Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Denver Post May 6 Cycling articles

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 08:43 AM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There were a number of articles on Safe Cycling in today's(May 6) Denver Post including
"One Dangerous Road " The main article on cover of sports section.

Link to One Dangerous Road: W. 32nd Ave.
https://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_9163889

link to video on the dangers of cycling on West 32nd Avenue https://photos.denverpost.com/photopr...tid=1539385012

link to "They think it's funny if they swerve into you"
https://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_9163926
Old 05-06-08, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was I the only dissapointed with the coverage of the problem due to lack of Golden, Wheatridge or Jefferson County officials acknowledging the problem and planning to do anything about it. It did a great job of describing the problem but didn't give much hope to getting it fixed.
Old 05-06-08, 03:49 PM
assonfire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can not believe the picture of the cyclists riding two abreast! Sure, it's okay sometimes but not on that road in those traffic conditions. Sheeesh!
Old 05-06-08, 08:51 PM
( 8n(|) DOH!!

Bikes: Scattante R670

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heyduke
I can not believe the picture of the cyclists riding two abreast! Sure, it's okay sometimes but not on that road in those traffic conditions. Sheeesh!

Yeah, kinda hard to make a good argument about "share the road" when we have pictures like that being printed in a "share the road" article. Not good.

I love noodles.
Old 05-07-08, 03:15 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Unless the guy on the right is a small giant, he may be ahead of the cyclist on the left. He's still not in his shoulder though...
Old 05-07-08, 08:09 AM
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was GREAT to see this article on the cover of the Post's sports section. The paper devotes almost nothing to bike racing; some lazy ATOC coverage and then daily AP blurbs on the TDF. I'm going to see if I can get one of those Share the Road license plates.
And speaking of those two guys riding more or less abreast on a busy road :
friend and I had done a 22 mile loop from the house to Nederland and back last weekend. as we came out of town and started climbing toward Magnolia I pulled up - briefly - next to him to comment on something or other. It must have seemed more important than it actually was. At any rate, we were more or less side by side on 119 - zero shoulder - for perhaps 45 seconds? maybe more , maybe less. However, that was plenty of time for 3-4 cars/trucks to zoom past us; the last one had a passenger yell at us for riding as we were. (anyone ever notice how cars seem to run in packs? I don't use a peek mirror but I've learned that when one car passes me to be ready for another, and another....and...) At any rate, what I realized was that those drivers now had a bad impression of cyclists because of ME!! As far as they know we rode that way all the way home and typify greedy, uncaring cyclists who ride two abreast. And who probably "deserve" anything that happens to them.
I'm a little eggy faced over that. And consider it a lesson learned.
Old 05-07-08, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The question remains if you are riding two abreast and impeding traffic. Many motorists say that just the fact that you are riding on the road equates to impeding traffic. I just can't find it in me to care if cyclists are riding single file or side by side. I suppose that may be wrong but that is my opinion.
Old 05-07-08, 09:00 AM
Old School

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Allez Carbon, 1997 Specialized Ground Control AIM Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who wins...

I drive 36k+ a year commuting between Denver And Co. Springs and I have seen many incidents of road rage. People are not like they used to be, they are meaner and more short-sighted, not thinking about consequences. It's like riding in a herd of cows- don't try to reason with them, just try to stay out of the way. We are on 15lb bikes and they are in 4000lb cars. I have been grazed twice by vehicles. Just be cool, smile and get a license plate.

It really doesn't matter who is right or wrong, if some lunatic hits you, you are dead, RIDE OVER. Forever.
Old 05-07-08, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It doesn't work. They still hit you. And yes one can survive a car vs bike collision as I did.
I wonder how many collisions occur when riding two abreast? Mine was while riding solo in a bike lane.