Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

barrel adjuster dilemma...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a two pairs of nice 80's vintage single pivot brake calipers (Gran Compe Royal Compe and Shimano 600) but neither pair has a good set of barrel adjusters. I looked around here, and Google, and it seems the only replacement is a set from Campagnolo at $25 each! At $50 for a pair of them I can buy some pretty decent brakes - are these brakes really pretty much worthless without these adjusters? I do have one set of adjusters, but the threads are beat up on them and they won't 'adjust' anymore.

Sell all 4 on eBay for ???, or keep and wait and see??? Any suggestions?
Old 05-04-08, 11:16 PM
Padovano

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can use barrell adjusters from newer stuff on the 600's... not sure about the other ones...
Old 05-05-08, 06:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike552
You can use barrell adjusters from newer stuff on the 600's... not sure about the other ones...
They both use the Campagnolo NR type adjusters. I wish the arms were threaded to accept adjusters from newer brakes, but they have a 'D' shaped hole that the adjuster sits in. With the cables off the bike the adjusters simply fall out of the hole. No one has ever drilled the hole out a little then tapped it to accept the threaded in adjusters?
Old 05-05-08, 01:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^
|
Thanks! I have the 6207 version, and what you describe is exactly what these adjusters are doing. I'll try the liquid wrench.
Old 05-05-08, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
For aluminum pieces bonded together, soak in an ammonium solution, this will dissolve the aluminum oxide and allow you to separate the pieces.
Old 05-05-08, 04:30 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not just go with a nice set of inline adjusters?

Old 05-07-08, 05:48 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by hhabca
They both use the Campagnolo NR type adjusters. I wish the arms were threaded to accept adjusters from newer brakes, but they have a 'D' shaped hole that the adjuster sits in. With the cables off the bike the adjusters simply fall out of the hole. ...
It's a common problem. Wasn't part of the reason for that kind of adjuster that they work really well? The original ones were stainless steel or something, and had a big adjusting nut with a rubber ring embedded. I think you can take a common aluminum barrel adjuster and file a flat spot onto it and it will work well enough; better if you can make a larger adjusting nut.

Originally Posted by hhabca
... No one has ever drilled the hole out a little then tapped it to accept the threaded in adjusters?
I haven't tried that; but it seems to me the hole is too big for that to work really well; but if you don't drill it, you might be able to get enough thread --mainly on the flat spot-- that the regular threaded adjuster will hold.

Speaking of taps... is this the thread size of the 'regular threaded adjuster'?