Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cool uses for a folding bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I leave my Avenir folder in my cubicle at work so that if I need to go running errands at lunch time, or just feel like going for a bike ride, I can just grab a bike and go. So far it's working out brilliantly. Building security never gives me any hassles and I lock it to my desk when I'm not riding it.

What interesting or unusual uses have you found for your folding bikes?
Old 05-09-08, 12:08 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Standing on the saddle of my Raleigh Twenty so I could see over a fence and the rest of the crowd at the start of the Tour De France (in London UK) last summer. OK - so I could have done this on any bike -the folding wasn't important - but I got a better view than most and I felt quite smug in the moment of it!
Old 05-09-08, 12:35 PM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Due to my folding bike, I was able to ride in 6 different cities, in 3 different countries, 2 different continents in 48 hours, paying no extra charges and using no tools whatsoever.
Old 05-09-08, 04:36 PM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sprockets
...What interesting or unusual uses have you found for your folding bikes?

Something I would not have dreamed possible for any type of previous bike I had. The ability to intergrate so well into my life. In other words, I really can take it with me to more places than a regular bike can't go to or fit in well.
Old 05-09-08, 05:35 PM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Dahon now has taken up permanent residency in the back of my Outback wagon. Most work days it gets a few miles use either around the industrial site, or a short drive to a new railtrail that just opened. In short, it gets far more use than my other three bikes combined. I return to work after lunch with a whole new attitude each day!
Old 05-09-08, 09:40 PM
hcc

Bikes: Downtube IX FS 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibber
... or a short drive to a new railtrail that just opened ...
Hey, someone else from Dutchess County! I haven't taken my bike on any of the county railtrails yet but I plan to. Also, I can't wait until the Walkway project is complete. It'll be pretty awesome to bike across the river, and ride the trails on both sides.
Old 05-09-08, 09:44 PM
I... Don't care.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rear rack of my Kent makes a good kid-sized seat, and I've taken my lil sis on it several times. When I try taking her on the rack of the full-sized mtb she gets a scared because she gets too high off the ground (she's 7 and tiny).
Old 05-09-08, 11:31 PM
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LittlePixel
Standing on the saddle of my Raleigh Twenty so I could see over a fence and the rest of the crowd at the start of the Tour De France (in London UK) last summer. OK - so I could have done this on any bike -the folding wasn't important - but I got a better view than most and I felt quite smug in the moment of it!
Did I tell you the story of how I met Contador the day before the Prologue?
Old 05-10-08, 12:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my folder as an attention getter to attract girls. At least the girls that think "bicycle legs" are hawt. Well, that's my excuse. Hasn't worked yet.

Last edited by ilovebicycling; 05-10-08 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-10-08, 07:15 AM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovebicycling
I use my folder as an attention getter to attract girls. At least the girls that think "bicycle legs" are hawt. Well, that's my excuse. Hasn't worked yet.
It will work. It will work.

Old 05-10-08, 01:19 PM
Dahon Folding Bike Rider

Bikes: Dahon Folder 3 spd, Fuji 12 spd, Panasonic 10 spd, Diamondback 21 spd, Schwinn 12 spd, Honda 21 spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my folding bike as a coat rack and caddy. I do a half fold leaving both handlebars and seat up, drape my helmet, gloves, goggles, shoulder bag and jacket across the bars and tip it back and wheel it to to the apartment or department inside the facility I am visiting. I can park it and leave all my stuff on the bike without needing a coat rack, or forgetting anything when I leave. Of course you could do this with a regular bike too if they let you bring it in the front door.