Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ghost Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ghost Bike

Link Here
Better picture showing bike is placed right in the same spot bicycle came to rest here

'Ghost Bike' Marks Spot Where Raleigh Bicyclist Hit
Ghost Bike

Posted: Apr. 28 7:02 p.m.

Raleigh, N.C. — A memorial known as a "ghost bike" now marks the spot where a Raleigh woman was struck by a vehicle last week.

Nancy Antoine Leidy, 60, died April 23, hours after she was struck by a pickup truck, driven by Brian Anthony Reid, near the intersection of Nazareth Street and Crusader Drive.

Ghost bikes are painted white and placed at sites across the United States where a bicyclist has been hit or killed by a driver to remind motorists to share the road.

Reid, 21, faces one count each of felony death by motor vehicle, driving while impaired, felony assault by motor vehicle and failure to reduce speed.

Police said he had been celebrating his 21st birthday at the time of the crash.
Old 09-26-08, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There was a ghost bike pictured in today's Detroit Free Press. It memorializes a bicyclist who was killed last weekend IN Royal Oak, Michigan by a hit-and-run driver who has not yet been found. I'd never heard of ghost bikes before.

For those unfamiliar with the Detroit area -- this occurred on Woodward Avenue, the broadest throughfare in the state, and yes, home of the Woodward Dream Cruise. It is well-traveled and has plenty of room for both motorists and bicyclists. There's no excuse for this.

The story is here -- > https://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...809260362/1081
Old 09-26-08, 07:53 AM

Bikes: CRF150

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neat Idea to say the least...IMHO
Old 09-26-08, 08:17 AM
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimbrown
Police said he had been celebrating his 21st birthday at the time of the crash.
Happy Birthday. You're going to jail.
Old 09-26-08, 08:42 AM

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyfrog
Happy Birthday. You're going to jail.
Probably wouldn't be if he weren't drunk when he hit her.
Old 09-26-08, 08:53 AM
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
Probably wouldn't be if he weren't drunk when he hit her.

True. Sad, but true.
Old 09-26-08, 08:55 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
We've put out three ghost bikes this year...
Old 09-26-08, 09:27 AM
Full Clout Y'all

Bikes: Right now, 8-10 various steeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidW56
There was a ghost bike pictured in today's Detroit Free Press. It memorializes a bicyclist who was killed last weekend IN Royal Oak, Michigan by a hit-and-run driver who has not yet been found. I'd never heard of ghost bikes before.

For those unfamiliar with the Detroit area -- this occurred on Woodward Avenue, the broadest throughfare in the state, and yes, home of the Woodward Dream Cruise. It is well-traveled and has plenty of room for both motorists and bicyclists. There's no excuse for this.

The story is here -- > https://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...809260362/1081

Rest in peace to a Detroit bike commuter. Royal Oak is a good place to ride around, by Detroit's standards. Car was a 2008 Jeep Liberty, White in color
Old 09-27-08, 10:31 PM
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ritepath
Neat Idea to say the least...IMHO
Alas, ritepath, I have to disagree with you.

Ghost bikes promote the notion that cycling is a very dangerous activity, and that pernicious myth is one of the barriers to making bicycling more popular.
Old 09-27-08, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipSeal
Alas, ritepath, I have to disagree with you.

Ghost bikes promote the notion that cycling is a very dangerous activity, and that pernicious myth is one of the barriers to making bicycling more popular.
Suppose the bike was also to include a sign mentioning that the cyclist was killed by a drunk driver?
Then rather than promoting the myth that cycling is dangerous, it points out that drunk driving is dangerous to otherwise safe activities?
Old 09-28-08, 05:21 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
There are several "ghost bikes" in Manhattan. Note: I happen to dislike the concept of roadside memorials in general.

While I sympathize with the family and friends of the bereaved, as someone who did not know the individual I don't need to be reminded of the spot where an ordinary citizen died for the rest of my life. It doesn't make anyone any safer, clutters up sidewalks, and often they become eyesores.

I'm willing to put up with them for a short time, unfortunately they tend to persist far beyond what seems justifiable and worthwhile.

Originally Posted by xenologer
Suppose the bike was also to include a sign mentioning that the cyclist was killed by a drunk driver? Then rather than promoting the myth that cycling is dangerous, it points out that drunk driving is dangerous to otherwise safe activities?
Is that what you really need to learn that driving under the influence is unsafe....?

IMO there is no redeeming social value to ghost bikes, only to family and friends of the dead.
Old 09-28-08, 06:09 AM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ghostbikes remind the @sshole who killed someone that they killed someone.
Old 09-28-08, 07:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the cyclist who got hit in Royal Oak was on Woodward. I don't know a part of Woodward in Royal Oak that has a safe place to ride a bike. People in the Detroit area, in general, drive like jerks. Royal Oak is full of such jerks who figure where they gotta go in a hurry is more important than you or your safety. Woodward's got a lot of those parking lots that run along the road in front of the storefronts. Crappy traffic. People drive too fast and too aggressively for safe cycling. Very sad to see. I consider myself a reasonable guy when it comes to assessing risk, and I wouldn't ride on Woodward around there.

Funny, but downtown Royal Oak could be really bike friendly, but it's not. That's because, to a significant extent, of the choices the local government made about how it was going to plan the development of the space. The space is perfect to be like Berkley, California with regard to how pedestrians and cyclists are given priority. Another shame. A shame that leads to death accidents.

Now, I'm not trying to take any culpability away from that driver that hit the cyclist. Only meant to say that I'm familiar with the mess that Royal Oak is, and that it would have been easy to make the city a better place to ride and to make families feel more comfortable.
Old 09-28-08, 11:25 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
Ghostbikes remind the @sshole who killed someone that they killed someone.
Accidents, even fatal ones, do happen. Sometimes the driver is 100% at fault, sometimes it's the cyclists' fault, many times both are making errors....
Old 09-28-08, 12:42 PM
Randomhead

Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I like ghost bikes. But in general, I'm against roadside memorials. Usually when I see one, I wonder to myself how anyone could have been killed at that location. There was a motorcycle accident near me where the motorcyclist was weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed. He was on the wrong side of the road when someone pulled out of their driveway and he nailed them. I don't know if they misjudged his speed or didn't see him. There was an elaborate memorial by the side of the road for a few months, now it's gone. I always thought that the person that pulled out was a victim of the deceased, not the other way around. They probably don't need to see that memorial every day to feel guilty.

There was another accident near us where the deceased caused the accident, and injured a batch of other people. Someone kept putting up a cross, and the victims kept taking it down.
Old 09-28-08, 01:27 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never seen a ghost bike. Have seen plenty of highway memorials.
Old 09-28-08, 02:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have seen 2 ghost-bikes here in s nj. (chilling reminder)

it's odd however, both have been rapidly removed.

there are memorials in place at other locations with teddybears/pictures/statements however. these are for motorists, bicyclists, pedestrials, and motorcyclists who have been killed. no ghost-bikes.
Old 09-28-08, 04:52 PM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Accidents, even fatal ones, do happen. Sometimes the driver is 100% at fault, sometimes it's the cyclists' fault, many times both are making errors....
Nod. Just feeling a little bitter here. We've had four fatalities in one month over here in Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Old 09-28-08, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe

Is that what you really need to learn that driving under the influence is unsafe....?
*glances at traffic*

Apparantly so.
Unless you mean some kind of govt. sponsored campaign... but I don't see that happening...