for your long trip in the "Touring" sub-forum. This "Long Distance" forum tends to be the home of folks who are doing long-distance cycling events -- like Century rides, multi-day endurance events, etc.
Old 04-28-08, 01:06 AM
A biker with an ardor

Bikes: Actually, none at the moment. lol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright man, thanks. That actually sounds like a great idea to get a regular ol' bike for training and school then upgrade later. One thing I forgot to mention is that almost all of my ride over there will be on interstate 10 after interstate 59. Since the topic has already started here, should I still transfer it over to "Touring" and restart the topic?