Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Respect to the Schwinn Varsity

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 10:15 AM
rocker

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Sportabout bicycle, 1979 Silver Anniversary Fender Stratocaster guitar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know it was fashionable to dis the so-called Schwinn "lightweights" back in the day, but I consider the Varsity and Continental series to be right up there with the Model T Ford and the Piper Cub in terms of making their form of transportation popular and accessible. The method of construction of the frame was unique too, and if Schwinn had used more alloy parts in other places the weight could have been made competitive (more or less) with their rivals.

I found eBay to be a wonderful source for NOS and slightly used parts to restore and maintain my 1977 Schwinn Sportabout (a cheaper version of the Varsity but with better derailleurs than the Continental of the same vintage). Again it was about respect: the Japanese SunTour derailleurs were dissed just because they were Japanese instead of French or Italian, even though their slant parallelogram design was the best in the world at the time.

I am proud to ride a vintage Schwinn of the Varsity family of bicycles. They are tough and reliable.
Old 05-07-08, 10:43 AM
I Like Heavy Old Schwinns

Bikes: 1985 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear ya man, and its good to be proud of what you ride regardless of what it is. After all, you're the one working on and riding it so why try to please other people?
Old 05-07-08, 11:05 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gaspipe Forever
Old 05-07-08, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said enjoy your vintage ride.
Old 05-07-08, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Suntour showed Campy and Shimano what a derailleur ought to be. I am going to start collecting all things Cyclone and VX-GT...For they are the finest ever made. My cyclone deraileur is one of the lightest meanest, badest shifting unites of all time

Its a shame that all the tooling for Suntour got sold for scrap...Somebody with big bucks and good marketing could have brought the Suntour name back. Oh well the old parts live on.
Old 05-07-08, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hear them called "Varsinentals"-- what are the differences between a Varsity and a Continental?
Old 05-07-08, 12:26 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
I hear them called "Varsinentals"-- what are the differences between a Varsity and a Continental?
$20 and a chrome fork.

S. J. Perelman
Old 05-07-08, 12:27 PM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I confess to dissing the Varsities back in the day, even though I had one for a brief time. No dis at all to the SunTour derailleurs, as I had a VGT on a Nishiki and I was amazed with how well it worked. I wish SunTour had survived and could continue to innovate.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 05-07-08, 12:28 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Conti had an aluminum handlebar and a forged front fork instead of the blade type fork.
Old 05-07-08, 12:37 PM

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Aluminum handlebar, center-pull brakes, quick release hubs are the obvious.

My '80 Continental has chrome forks, as well.

Added images of cool Lemon, 1970 work in process, and 1980 Continental, not II version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1262dl.jpg (94.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg
IMGP1252dwnld.jpg (55.3 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by bab2000; 05-07-08 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-07-08, 12:48 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Continental II's had the chrome fork. Earlier Continentals do not:

-Kurt

Old 05-07-08, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,691 Times in 2,611 Posts
In the mid 1960s, my older brother was the first in the neighborhood to move from a BMX-type bike to an "English Racer": a blue Schwinn Varsity. It was coveted by all--and eventually run over accidentally by a neighbor as he was backing out of his driveway. He bought my brother a new bike and somehow bent the first back into alignment, and his son would ride it around the neighborhood.

When it was time for me to get my first "racer" bike, I got a yellow Vista Flyer. Hmm.

Neal
Old 05-07-08, 01:05 PM

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a story I read on another site, that a Schwinn employee took his Varsity to the top of his buildling, through it to the ground from the roof, 3 or 4 stories, went down, picked it up, realigned the handle bars, and maybe the seat, then rode of down the street.

Much of the weight is in the steel rims, change over to aluminum or alloy rims improve performance I have been told.
Old 05-07-08, 01:13 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Schwinn Varsity:

My dad had a late 60's Varsity that he passed onto me when he upgraded to the Raleigh Competition. I was in my early teens, too young to drive, too old to want Mom schlepping me about. It was my life. I had my first "date" with that bike, used it to ride to my first girlfriends house.

Deep blue with a Brooks saddle. Down tube shifters, center pull brakes (may have been upgrades). Had the little black saddle bag and the rat trap rear rack. No dork disk or chainring guard.

I remember tearing it down almost weekly, lovingly cleaning the bits and pieces, putting it all back together. Bars would get retaped almost as often as I changed socks. My friend and I would spend countless hours at the Schwinn dealer, hanging out in the air conditioned comfort, checking out all the bikes. I so wanted to be a mechanic.

It was stolen off the front porch one afternoon. I was absolutely devastated, I cried for days. We replaced it with a Sprint but it just wasn't the same. The next year I started driving and the bike was consigned to the garage.
Old 05-07-08, 01:39 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Continental II's had the chrome fork. Earlier Continentals do not:
Ahhh--- but some do young grasshopper, including my '62.

The OP mentions the weight. The one above which I modified weighs just over 29 lbs. but under 30!
Not too shabby for electro forged!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-07-08, 01:41 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there Bike Guitarist! Welcome!

It's Alice with the 77 Sportabout! Remember me?

I still have Birdie and she is still all original.

I saw you on the Old Ten Speed Gallery!
Old 05-07-08, 02:20 PM
rocker

Bikes: 1977 Schwinn Sportabout bicycle, 1979 Silver Anniversary Fender Stratocaster guitar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alicestrong
Hey there Bike Guitarist! Welcome!

It's Alice with the 77 Sportabout! Remember me?

I still have Birdie and she is still all original.

I saw you on the Old Ten Speed Gallery!
Yep. Hello again Alice. I'd love to have some photographs of Birdie and maybe some stories to put on my web site if you're willing. Sportabouts are relatively unknown compared to the ubiquitous Varsinentals.
Old 05-07-08, 02:23 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Ahhh--- but some do young grasshopper, including my '62.
Thank you for correcting me on that point, Bob. I failed to recall the early models.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The OP mentions the weight. The one above which I modified weighs just over 29 lbs. but under 30!
Not too shabby for electro forged!
Not bad - my '61 Schwinn Paramount weighs around 25 with the original aluminum seatpost jammed in the center of the seattube and rather heavy Phil Wood touring hubs and SACHS 7-speed freewheel. Says a lot for the Continental, if you ask me!

-Kurt

Old 05-07-08, 02:24 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

P.S.: Speaking of forks from Continental II's, I could use three of them, if anyone has happened to have stripped a couple. Either from a 22" men's frame, or a ladies' frame of any size.

-Kurt

Old 05-07-08, 11:58 PM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
You Schwinn people are infectious. I've been a Raleigh man all my life. Never would have jumped in a dumpster for an old Schwinn.
Last week there was an old Continental at the dump. after reading a few of these threads, I didn't figure I aughta leave it there.
i haven't had time to look it over yet, it's pretty far gone at this point and not my size but somehow I fielt I needed an EF Schwinn.
Old 05-08-08, 12:02 AM
rocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
You Schwinn people are infectious.
You mean SCHWINNfectious, lol
Thanks for rescuing the Continental.
Old 05-08-08, 01:58 AM

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
The Schwinn Varsity:

My dad had a late 60's Varsity that he passed onto me when he upgraded to the Raleigh Competition. I was in my early teens, too young to drive, too old to want Mom schlepping me about. It was my life. I had my first "date" with that bike, used it to ride to my first girlfriends house.

Deep blue with a Brooks saddle. Down tube shifters, center pull brakes (may have been upgrades). Had the little black saddle bag and the rat trap rear rack. No dork disk or chainring guard.

I remember tearing it down almost weekly, lovingly cleaning the bits and pieces, putting it all back together. Bars would get retaped almost as often as I changed socks. My friend and I would spend countless hours at the Schwinn dealer, hanging out in the air conditioned comfort, checking out all the bikes. I so wanted to be a mechanic.

It was stolen off the front porch one afternoon. I was absolutely devastated, I cried for days. We replaced it with a Sprint but it just wasn't the same. The next year I started driving and the bike was consigned to the garage.
Haiku-ish. Thank you
Old 05-08-08, 02:09 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I never owned a Schwinn. My Uncle was a Raleigh dealer.

While I appreciate Varsinentals as well made, durable icons, and will rescue ones that are in good condition, I've never been able to bring myself to keep one. It would probably be different if I had ridden one whilst growing up. My soft spot for entry level bicycles is reserved for the Raleigh Grand Prix.
Old 05-08-08, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
It is possible to get a varsinental under 30 pounds, I know, I've done it. Swap out most of the steel components for alloy, include a 3 piece crank conversion, and you can get it to come in @ about 28-29 pounds. That's not too bad for a geared bike with a nuke-proof frame.

EF Schwinn frames make very good starting points for utility/commuter bike build ups.
Old 05-08-08, 06:50 AM

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My youngest brother still waxes nostalgic about his continental!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.