Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Technium 420

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Technium 420

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 10:58 AM

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Technium 420

I just found a Raleigh Technium 420 that I simply couldn't allow to sit on the curb to be discarded. I picked it up and checked it out, it's in pretty good shape. My initial plan was to strip it down to frame and fork and rebuild as a single or fixie. Now, after doing a little research on its bi-metal, bonded frame and the potential for frame failure, I'm wondering how suitable it would be for building it up for a clyd, I'm about 250 lbs and a masher. Are the concerns for frame failure overrated or, would this be a frameset more appropriate for someone much lighter?

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-03-08, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No one is responding, but I'll throw in my unlearned two cents:

250 lbs + masher + old bonded aluminum = certain disaster

Even Tange #1, #2 and prestige, all steel, had lower weight limits than 250 (much lower). Wouldn't oversized steel be the way to go?
Old 05-03-08, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely a death-trap for you. Go ahead and ship it to me, I'm 100lbs lighter, so it should be safe. Really though, why not give it a shot, just keep an eye on the stress points for cracking or separation. There are literally thousands of aircraft flying today, with more hours than that frame, using the exact same bonding tech.
Old 05-03-08, 07:05 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I would suggest you post this to the Clydesdale list. You should be able to get good feedback there.