Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

New frame for an Xtracycle

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 04:16 PM
Urban Assault Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an Xtracycle on a Del Sol Lowboy frame right now. It's similar to the Electra Townie. Problem is that the laid-back geometry is no longer right for me. So, I'm looking to hook it all up to a new frame. I have a Specialized Rockhopper, but the seat stays are tapered. The issue that brings up is with the Bobike Maxi seat. The mounts on the seat stays slip down. So, I'm looking for a good solid frame that does not have tapered seat stays. Any ideas?
Old 05-08-08, 09:18 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DizzyG3
I have an Xtracycle on a Del Sol Lowboy frame right now. It's similar to the Electra Townie. Problem is that the laid-back geometry is no longer right for me. So, I'm looking to hook it all up to a new frame. I have a Specialized Rockhopper, but the seat stays are tapered. The issue that brings up is with the Bobike Maxi seat. The mounts on the seat stays slip down. So, I'm looking for a good solid frame that does not have tapered seat stays. Any ideas?
I have never seen a Bobbike Maxi up close, but from the website, it looks like there is also a mount that attaches to the seat tube. Can you use that instead?
Old 05-08-08, 10:49 AM
Beer-fueled

Bikes: Giant Rincon (199x), 2005 Trek 1000, 19?? "Apollo Sport 10" by Kuwahara

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly's Instigator doesn't have tapered seatstays and is burly as all get-out. My Xtracycle is a pre-owned Instigator frame with the Xtra, a Surly Instigator fork (rigid) and some balloon tires (Conti Town & Country). Plush and a lot more nimble than I thought it would be.
Old 05-08-08, 11:07 AM
procrastinating member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
I have never seen a Bobbike Maxi up close, but from the website, it looks like there is also a mount that attaches to the seat tube. Can you use that instead?
The Bobike Maxi mounts in three places- the upper with either a clamp on the upper end of the seatstays (near the upper cluster) or an adapter which clamps to the seattube, and the two lower points are clamps on each seatstay about halfway down- I suspect it is these lower clamps that are slipping...

I use an early 90s Iguana Giant (rigid MTB). Works great.
Old 05-08-08, 11:42 AM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepoole
The Bobike Maxi mounts in three places- the upper with either a clamp on the upper end of the seatstays (near the upper cluster) or an adapter which clamps to the seattube, and the two lower points are clamps on each seatstay about halfway down- I suspect it is these lower clamps that are slipping...

I use an early 90s Iguana Giant (rigid MTB). Works great.
Ahhhh ... thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-08-08, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.bobike.nl/products/en/atb...uismontage.htm
^^^
Could this be of help?

Originally Posted by Bobike.nl
A separate ATB bracket is available for the Bobike maxi+, maxi and junior. This bracket allows the seat to be mounted on bicycles with a non-standard frame. The Bobike junior then sits slightly further from the saddle.