Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

spoke tension question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

spoke tension question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
spoke tension question

I have a set of Mavic Aksium wheels, about a year old, 1700 miles or so. They have worked perfectly for me and are round and true to my eye. They have bladed spokes.

The other day I was changing the tube on the back wheel and just for fun, plucked the spokes. I'm not a wheel guy having never built or repaired a wheel, but I think I understand the basic principles.

On the non-drive side, I was surprised at how consistent the note was. Not exactly the same pitch, but to my ear as a guitar player familiar with tuning strings, they were remarkably close.

Except for one spoke that was a huge amount lower in pitch. Not exactly a "clunk" as opposed to a "ping" but much, much lower in pitch. Just this one spoke. I wiggled it and it's not noticably loose or broken, but you can feel it's not as tight.

Should I bring it to a shop and have them check it out? Like I said, the wheel spins round and true, and I rode it this past week about 100 miles (first week riding of the season!) and had no issues at all.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-08, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds to me like a loose spoke. Take the wheel to a shop and have them true it up. The longer you wait the more spokes will loosen.