Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sticker Shock

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sticker Shock

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 10:08 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sticker Shock

After reading the recent Speedplay threads, I was convinced to buy one or another of the mid-to-higher-end road pedals. And then I saw the prices.

Yow!

I can be very creative at justifying nearly any bicycle-related purchase, and I'm not knocking the product, but I'm just in shock. I mean you could buy an awful lot of beer for the price two shoes and two pedals. Come to think of it, I bought a nice Italian-made road bike frame on Ebay for similar coin last year. Guess I'll just stick with the ol' SPD pedals and cheap mountain bike shoes I've been rolling with for the past five years or so. Besides, I reckon no shoes or pedals on earth would lift me from my status as a charter member of Team Dead Last.
Old 05-05-08, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
High end shoes and pedals are outrageously priced. Perhaps PT Barnum was right.
Old 05-05-08, 11:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, recoil in horror at high end pedal and shoe prices, but I reached a point where I just couldn't hang with MTB shoes and SPD's any more. I'm running Nashbar Look knockoff pedals (<$50/pair) and Nike and Cannondale low to midrange shoes, also <$50/pair, bought from Craiglist (Nikes) and Nashbar using a 20% discount on top of an already discounted price. Way better than the MTB/SPD combo. Dunno why there aren't any Speedplay knockoffs--maybe they've got better lawyers.
Old 05-06-08, 02:59 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
After reading the recent Speedplay threads, I was convinced to buy one or another of the mid-to-higher-end road pedals. And then I saw the prices.

Yow!

I can be very creative at justifying nearly any bicycle-related purchase, and I'm not knocking the product, but I'm just in shock. I mean you could buy an awful lot of beer for the price two shoes and two pedals. Come to think of it, I bought a nice Italian-made road bike frame on Ebay for similar coin last year. Guess I'll just stick with the ol' SPD pedals and cheap mountain bike shoes I've been rolling with for the past five years or so. Besides, I reckon no shoes or pedals on earth would lift me from my status as a charter member of Team Dead Last.
I thought you could only rent beer!
Old 05-06-08, 04:11 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
...mid-to-higher-end...
There's the problem.
Old 05-06-08, 06:09 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I thought you could only rent beer!
Old 05-06-08, 06:15 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not about to give up my SPD's. That would mean I couldn't wear those great cycling sandals all summer

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-06-08, 06:26 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I think everything is getting sky high. I went over some of the receipts I saved from the things I bought and I was at shock myself. I just threw them away last night, but I am going to watch my spending from now on. I think if more people start doing, that the prices will start going down. Or I would like to think they would, anyway.
Old 05-06-08, 06:28 AM
I'm no newbie!

Bikes: Trek 5500, Fixie(1986 Gitane), 3Rensho campy(1982), Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 720(trainer), Trek 530(cross)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with SPD's? I think they are a great pedal. Besides, you can walk around without looking like you're wearing high heals.
Old 05-06-08, 06:42 AM
( 8n(|) DOH!!

Bikes: Scattante R670

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Jet, my suggestion is to buy used. The pedals are next to indestructable so let the original buyer take the hit. Then spend the extra money on higher end shoes.....or beer.

I love noodles.
Old 05-06-08, 06:50 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwnt
Hey Jet, my suggestion is to buy used. The pedals are next to indestructable so let the original buyer take the hit. Then spend the extra money on higher end shoes.....or beer.
I know such a person who has two pair of Shimano SPD-SL's gathering dust in the garage. PM me if you're interested.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-06-08, 06:55 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dave.henri
What's wrong with SPD's? I think they are a great pedal. Besides, you can walk around without looking like you're wearing high heals.
Maybe I like high heels.
Old 05-06-08, 07:41 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Variety is the spice of life. Just because you choose one type of pedal for certain situations doesn't preclude choosing a different type for other situations. You don't have just one kind of bike for every possible cycling situation, do you? Why limit yourself to just one kind of pedal?
Old 05-06-08, 07:55 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just use old fashion clips and any shoe I want to wear that day. If I were in a competitive event I could see spending the money but all I'm doing is riding a bike for fun and exercise. My current shoes are a pair of tennis shoes I found on clearance for $4.50 and they work fine, both on and off the bike.
Old 05-06-08, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to that. I don't take the cycling seriously enough to warrant anything more than my skateboard shoes. Well padded and flat.

torgrot
Old 05-06-08, 11:02 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It's the war tax. We've been putting the cost of the Iraq war on the credit card. When you do that it takes awhile but eventually you have to pay the piper. In this case the dollar exchange rate has gone down the tube and, since most bicycle parts are imported, the price has shot up.
Old 05-06-08, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
You don't have just one kind of bike for every possible cycling situation, do you?
As a matter of fact, yes I do. At least every possible cycling situation that I am personally likely to encounter....
Old 05-06-08, 02:15 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got my pedals on eBay. $80.00 with free shipping for new SPD 6620 Ultegra pedals,$125.00 for a pair of new Specialized Pro Carbon shoes. No complaints here. Lp
Old 05-06-08, 02:53 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Terrierman
As a matter of fact, yes I do. At least every possible cycling situation that I am personally likely to encounter....
Nothing wrong with that, if that keeps you satisfied, though you are building up quite an N+1 deficit.
Myself, I enjoy the variation of using different bikes and accessories for different situations. Not that there is only one type for each situation, there is plenty of overlap. But I do like variety.
Old 05-06-08, 03:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was nearly into the realms of buying different shoes and pedals for the road bike a couple of weeks ago. I do get a good deal from my LBS- but the price made me think again. I still do a bit of offroad so SPD's are the rule there. Have the road bikes set up with A520 road pedals for SPD's but according to some- I ought to be getting proper road shoes and pedals. I would have got the pedals at a sensible price and the shop did find me a top rate pair of shoes in my size that they were prepared to almost give away. Tried on the shoes- and I could not walk in them and that was before the cleats went on. I am not one of those riders that get on the bike- do a quick 100 miles and go home- I need PIE and coffee- I need a comfort break and I do enjoy taking a rest and walking about every now and then.

In hind sight I should have taken the shop up on their offer of the shoes and pedals. They were cheap- but how good is cheap when they would cause me other problems. Would falling in clipless shoes without the bike Count as an entry in Club Tombay.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-06-08, 03:51 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Would falling in clipless shoes without the bike Count as an entry in Club Tombay.
I doubt it. They seem to have pretty strict standards.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-06-08, 07:03 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Bicycle magazine suggested that you save money on pedals and buy a good set of shoes. I mean, how much better a rider would we be if we spent $450 on Unobtainium Speedplays? One the other hand, I can tell a big difference in comfort with my (gift certificate) Sidi's.
Old 05-06-08, 07:08 PM
just keep riding

Stap, no offense, but you are still pretty much a noob as a road rider. It would take a week or less to master the fine art of walking in road shoes and cleats. I'm not saying you would want to take a stroll around the block or through the mall, but the short walk to the table for pie and coffee would quickly become a non-issue. Just get it over with. Get the shoes and pedals and some cleat covers and get on with your life. Anyone who can stoke an offroad tandem, ride an offroad century and climb Mont Ventoux can manage to learn to walk in road cycling shoes.
Old 05-06-08, 07:11 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Bicycle magazine suggested that you save money on pedals and buy a good set of shoes. I mean, how much better a rider would we be if we spent $450 on Unobtainium Speedplays? One the other hand, I can tell a big difference in comfort with my (gift certificate) Sidi's.
+1
Old 05-06-08, 07:22 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm still using my Niki road shoes I bought in 1997 off the clearance rack from Performance for about $25. Still using the same speed play X2 pedals - had to replace the cleats once as they wore out. Also on my second pair of laces. I view the investment well worth it and would never go back to conventional pedals. The difference you get is worth it even for the recreational rider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.