Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Noblest Invention (Warning: Spoiler!!!)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 03:04 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An Illustrated History of the Bicycle, Forward By Lance Armstrong, By the editors of Bicycling Magazine.

Just finished reading the book, though most of it is pictures, etc. Learned some things I was not aware of and re-read about things I did already know about the most noblest invention of all time.

One thing I was not aware of was that Madison Square Garden in NYC was originaly built for track racing. I wonder if any part of the original contstruction remains, or if there is a history of it in the current building. Funny how it went from indoor track bicycle racing to what it is today.

I also found out that motorists have more to thank cyclists for. I knew that orignally because of bicyclists motorists now have good roads to travel on. But I also now know that the invention of the automobile was stemmed from bicycles.

Its funny how a lot of motorists complain, harrass and don't want us on the roads. Yet it is because of the bicyce that they themselves are on the roads. Instead of yelling complaints against us they should be thanking us for what they have today.

The book covers all aspects of cycling from the beginning to the present.

I recommend it for everyone to read.
Old 12-02-03, 03:46 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
N_C,

what spoiler?

There was (still is) an event in Track called a "Madison"
thus the name. From what I seem to recall the old
garden is long gone, torn down etc. I think the last
race was back in the 30's just prior to WWII, but I have
to check on that.
Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 12-02-03, 07:19 PM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as what I meant by spoiler is for those that have not read the book yet and may not want to know of its content. I know its not the same as posting about a movie or the TDF but I thought it'd be a good idea to let people know before they read this thread that the some of the content in the book will be divulged.
Old 12-02-03, 07:45 PM
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good book. It really captures the pasion of cycling with interesting pictures and text.
Old 12-03-03, 02:26 AM

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the original Madison Square Garden is gone. The current Madison Square Garden was built in the 1960s on the site of the original Pennsylvania (Penn) Station in Midtown Manhattan; the nationwide historic preservation movement was born from the demolition and loss of Penn Station, which was allowed/performed by NYC despite lots of public opposition. To my knowledge, there is no bike racing in the new Madison Square Garden, just hockey, basketball, music events, etc.
Old 12-03-03, 08:14 AM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took a quick peek at the Madison Square Garden Website yesterday. The current MSG is the fourth arena by that name.

A glance through the index of A Social History of the Bicycle by Robert Smith showed that the Madison Square Garden of the 1890s housed a cycling school. I wasn't able to determine when the MSG velodrome operated but, as Lotek said, the Madison race was introduced there.
Old 12-03-03, 11:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another good bicycle history book: The Bicycle by Pryor Dodge
Old 12-03-03, 11:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's some web links (sorry for the split post!)https://users.aol.com/pryordodge/bicyclebook.html
https://users.aol.com/pryordodge/bicyclexpo.html