Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Xootr folder - question and observations about Birdy, etc

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to start commuting to work (downtown Chicago) on a folder and spent 3 hours at my local bike shop trying a Birdy, Tikit and Dahon Mu. I was surprised at how well the Mu rode - best of all IMO, but I have major concerns about reliability from reading various reports. The Birdy looks great and is light as a feather... the suspension is great as well. However the ride was very twitchy and the streering not at all neutral. It has a tendancy to dive into turns (alarming, in fact!). As a long term motorbike rider, I put that down to bad front end geometry. Shame, because everything else was beautiful! The Tikit Model T rides pretty well if you put wider bars on it but its soooo expensive and I need a weight upgrade so I'm in for at least $1300.

Which brings me back to the Xootr. I like everything about this bike except for one thing - it doesn't have folding handlebars like Dahon, Birdy or Bike Friday. This strikes me as a simple thing to introduce. Is there any market info on whether they will bring this in? I don't want to but a $700 bike and find that there is a massive enhancement just around the corner!

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 05-04-08, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But the Swift handlebar tube has a quick release. You can just pop the whole thing out or tuen it sideways. Better than folding handlebars.
Old 05-04-08, 04:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's OK I guess if you've got some velcro to keep it all together. I think I'd rather see a nice folding hinge on the stem like the Bike Friday or Dahon. Anyway, I think I'm going to take the plunge anyway and try a silver Xootr.
Old 05-04-08, 11:48 PM
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jwlunt
The Birdy looks great and is light as a feather... the suspension is great as well. However the ride was very twitchy and the streering not at all neutral. It has a tendancy to dive into turns (alarming, in fact!). As a long term motorbike rider, I put that down to bad front end geometry. Shame, because everything else was beautiful!
Hmm, I'm a bit surprised by this comment. I too am a motorbike rider, and I find my Birdy very maneuverable, but I wouldn't call it twitchy. It is very stable going straight, and turns easily.