Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Burlington-Seattle

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Burlington-Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burlington-Seattle

Hi im new heh just made my account and all ... but i need a question answered .... next week im going to take a bike trip to seattle ... i live about 65miles north of it in burlington. i have looked but its hard to google a very long question and get a correct answer. i want to know if its ok for me to use my bike on the Highway. highway here being I-5. were cars go fast with no stop lights heheh that one ... but i dont really wanna get on the highway w/o knowing and get a ticket for being on it. i looked and there was a website that i couldnt be on for a certain # of exits (between point A and B) i know if its true i will have to get off before these start but my main concern is if i can be on the highway period. if anyone has a answer plz reply. THANKS!
Old 05-12-08, 06:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a troll in relation to the dude that rode his bike onto I-5 last week?
Old 05-12-08, 07:17 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
This may be a troll, however, useful beta follows anyways. Interstate riding is generally fume laden and noisy, and each ramp system requires some 'heads up' planning as you approach each and every one.....

legal to bike on interstates in WA state except for a select few sections in heavily urbanized areas. Burlington to Seattle is one of those areas, however.......Looks like about 10 miles prohibited around Everett, (Marysville to the Mukilto Speedway exits), then again from the 405 all the way thru Tacoma )

personally, i'd ride towards Mount Vernon, then back roads on Lake Kavanaugh side of highway 9 south to the Centennial trail at Arlington, then Snohomish/Woodinville/BG, but what do I know? there's perhaps a smooth alt route that could get you South without crossing the 5? you'll still get closed out approaching the Everrett Slough, it's going to be better thru Snohomish...

the plan is for the Centennial trail to continue North out of Arlington all the way to Canada, perhaps some routefinding about the future Centennial trail extension might provide a useable route.

Last edited by Bekologist; 05-12-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-12-08, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is not a troll ... im actually doing this ... i dunno about some dude that rode his bike on I-5 last week ... so ya i have an alt route but I-5 may be faster. thanks for the reply's tho
Old 05-12-08, 06:31 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
well, you're only going to get a few miles on I-5 before you have to exit.

you can ride south to marysville, then cut over to arlington and take the snohomish trail all the way to snoho, then it's a 10 mile country road ride to Woodinville, where you could pick up the Burke Gilman all the way to Seattle.

the BG/Centennial trail hookup route serves admirably well. When I ride North out of Seattle, that's the route I take. it's very, very pleasant.

Best of luck on the trip! stay safe, have fun.