Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2003 Jamis Dakota XC

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2003 Jamis Dakota XC

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2003 Jamis Dakota XC

I'm in the process of upgrading bikes, but I don't really have money to get a decent bike in this years model so I'm looking at getting a 2003 Jamis Dakota XC that never sold. The bike store is talking about charging $900 (it listed at $1400 when it came out). Is this a good deal? If not, any idea what would be? I know that the price of Dakota has gone down since. Is it just because they switched to aluminum frames? This is a big investment for me, so I'd appreciate some input.
Old 04-29-08, 08:41 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I'm kind of borderline on this one. On one hand, even though it's new, it's a 5 year old bike and at $900 the price is still a bit up there. On the other hand, for the price that's at, you'd probably be getting a better deal by going with that compared to what you get when you put down $900 for anything that parallels that bike.

So in the end, I'd go for it.
Old 04-29-08, 09:05 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biggest difference for me would be the fork. I'm not entirely up to date on advances in fork technology over the past 5 years, but from what I gather there have been some pretty significant advancements, starting at around that time (2003/4ish). What fork does it come with?
Old 04-29-08, 09:19 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
If I remember a manitou skareb.
Old 04-30-08, 01:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fork type

Its an Answer Manitou Skareb Elite.

The specs are here: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...a+XC&Type=bike

Thanks for the advice so far, I'm just upgrading from my Kona Fire Mountain and pretty excited to get on a little fancier ride
Old 04-30-08, 06:08 AM
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try to negotiate a bit with them. Bottom line is that they have lost money on that bike holding it for 4+ years. On the other hand, this tells me that they are the type that will not negotiate or they would not have it all these years later.

I would walk in with $800 or $850 in cash and say 'this is what I am willing to spend - taxes included' and say take it or leave it. I think at $800 is it is good buy.

Truth is you could find something similar on ebay for around $800 or less if you took some time. You could find something that has not been ridden much at all and thus is about the same. Plenty people buy MTB and hardly ever ride them.
Old 04-30-08, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah...there was a "like new" '07 Dragon Comp on ebay for under $800 (buy it now)...